2006 dodge ram quad cab with a hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. So I was out buying a new front end for my chev winter truck. While I was at the body shop I saw a black quad cab sitting there,so I bought it.
170000kms. Who has one,what oil,what about hemi tick considered to be from thin oils.
Oil recommendation and grade.
Save the mobil 1recommendations,I'm not interested. I want to know from owners or former owners of this truck about quirks and suck. What oils did you use,uoa's if any are around.
What about this cylinder de-activation stuff. How has it performed in the long run.

Thanks guys. Any info on these trucks would be great. I am no dodge fan however 5 grand was tough to turn down.
I pick it up next Friday.

Run PYB 5w-20 with a decent filter and it will work well for you. The HEMI's cylinder deactivation works best on 5w-20 . No serious long term problems have really come up , just use the 5w-20 at normal oci's and it will work well for you.

Pretty much any 5w20 will work. Me being me and thinking oil cost is *nothing* compared to the rest of operating costs, I'd run a good synthetic. M1, PP/PU, RP, you name it. I've also decided that the Fram Ultra is the best bang for the buck in filters currently on the market. I like it as much as I hate the orange can of death. Hard to believe the same company makes them both.

The other consideration is the trans- ONLY ATF+4. No "Dexron plus spoogegard" additive concoctions. REAL ATF+4. Brand doesn't matter, but ATF+4 does.

Enjoy your new-to-you truck!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Pretty much any 5w20 will work. Me being me and thinking oil cost is *nothing* compared to the rest of operating costs, I'd run a good synthetic. M1, PP/PU, RP, you name it. I've also decided that the Fram Ultra is the best bang for the buck in filters currently on the market. I like it as much as I hate the orange can of death. Hard to believe the same company makes them both.

The other consideration is the trans- ONLY ATF+4. No "Dexron plus spoogegard" additive concoctions. REAL ATF+4. Brand doesn't matter, but ATF+4 does.

+1

take the vin # to a dealer service dept. Have them run it and print out the specs for your truck.

If you have MDS stick with 20 weight.

Oddly with mine it uses oil (about 1qt every 3500mi) on 10w-30, but doesnt use a drop on 5w-20. 5w-20 or 0w-20 will probably be my next fill.

Originally Posted By: shell_user
How about Rotella T5 10W30 and WIX filter?

I wouldn't use a HDEO 10w-30 in that engine coming up on a CA winter. It could also interfere with mds.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

^Great post.^ I'd suggest Maxlife 5w20 or GTX HM 5w20 for your Dodge.

So the 06's were a 5w-20 spec then. I wasn't sure when it changed,or if it was ever spec'd for a 5w-30.
Ya. Pyb is my go to oil when in doubt. I was thinking a 0w but I wanted some opinions from guys who have em.
What about hemi tick. Some do,some don't. Any idea why.
And thanks for the responses guys.
I really am not a dodge fan,in fact a hemi would be my very last choice,but the price is just to hard to pass up.
And this back seat is actually a seat,my kids will be able to actually use a door unlike my chev that has the 3rd door that they have to climb over. And the youngest is in a booster seat due to size,now her knees won't be into her chin.

Not sure exactly what years spec 5w20. Even now (or at least a year or two ago) the non-MDS version in the Ram 2500 spec'd 5w30, so the engine itself isn't picky.

"Hemi tick" is mostly just the pushrod/rocker geometry- its a little wonky with some side-loading on the rocker and as the clearances take up, there are tick sounds. Lots of engines have done that- the 60s Hemi, big-block Chevies with their splayed valve setup, etc. I think it tends to stand out more on the modern hemi because its quieter and more refined otherwise. I mean who really heard subtle valve noises on a 454? Really? ;-)

As for 0w oils, I've compared M1 0w20AFE and 5w20 in my 4.7. At operating temperature there's just no discernable difference in oil pressure on my mechanical gauge, so there's no downside at all to the 0w20 in my opinion. Go for it- it makes a lot more sense in your climate than it does in mine!

Not a Hemi fan, but you will be. I bought mine in 2006 and I love it. I dont like the gas milelage. But I tow with mine and I love the power. I would change the rear end grease. Dodge has a rediculas maintence schedule for the 2500/3500 s. So to keep my lifetime warranty, I abide by it. The 1/2 tons are different, but I have heard of people having trouble with the 1/2 tons and they blamed lack of maintence.

i have a 2012 and ive used Amsoil OE and RP sn. i prefer the RP sn as it allows the MDS to operate a little more smoothly. The OE made the mds a little harsher. i suppose that is because it is a thicker 5w20. if yours has MDS use 5w20 if it dsnt have MDS use 5w30 or 5w20 either one.

Last edited:
Mine has been great so far. MDS works fine on 0w30 and have never felt it engage, has been the same on this oil as it was on factory 5w20. Keep an eye on the 30k tune up and make sure to use OEM plugs.

I nurse one of these with very high mileage for an employee of ours. It has zero engine issues. The Hemi has proven quite reliable and remarkably unaffected by oil choice.

Use whatever you want and MDS still works no matter what you've heard.

In 2006 the oil spec was 5W20 for ALL Ram's( 1500, 2500, 3500, Mega Cab )with the 5.7L HEMI. With MDS( 1500 only )and without( 2500, 3500, Mega Cab ).

NOTE - just for those saying they don't know the HEMI oil spec's in the 3rd Generation Ram's w/ 5.7L HEMI( 03-09[HD only] )...

2003-2004 = 5W30 or 10W30
2005 = 5W20 ALL Ram's
2007-2009(HD only) = 5W20 1500's w/ MDS and HD's/Mega's under 14000lbs GVWR & 5W30 in non MDS HEMI's used in HD's over 14000lbs GVWR

Seeing as it is highly doubtful that the OP has any warranty to worry about weight isn't as big of an issue. However, I personally subscribe to the thought process that MDS was designed to run on 5W20 so that is what should be used. I might push it to a 30 weight but I would not run 40 or 50 weights. JMHO.

As far as the HEMI tick. I have had 2 3rd Generation Rams. A 2004 and a 2008. Both had the 5.7L HEMI. I had the tick BAD on the 04 almost right out of the box. Once I swapped to RP 5W30 around 5000 miles( I ususally do it sooner but took longer on that truck )the noise was reduced approx 80-85%. On the 08 I got swapped over to RP sooner and never had the tick at all( not saying the RP prevented it - just saying didn't ever get it ). I ran 5W20 in the 08 due to the MDS.

Back when I had the 04 especially RP was definitelly the oil most favored to stop the tick on the Ram and HEMI forums I visited. Amsoil was probably the 2nd most popular. M1 actually seemed to have a reputation of making it louder? Regardless of brand synthetic was used to quiet it. By 08 you didn't hear as much about the tick in the newer trucks. If I had a Ram w/ the tick my 1st step would be to run some RP in it. Have seen it work personally.

Now, back then it was the old formula RP w/ Synerlec( API SL ). Not so sure the newer API SN formula would do the same job of quieting the tick? I would be more inclined to use their new HPS line that still has synerlec if I had the tick and wanted to try and quiet it.

As was said earlier, the 3rd Gen Ram's are great trucks with few problems. Also, stick with ATF+4 ATF or a compatible universal synthetic like RP MaxATF or Amsoil.

Enjoy the ride. Just make sure you plan your trips so you stay within close proximity to gas stations. Them thar HEMI's love them some gas.
grin.gif
Only bad thing I can say about the HEMI trucks I had was the ABYSMAL MPG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
In 2006 the oil spec was 5W20 for ALL Ram's( 1500, 2500, 3500, Mega Cab )with the 5.7L HEMI. With MDS( 1500 only )and without( 2500, 3500, Mega Cab ).

NOTE - just for those saying they don't know the HEMI oil spec's in the 3rd Generation Ram's w/ 5.7L HEMI( 03-09[HD only] )...

2003-2004 = 5W30 or 10W30
2005 = 5W20 ALL Ram's
2007-2009(HD only) = 5W20 1500's w/ MDS and HD's/Mega's under 14000lbs GVWR & 5W30 in non MDS HEMI's used in HD's over 14000lbs GVWR

Seeing as it is highly doubtful that the OP has any warranty to worry about weight isn't as big of an issue. However, I personally subscribe to the thought process that MDS was designed to run on 5W20 so that is what should be used. I might push it to a 30 weight but I would not run 40 or 50 weights. JMHO.

As far as the HEMI tick. I have had 2 3rd Generation Rams. A 2004 and a 2008. Both had the 5.7L HEMI. I had the tick BAD on the 04 almost right out of the box. Once I swapped to RP 5W30 around 5000 miles( I ususally do it sooner but took longer on that truck )the noise was reduced approx 80-85%. On the 08 I got swapped over to RP sooner and never had the tick at all( not saying the RP prevented it - just saying didn't ever get it ). I ran 5W20 in the 08 due to the MDS.

Back when I had the 04 especially RP was definitelly the oil most favored to stop the tick on the Ram and HEMI forums I visited. Amsoil was probably the 2nd most popular. M1 actually seemed to have a reputation of making it louder? Regardless of brand synthetic was used to quiet it. By 08 you didn't hear as much about the tick in the newer trucks. If I had a Ram w/ the tick my 1st step would be to run some RP in it. Have seen it work personally.

Now, back then it was the old formula RP w/ Synerlec( API SL ). Not so sure the newer API SN formula would do the same job of quieting the tick? I would be more inclined to use their new HPS line that still has synerlec if I had the tick and wanted to try and quiet it.

As was said earlier, the 3rd Gen Ram's are great trucks with few problems. Also, stick with ATF+4 ATF or a compatible universal synthetic like RP MaxATF or Amsoil.

Enjoy the ride. Just make sure you plan your trips so you stay within close proximity to gas stations. Them thar HEMI's love them some gas.
grin.gif
Only bad thing I can say about the HEMI trucks I had was the ABYSMAL MPG.

My truck had a slight tick when i changed to mobil super to dump the factory fill at 2k miles. the next fill was amsoil OE and RP SN after that, tick was non-existent with both oils. the RP is the quietest oil so far in the truck.

I agree that the MDS will work fine with 30wts, but i promise mine was not as smooth with the thicker Amsoil. i love amsoil, but i hated the MDS locking on and stuttering before switching to 8 cylinders again. it just hesitated during operation. i did not have this problem at all with the factory fill, mobil super, or RP. Im not saying some guys arent having good luck with thicker oils in MDS trucks, but mine does do better with a thinner 5w20 oil. i suspect thats why many HEMI guys love PP 5w20.

My truck always gets 17-19 mpg and its crew cab and 4x4 so ive been pleased with it. my old f150 FX4 5.4l could never get above 17mpg ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back