2006 Dodge Diesel Need Help On By Pass Filter !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now THATS what I have been fishing for here all along..

I've tossed out all the bait in the boat trying to get someone to determine what size particle in the oil is damaging and what size particle just doesn't mean diddly.

I'm personally banking on particles that are smaller then a red blood cell as not being that damaging.. But then again, who knows!

stooges.gif
feedtroll.gif
stooges.gif

I looked up the Baldwin B50 filters. The description said that they are meant for Carrier Refrigeration units.

My question is will they take the heat?

handyman, you need to go back again to www.baldinwfilters.com and look at the online catalog. then choose "Product Guide" on the left. In the part number put in B50. Then keep searchg though all the applications. Fiat, Jeep, etc. Apparently it was the filter of use on the Jeep automotive engines.

So, yes, it can handle the heat.
smile.gif
All the other variances are simply length differences, shorter or longer.

Darth-Sidious.jpg

Nebraskan
You’re right, it does say jeep.

That a little odd to me because you usually don't see a screw on bypass filter used as a regular filter on a car.

It did not say how far it filtered. Where do you find the specifications on it? How far it will filter to?

I Have been out of the country, Thank You All For all the input on the by pass filter. I'm Looking at a Oilguard by-pass filter NEW EPS-20 What do you all think of that unit ?

Best Regards,
Col.
usa2.gif

Quote:

OBTW MD13, have a read and see if you still want to take those blood cells to the bank:

http://www.natrib.com/publications/appnotes/app_clean.php
shocked.gif

Read the article. Yep your TP sort of bit the dust! LOL
laugh.gif

not really, but if you read the parts about the beta and so forth, you certainly get a grasp of the scope of oil contaminations and cleanliness,,,, but this was more to do with "machinery" as a general field.

Practicality of the whole scenario read that 6 microns and above are a target group for journal bearings. Now if you manage to get less than 6µm in your filtrations so be it. They said, and quotes ... "Knowledge of the machine clearances and particle sizes that are indicative of wear can yield a particle size to focus on and provide information about the particle sizes that are present in greatest quantities. In rolling element bearings, the particle size of interest might be three microns and above; in a journal bearing, the particle size of interest might be six microns and above."

They also mentioned synthetic material as superior to some of the other commonly found material, but did ingress about, or could be said, complemented Toilet Paper as it does have the ability to hold water.. how much it affects the total filtrations I am not certain of.... " Synthetic media offer superior performance in a variety of fluids and in the presence of water. Other media, such as cotton fibers and cellulose (paper), will absorb water, causing swelling or breakdown. Some filter elements are specifically constructed or treated to absorb or coalesce limited amounts of free water."

And for Col.
smile.gif
Your thoughts on the Oil Guard is an excellent choice. This article also mentioned the better filtrations being one that filtered coarser going down to finer material removed. ALL filters work better that way. We use the same principal at the winery. Oil Guard does that too in the way they filter. Like I mentioned it was one I was most interested in...except for cost.

I just don't care for the increased costs of the Oil Guard filters of recent. That's just my prerogative, though. I'll stick with the B50 with it's absolute 7µm and nominal 3µm filtrations as I think it will do me for what I want a BP filter to do. After all, I'm not driving this car to a Million miles.. it will rust entirely out by around 300,000 or so miles in this soppy wet, salty Michigan road conditions!!
shocked.gif

Darth-Sidious.jpg

Quote:

the B50 with it's absolute 7µm and nominal 3µm filtrations as I think it will do me for what I want a BP filter to do.

Yyyyep. B50's good enough. I just prefer better.
cool.gif

Hello acewiza I see by your sig your Ret Military,If you Dont Mind me Asking What Branch How many Years ? Rank ?

Best Regards,
Col.
usa2.gif

On the Jeep for spin on, remember that it is an odd ball sized thread, 5/8" x 18 pitch. Those that took it were probably already plumed for a bypass filtration system and wouldn't be intended for the full flow with such a small 1/16" (0.0625") restrictor orifice.

I don't have anything against the TP, but my issue is trying to find some limited space under the hood of my Buick. I think I can do it a bit better with that B50+mount a little easier. I really like the oil guards, but didn't like the prices increase. I also like the Amsoil, except again, for their prices. So... it's a trade off of size restraints, physical, price... against what I can get by with. I like better as well, but I couldn't throw a screaming cat under the hood and make it stick! LOL
laugh.gif

Darth-Sidious.jpg

Ok Guys My Oilgaurd System Just Came in , Where in the world Do You Put The Can (filter) 2006 dodge mega , Man i See No Room Under The hood ,I hate to weld or drill into my Frame rail ? You Guys Got Me This Far ! Take me all The Way.

Thanks guys
Col.

We didn't get you anywhere, Colonel, you got here yourself.
patriot.gif
I have no idea what the underhood looks like on a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Mega Cab. Perhaps someone else does and/or has similar vehicle.

Before I ever ordered the base for my Baldwin I took the filter and looked at all possibilities under my hoot, in front of the radiator, and others, just to get a conceptual idea of where I might go with it.
You wouldn't drive a tank battalion down a narrow ravine that only a jeep would pass though, without figuring out alternative routes.
wink.gif

Darth-Sidious.jpg

Col: You may want to post this in the diesel forum. It belongs here, sure enough, but you might get a bit more traffic there.
dunno.gif

I suppose the new ones are getting pretty crowded under the hood, even the full-sized pickups these days. Basically you just gotta find someplace you can bolt it onto, and reverse engineer the plumbing from there. Crawl around underneath. Bet you'll find a spot down under somewhere.

Ok Guys Got It DONE ! What a Job it was , The Filter it Self Was Not a Bad Job, Just Finding a Spot To Put It ! Ok i Put The Darn Can In Ft of the Tire Pass Side On The Frame As Close to the ft bumper.may have to Mod the mud guard to fit now ? Ran out of Light So i Quit. But every thing is working no leaks ! O Ya i Did Change my oil (Long Rider) and a New Donaldson Oil Filter . Starting Off On The Right Foot i Hope. I will be keeping a Close eye on the oil and sending off for a Oil Sample. Also Next Project is a Gulf Coast By pass System on my Second 2006 mega Cab, It Will Be Very Interesting To See who what is The Best out There .Both Trucks are the same ! They both have around 9k on them.
If You All have any Interest in What I'm Doing I Will Post My Findings

Best Regards

Col.

Thanks For All Your Input !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back