2006 Crown Vic Police, Valvoline 5W20, 5K Mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standard 4.6L V8 in the CVPI, no modifications. Engine has 35K miles on it at time of sample. Very hard use, many hard WOT runs and included some cool ambient temps as well (20's F).

Analysis by OAI. They flagged the TBN as abnormal and recommended the oil be changed because of it if not already done. (it was done at time of sample)

Iron 14
Chromium 2
Lead 9
Copper 2
Tin 0
Aluminum 3
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 9
Boron 1
Sodium 293
Magnesium 14
Calcium 1505
Barium 0
Phosphorus 483
Zinc 578
Moly 2
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potassium 0

Fuel/Water/Coolant 0
Visc.@100C 8.01
TBN 2.39

wouldn't call 2.39 TBN "abnormal."

“Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are” -Kurt Cobain

I thought 2.39 was a pretty decent TBN for a dino with 5K of usage.

PS: That's a strange quote coming from a guy who committed suicide.

Yes, active duty. It is in service 5 days a week, 24 hours a day. That doesn't mean it runs that whole time, but is in service. I would say it is actually running about 6-8 hours a day, and puts on about 2500 miles per month. Lots of idling.

With the amount of miles you put on, it would be interesting to do 'comaprison' runs with another 5W-20, like GTX or YB, to see if TBN/visc...etc.. is the same.

This is the kind of service where a top tier synthetic oil would be a more viable option IMO. Something like Amsoil ASM, or Mobil 1 EP 5w-20. Would make for a lot less oil changes.

What was the time on this interval?

Although the additive package looks less than impressive on paper, I think the wear metals are fine for police service.

Any idea how many hours the engine accumulated during the 5000 mile OCI?

Last edited:
Knowing how much idle time and start ups police vehicles get this report is great. Add in all the start ups and idle time these vehicles get and mileage equvalent could be 3 times the actual mileage.

The oil was in service for about 2 months, it was put in the car on 01/22/2009 and changed on 03/30/2009. No idea on hours the engine ran for, just guessing about 6-8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

I doubt our fleet manager will go for any synthetics or extended drain intervals. We just now are switching to 4K mile intervals from 3K. Ford recommends 5K for severe service such as this, I know...but old habits die hard you know. We have the oil changed at the Valvoline Express Care because it is quick (10 minutes) and the cars don't have to go out of service like if we took them to Ford. Plus they top off all fluids and check the air filter, etc... I doubt we would want to wait longer than 2 months/5K miles to check fluids, filter, etc...because we don't do it at the station.

Are you able to run a 5w-30? I think that would help reduce wear towards the end of the service interval, and possibly prolong it. The thought of a 20 wt conventional oil being abused for thousands of miles makes me nervous.

Are you a tech who maintains a fleet?

Kevin

smirk2.gif

No, not a fleet manager, but I am helping the guy who is in charge of our fleet. He would never go for a 5W30 because Ford recommends 5W20. That is also why we will never go longer than 5K miles because Ford recommends it. Same for tires, brakes, etc. We use OEM replacement parts so in the unlikely event something does happen, our butt is not on the line for using non-recommended parts.

Say a brake pad fails during a high speed pursuit that causes the police car to drive into a house and kills someone. If we used brakes that were not recommended by Ford, that opens the door to a potential lawsuit. And you know how people love to sue each other...let alone a police agency.

Originally Posted By: HighViscosity
Are you able to run a 5w-30? I think that would help reduce wear towards the end of the service interval, and possibly prolong it. The thought of a 20 wt conventional oil being abused for thousands of miles makes me nervous.

Shh, they will jump you for saying such a thing (although I agree).

I'd have to say that while a synthetic might last longer in service, I don't know that it would have done much better in regard to wear metals, etc.

These cars are often treated like party rental vehicles; the abuse can be appalling at times. (I know, because I too drive them hard). Most of us would never treat our own personal cars this way.

I'd say for the type driving involved, both the engine and oil did quite well for a conventional 5w-20 in 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: theedge67
No, not a fleet manager, but I am helping the guy who is in charge of our fleet. He would never go for a 5W30 because Ford recommends 5W20. That is also why we will never go longer than 5K miles because Ford recommends it. Same for tires, brakes, etc. We use OEM replacement parts so in the unlikely event something does happen, our butt is not on the line for using non-recommended parts.

Say a brake pad fails during a high speed pursuit that causes the police car to drive into a house and kills someone. If we used brakes that were not recommended by Ford, that opens the door to a potential lawsuit. And you know how people love to sue each other...let alone a police agency.

Yep, exactly! Being a retired police officer I understand the agency's responsibility to follow recommendations. Lawsuits come easy enough as it is. Also understanding the type of abuse police vehicles go through, I thought your lab results were veery good.

Looks good to me. These police fleet vehicles take a lot of abuse and still are retired in running condition. I agree with sticking to factory recs.

Police cars are tools, and are treated as such unfortunately. I wish my agency would quite using our shops and just take it to the local Ford dealer for oil changes. The newer Crown Vic's have an hour meter. I think we run 76 5w/20 in our cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back