2006 Civic, Havoline 5W20, 4,663 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My latest UOA:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee149/BrorJace/OilAnalysis_11-14-07d.jpg

This is the first UOA for this car ... on the 3rd batch of oil.

Oil filter: Nissan OEM (leftovers I have that fit)
Air Filter: Factory OEM

Oil Additives: None but I did use about 0.5 quarts of Schaeffer 5W-30 (to use it up) and about 0.25 of Chevron 10W-30 a few weeks before the oil was drained.

Fuel adds: An ounce or so of UCL every other tankful ... that's about it.

I gently drive this car for maximum mileage ... although most of the miles are strictly city driving in relatively heavy traffic.

Not a bad result. Some fuel dilution (expected) and without the 30 weight oils, there would be a fair amount more shearing/dilution evident.

New oil fill: Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20.

what kind of civic si or dx/lx/ex?
looking forward to seeing PP 5-20. Are you going to do a oil analysis on it?

Bulli, it's an LX ... I think the DX, LX and EX all have the same motor. If it was an Si (with a lot more power) I probably would have said so.
wink.gif

Yeah, I'll have the PP 5W-20 analyzed. It won't be as good ... not with going through a northeastern winter.
frown.gif
That won't be until March or April '08. With such a short commute, the miles rack up quite slowly.

I have a lot of both ... but more Havoline in stock. I'll probably go back to the Havoline for the summer months ... but this time I'll use up the rest of my Schaeffer's 132 moly additive.
smile.gif

Click on it with your cursor. "+".

In spite of obvious fuel issues (FP/visc as you mentioned) ..that's one BORING UOA. Silicon may be from newness

You're another candidate for 0w-10 oils.

cheers3.gif

Proud user of Bruceblend® 0w oils
Oils for the future
Oils for today

It's strange how much more Moly was in your sample than mine, almost doubled it!
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post973168

Havoline works great in our Honda engines though, that's for sure
smile.gif

Edit: Noticed you added some other oils, and it's 5W20 rather than my 5W30, that could have something to do with it. Regardless, looks like a perfect report aside from that fuel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Click on it with your cursor. "+".

thanks for the tip. UOA looks good, besides fuel dilution with flashpoint of 350.

That's a normal flashpoint for the new Havoline DS. Seems more new formulations from other oil producers are going thinner viscosity with less flashpoint.

Cute Humor, I expected that link to be a hot link and pull up the JPG automatically ... oh well.
frown.gif

And that JPEG IS a bit smaller than the original PDF ... I probably should have tried harder to take a full-size screen shot when I converted it to a JPG ... but I did fix/clarify the numbers so they all should be legible even at a smaller document size.

Gary Allen: "You're another candidate for 0w-10 oils."

Maybe ... we'll see how a 5W-20 does first (with no adds). I like boring UOAs ... as opposed to others in my past.
wink.gif

Next UOA will be a winter one ... not likely to be great. Oh, and I am replacing the air filter in the next few days.

ThirdeYe, I was a little surprised by the moly, too. I expected it to be just below 200 ... even taking into account the 0.75 qt. of Schaeffer & Chevron oils added. Thanks for the link to your report. Always good to have another for reference. Hard to believe your aluminum of 1! Of course, you put on about 2,000+ miles per month ... while I average less than 800. More freeway miles with many fewer cold starts.

My Havoline is pre-Deposit Shield. I bought it on clearance last year ... and have enough for at least another year ... same with the Pennzoil Platinum I have in there now. It's the largest oil stash since my 2002 order of Schaeffer.

One of my best friends uses the pre-DS Havoline in his Integra too, and he seems happy with it. I think he still has enough left for another change or two. Maybe the older Havoline had more moly than the DS formulation, who knows
smile.gif
As for the low Aluminum, it probably has something to do with the fact that my valves were adjusted just 2,000 miles before that run of Havoline.

Last edited:
ThirdeYe, I'm pretty sure pre-DS Havoline had a lot more moly than the newer stuff.

LT4Vette, Not sure if UCL affected the UOA at all ... probably minimally. I got zero for chromium which is a sign that ring wear was nil ... because of the UCL? Who knows? :???:

When I use it up (soon) I'll be replacing it with something else like Fuel Power, Neutra or RLI. My gut tells me that UCL is a very, very mild product when it comes to cleaning ... it's odorless ... how many cleaners of any type are orderless?
smirk2.gif

Mileage seemed a touch better than with no additives ... but I can say the same for MMO which I've tried recently in other vehicles.

Hi everyone. Been a while since I posted a sample ... but this is my winter run using Pennzoil 0W-20. Fuel adds were a little MMO and some Lucas UCL (I'm finishing off the bottle now). Driving went from 90% inner city driving in Nov-Jan to 70% highway in Feb through current as I switched jobs at that time. Also, I changed the air filter halfway through this interval.

For warmer weather, I switched back to Havoline 5W-20 and even added the last of my Schaeffer 132 to the crankcase.

Blackstone: "The rise in aluminum, from pistons, is a little unusual but it may just be a one-time spike that should settle back down. We'll know more as we see wear trends develop for your Honda's 4-cylinder. The rest of the wear metals looked good in comparison to universal averages so we doubt any major problems have developed. 0.5% fuel was like from city driving and that usually doesn't affect wear. It can if gas went above the 2.0% level. The oil's viscosity was normal and air and oil filtration looked fine. Check back for another look at aluminum. "

Oil Brand: Tex. Havoline / Penz. Platinum
Oil Weight 5W-20 / 0W-20
Oil Filter Nissan OEM / Purolator
Air Filter Honda OEM / Honda/Wix
Miles on Sample 4,663 / 3,504
Miles on vehicle 11,902 / 15,406
oil used (qts) 0.25 / 0
Sample Date 11/6/07 / 3/22/08

Aluminum 6 / 9
Chromium 0 / 1
Iron 9 / 10
Copper 2 / 2
Lead 0 / 1
Tin 0 / 0
Molybdenum 242 / 68
Nickel 0 / 0
Manganese 0 / 1
Silver 0 / 0
Titanium 0 / 0
Vanadium 0 / 0
Potassium 0 / 1
Boron 27 / 33

Silicon 12 / 10
Sodium 2 / 9
Calcium 1,474 / 2,873
Magnesium 24 / 17
Phosphorous 579 / 710
Zinc 678 / 684
Barium 0 / 0

Flash Point 350 / 345
Fuel % trace / 0.5
SUS Viscosity @ 212 53.1 / 50.5
cSt Viscosity @ 100 8.2 / 7.43
Antifreeze % 0 / 0
Water 0 / 0
Insolubles 0.2 / 0.3

TBN 3.2 / n.a.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Which lab? How did the air filter look? Have you cut open any of the oil filters?

From above:

Quote:
Blackstone: "The rise in aluminum, from pistons, is a little unusual but it may just be a one-time spike that should settle back down. We'll know more as we see wear trends develop for your Honda's 4-cylinder. The rest of the wear metals looked good in comparison to universal averages so we doubt any major problems have developed. 0.5% fuel was like from city driving and that usually doesn't affect wear. It can if gas went above the 2.0% level. The oil's viscosity was normal and air and oil filtration looked fine. Check back for another look at aluminum. "

Bold and underline added by me.
grin2.gif

Numbers still look pretty low. I do think the weather does make most UOAs look worst.

Take care, Bill

Yes, I suppose for a winter report it looks pretty good. That flagged aluminum doesn't give me the warm & fuzzies ... but it might be dirt from a questionable original air filter. With the new Wix filter in place, that should be a thing of the past. I might just inspect my filter again, just to see if I can find tell-tales signs of an air leak past the element.

Wear elsewhere is either at universal averages or lower so I can't complain.

The Havoline and Schaef. M132 will be in there until end of July or so when I'll drain and that refill should take me to December when I'll go back to Pennzoil Platinum for the winter.

imo, 2-Cycle oil at 500:1 is the best fuel additive....by FAR.

My Havoline DS "mix" is usually 5w-20 HDS spiked with a quart of Havoline Synth 10w-30, just because I have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back