2006 Chevrolet HHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, Dodge Magnum/300 body, PT Cruiser hood, and Hemi Truck front. I'm more of a "just get me there" kind of guy versus the "get me there in "style?"" kind of guy.

Steve

I love mine. This is one versatile ride! OK while its not a lumber truck you can haul 2x4's in it if you want too. Adequate power:it will churn the front tires on takeoff. I got 29.7 MPG average on about 70 percent highway travel. Handles and rides surprisingly well. And the power seat IS comfortable for me. No quality issues at all. Very reasonable price for the amount of vehicle quality, ascessories,and comfort delivered by the general. Tested the PT, Element, and Scion, for me the HHR won hands down. If I had the money I would buy another. Rickey.

It must be selling well - I'm seeing them all over now.
Not as good-looking as the PT was, but it's not bad.
Good colors.

Interested to see how reliability holds up over the next few years...
Congrat's.

Scott

I agree - see them all over here too. I'm a bit west of you ScottB. This is a good thing for GM.
grin.gif

I think they look a little weird but the style could easily grow on me. 29MPG is incredible for that thing!!! People are really going to like that.

Yeah, I'm not bagging on it - I didn't like the pix of them, but yes, in person, they're growing on me.
They look good with tinted windows and bigger tires/wheels - not BLING, just a little bigger/shinier
smile.gif

Scott

quote:

29MPG is incredible for that thing!!!

How is that incredible?
The the 3.5L V6 270 hp Toyota Avalon gets 31 mpg.

BTW, cars like the HHR are just short lived niche models that won't save GM from the looming disaster.
Too little, too late.

[ April 02, 2006, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: vad ]

I like the HHR.

If I have the $$, I'd buy one right away.

Nicer layout than the PT Cruiser and I like the motor much better.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by vad:

quote:

29MPG is incredible for that thing!!!

How is that incredible?
The the 3.5L V6 270 hp Toyota Avalon gets 31 mpg.

BTW, cars like the HHR are just short lived niche models that won't save GM from the looming disaster.
Too little, too late.

The HHR is a lot less aerodynamic than the Avalon. The closest comparable car, the PT cruiser, gets low 20's for mpg.

The HHR will have to show the reliability of the Asian counterparts.

It's a nice little wagon and I can't blame someone for liking it.

We'll see how the reliabilty experience fares. The Ford Focus has gotten pretty bad reviews in that area.

quote:

Originally posted by vad:

It may not save GM but it's not necessarily a short live niche model, either. We are now into the 7th model year of the PT Cruiser and it's still a strong seller for Chrysler.

yeah I thought the PT cruiser would last a few years. then drop off the face of the earth. heck I thnk its doing better than the new bug. man you see them in all the use car lots.

Man, I had one of these as a rental and have to say it has the worst blind spots of any vehicle I have ever driven. And it is small. Two adults in the front seats are almost touching shoulders.
It does have a peppy little engine though, truthfully a chick car IMO (sorry). If it was built on the Trailblazer platfor instead of the Cobalt it might be a little better. I was actually more comfortable in the back seat.

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
The HHR is a lot less aerodynamic than the Avalon. The closest comparable car, the PT cruiser, gets low 20's for mpg.

That's exactly right.
This is a huge problem in the world of high gas prices - one of the big reasons why this kind of vehicles have a very limited, short lived appeal.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
If it was built on the Trailblazer platfor instead of the Cobalt it might be a little better. I was actually more comfortable in the back seat.

It would also be humungous!

Even though this is a GM copy of the Chrysler PT Cruiser, I think it's a much better designed vehicle. I also think the powertrain is much better than the Cruiser. My mom & dad have an '01 Cruiser and the gas mileage is horrible. My dad always complains about how much worse MPG they get in the Cruiser vs. the '00 Buick Park Avenue 3800 V6 they had before it. To me, the engine is very buzzy.

The HHR is selling like hotcakes. GM has boosted production a few times since it started being produced. My mom is now looking at replacing her Cruiser with an HHR. If you go on Edmunds.com and read the customer reviews on the HHR, 99% of them are in love with this vehicle. People talk about the great gas mileage in the HHR. Some people are even getting mid to high 30's mpg.

The Ecotec engine is proving to be a pretty bad-*** little engine.

You can say what you want about "it's not going to save GM" or whatever, but the fact of the matter is that GM is trying and improving their products. It seems like whenever somebody on a message board like this mentions a GM product, there's always a handful of people that like to turn it into a "GM sucks, this vehicle won't save them, blah blah blah". GM has obviously had their problems for the last 20-30 years. It's no secret. But they are trying to improve their products and are doing so. You can't just turn around a corporation of GM's size overnight. It will take time for them to right all their wrongs from the last few decades. What's important is that they are trying and succeeding at improving.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
If it was built on the Trailblazer platfor instead of the Cobalt it might be a little better. I was actually more comfortable in the back seat.

If it was on the Trailblazer platform, it would just be another Trailblazer. The point of this vehicle was not a huge gas-guzzling people and cargo hauler. Rather, it was meant to be an EFFICIENT people mover.

GM just can't win with some people. People love to ***** about GM's SUV's. But now when they come out with a small efficient people mover, people still *****.

By the way, GM's SUV's sip less gas than than most other SUV's . And now with the 2007 full-size SUV's they are even better on gas.

mshu7:

Customer reviews on an all-new vehicle are not worth much, IMO. Everyone loves their new cars (barring a lemon) for at least a year or so. Let's see how they do longer-term.

I agree though, they are TRYING, and it is a fresh idea of sorts - kinda PT-like maybe, but that's OK.

I wish them luck. GM needs it - and a major re-org
wink.gif

Scott

ScottB,

You have a valid point. With the way that people love to bash GM, it's just nice to finally see an overwhelming positive reaction to a GM vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back