2006 Chevrolet HHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody wishes them a prosperous future more than I.
Sadly, reality has taken it's toll on the US Big-3.

The US's inability to focus internally for OUR long-term good is saddening to me.

I hope we get it together before we're the new China.

Scott

quote:

Nobody wishes them a prosperous future more than I.
Sadly, reality has taken it's toll on the US Big-3.

Scott I'm sure nobody wants the once great American autoindustry to go bankrupt, assuming they reform their operations.
Unfortunately they have become too big, too arrogant, too inefficient, too slow to react to the changing market etc, etc, etc.
In its current form they've lost their ability to reform, to confront the Unions, to compete in general.
I don't want this thread to drift off the topic.
I suggest you guys read more about this situation, the reasons and possible solutions.
Go to this website and read all the articles (63 so far) under the "General Motors Death Watch" hat.
You'll get a much broader view of the situation.

My Mom is about to buy an HHR. I think they're pretty cool myself.

The majority of the folks driving them tend to be older folks like my Mom from what I've seen.

Well, the Sky is way cool, so maybe...
smile.gif

Besides the Sky being an awesome vehicle, they have the Aura coming out to replace the "L" series. They also have a new crossover coming out called the Outlook.

Aura:

-

-

-

They haven't released any photos other than this for the Outlook:
 -

I've driven an HHR myself and I have to agree with the other posters who have this vehicle. It's really quite an impressive little car. Despite being built on the Cobalt platform, it feels bigger than you'd expect. The handling is nimble, power is good, interior is classy and comfortable and the cabin is nice and quiet at highway speeds. You barely hear the engine at cruise and it never gets buzzy or loud.

Engine-wise, I found it a little lacking on the low-end, but once the RPMs get up, you have plenty of passing power (which is typical of an OHC 4 cylinder in my experience).

I've seen the Aura concept in person. I REALLY hope the production version is just like it (it's supposed to be). The car is absolutely gorgeous IMHO. As a point of interest, the transmission is going to be a new 6 speed automatic that GM and Ford are co-developing.

quote:

Problem is, GM doesn't HAVE time....

GM did just sell 51% of GMAC for 7.x billion. That'll buy them time. Now they need their new products to catch on and release more "gotta have it" products, like the HHR seems to be so far. The new SUVs are off to a really strong start, nearly doubling sales expections, which is really promising since those are big profit makers. The new DTS and Lucerne are both getting rave reviews, the Cobalt is really catching on, the Solstice has already had its production doubled and the Sky is even sexier. The Aura is also very promising if the concept is any indiction (GM came through excellently in that regard with the Solstice, so I believe they can do it again here). The G6 is also a really solid car and they have a 6 speed manual GTP version this year with 230-something horsepower. Also, as a manufacturer, GM is doing very well on the quality surveys.

Given all that, they're definitely headed the right way IMO. Their biggest problem right now is public perception, which will take time to overcome. The more these new products get to market, the more that perception will change.

I agree... More people are buying American cars that used to own Hondas/Acuras/what not. At least around my neighborhood
tongue.gif
. My neighbor bought a Mercedes R class and his daughter finally convinced him to look at a Cadillac dealership. He walked out with a new Cadillac SUV thing and canceled the R class.

I know I'll buy GM for my next car (I have a Pontiac now) in a few years.

As it is - around Los Angeles - Cobalts, G6, and HHRs are doubling in numbers. You see them all the time!

quote:

Originally posted by mshu7:

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
Their biggest problem right now is public perception...

So true!!!

And, unfortunately for the General, that's the hardest thing to change, especially since it's mostly out of their control.

If anybody likes the G6, check out the new G6 GXP.

quote:

Under the hood, the G6 GXP uses a modified 3.9-liter V-6 engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Linking a ram air induction system with K&N air filter to a cat-back free flowing exhaust helps boost engine output to 270 horsepower (202 kw) and 259 lb.-ft. of torque (358 Nm).

-

-

By the way, I'm not sure if any of you caught it, but 60 Minutes did a piece on GM last night. One of the things the cars they were showing off was the 2008 CTS. They could only show portions of it since it not production ready yet.

-

-

This car looks HOT!!!

"You can't just turn around a corporation of GM's size overnight. It will take time for them to right all their wrongs from the last few decades."

Problem is, GM doesn't HAVE time....

I do like the HHR though, and I wish I had an EcoTec engine in my Cavalier....they are doing some stuff right, now!

That GXP sure looks nice. The Aura looks just like a G6. (That is not a bad thing).

The new Tahoe looks like a great truck. The mpg for it looks good too.

I think GM is starting to get it. They just need to get that Cobalt to be more reliable. A company needs to have a great entry level car to suck in a customer for life.

I'm going to defend the Cruiser by saying that our family likes it better than the HHR. We recently looked at both, and my wife felt that the Cruiser had a better look (she thought the HHR was more box shaped) and had more room inside for our family needs. So we bought an 02 Dream Cruiser (it's a Special Edition that they make with all options and only build 7500 each year) and found it for under $9000. She is absolutely nuts about the car, but I will concede that the gas mileage on our Cruiser blows big time compared to the HHR. The little sucker weighs in at 3200 lbs and that little 2.4L just can't keep up with the weight. I agree with the earlier post that they are both aimed at the female and older generations. As much as I have grown to kinda like the "hot rod" appeal of our Cruiser, I wouldn't trade my Cherokee for it or the HHR.
grin.gif

But props to GM for stealing some "up and coming" talent from the competition and trying something new in their lineup. Like it or not, the HHR IMO is a step in the right direction for a company that was stagnant in their design philosophy. Just like Chrysler did with the Cruiser, 300, and the Charger, GM is attempting to offer something that the imports so far have not.

What kind of amazes me is that the Chrysler Crossfire doesn't appear to sell well at all.
I think it looks hot, and for a two-seater, is very cool.
Almost bought one, but the family thing stopped me in the end = as it did with a few other two-seaters.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back