2006 Accord 2.4 - PU 5w20 Honda A01 - 3000 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
dnewton,

Can you close this thread? It's just wasting space and bandwidth on here.
laugh.gif

Why, because people keep trying to belittle and bully the OP into doing somethings he's already said he isn't going to do?

+1

I dont tell people on here to change there oil every 3000 miles, so why does everyone feel the need to tell me to do otherwise? Just do what makes you happy, and so will I. No one is going to convince me to extend my OCI while I continue to do 1 mile trips all day, just not going to happen.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
No one is going to convince me to extend my OCI while I continue to do 1 mile trips all day, just not going to happen.

I understand and respect your position but I don't understand why you even bothered to do a UOA then?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
No one is going to convince me to extend my OCI while I continue to do 1 mile trips all day, just not going to happen.
I understand and respect your position but I don't understand why you even bothered to do a UOA then?
confused.gif

Especially a UOA without the TBN if short tripping has you concerned about the oil life? Had you seen the TBN value, then you could place more faith in the oil and make an informed decision about whether or the oil could be used longer. As it stands, you are merely guessing and although I doubt the TBN is exhausted, you really do not know and the UOA did not really tell you everything you need to know. Just food for thought.

.... No one is going to convince me to extend my OCI while I continue to do 1 mile trips all day, just not going to happen.

Based on posting history, though one could only hope, fairly certain that point and attitude was not in much doubt.

Being as this oci was on a Honda with MM, had the PU been taken to say 15%MM or somewhere near, the lack of a tbn wouldn't have been as important. Otoh, a 3k oci on PU is going bring the responses you have received, not just about the lack of tbn, but this 3k oci generally.

If you have no intention of heeding any of the informed comments and replies then ignore them without complaint. Lacking that, just don't post the UOA, then it becomes a moot point.
49.gif

The oil never gets "warm" at all though. 1 miles is hardly enough to warm up. Im probably going to use PP 0w20 year round (if the car likes it) and will change every 3-5k miles.

Here I thought you "may" extend the oci from 3k to 5k. I just went through this entire thread and noticed you never mention the MM system and what % the reading was when you changed the oil. Of course if its not reset then it won't be accurate. It does take into account your short drives and is a complex algorithm. Which takes other factors into account as well. It has a few holes in it like after one year of service it won't go down to 15-0% and of course it won't check oil level obviously. Oh and don't forget to change your pcv valve with an oem version since the internal spring usually breaks around 60k miles. This based on some of the reports by honda techs on the Accord forum I moderate.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Fair enough, but don't make the very common mistake on BITOG of judging an oil by it's base stocks alone or one metric, least of all NOACK. In your application, PP 0W-20 is not a better lubricant than PP 5W-20.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

That raised one of my eyebrows, too.
grin.gif

Either way, a great technical discussion. Carry on, gentlemen.

Last edited:
I think using PP or PU and just following the OLM would be more than enough overkill and even with the severe duty 1 mile trips I'm guessing the OLM would get him to at least 5000 miles. The OLM is assuming API dino oil - not expensive synthetic.

What is sad is that some folks seem to think that there is "risk" in using a dino oil because there is some perceived horridly severe relationship here with the short trips that a dino could not handle. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Allow me to offer this contrast:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3055574&page=1
I ran dino ST oil for 10k miles, and got excellent results.
Then, to back it up with more proof, I ran another load of ST dino for another 10k miles; that OCI is currently working out towards 15k miles!
All this in my wife's soccer-mom, short-tripper, never-babied but well-cared-for 1995 Villager. There are many days where she has more start cycles than miles she drives! And yet the dino ST oil continues impress and protect out past 10k miles.

But I'm supposed to believe this Honda 4cyl engine is somehow at-risk for 3k miles, in FL no less? Puh-leeze .... There is PLENTY of safe operating margin in dino lubes for a 3k mile OCI.

Guys - if the OP wants to do this (and I emphasize "wants") then that's fine. But I, and a few others, are PROVING there is PLENTY of reserve capacity and capability in today's dino oils.

I realize the OP has no intention of changing his ways; fine by me. But this is an excellent example of waste and how some folks will try to rationalize their actions with rhetoric and mythology, rather than experiment and learn from facts and data. This UOA thread indicates a total waste of a good fluid and a total disregard for the information paid for. No matter how much one "wants" to do something, that does not ensure it's logical.

Rather than post up more tripe about one's own opinions, I ask that some of you provide PROOF of personal experiments you've done (either successful or failure) that indicates just how your comments DIRECTLY relate to this thread. Don't link sales hype; man-up and PROVE your claims. I'm not directing this challenge at any one person, but the "masses" who seem to think a syn is "needed" here and that no manner of dino oil has enough reserve to hand this application.

At least I put my money where my mouth is, and have real world results to back up my position.

Last edited:
Regardless of synthetic or dino oil, many manufacturers require changing oil at 6 months regardless of mileage.

And for severe service they would require 3 months.

I know that this is changing, but what was the rationale back then, and to some extent still now? Doesn't the OPs driving pattern fit those characteristics?

And isn't it true that a UOA doesn't tell us everything?

I am not questioning your findings, I am just curious as to why these recommendations exist, presumably originating from like minded scientific people.

Wife strictly drives in town all stop and go and I keep conventional dino in it. It might get the rare occasional highway run when I check it out and take it in for a emission test.
Looking down the pipe hole (oil fill), I can even see over to the timing chain... it's all clean metal at all I can see.
Yearly OCI's and oil comes out fine, filter looks fine (cut) too.

The dino formulations have improved over the years as well as many things about engines.
I see no signs (visually) of any oxidation/sludge. I see no reason where synthetic is needed. Nothing against synthetic, I run it in some vehicles, just i don't see it as an absolute must for very short trippers stop & go.
Seems at one time 3k OCI were a standard, but many have back off somewhat as many lube's (including dino) show the capability to go further.
My to/from work vehicle the manufacturer recommends 7.5k normal & 3750 severe service. Doesn't mention anything about synthetic or dino. 2 hours a work day highway (95%) 5x a week. I'm currently running a PP fill in it, other 2 town running vehicles get dino. Wife's pretty much strictly in down, and other vehicle I'd say 95%+ is in town stop & go. I dunnooo

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Regardless of synthetic or dino oil, many manufacturers require changing oil at 6 months regardless of mileage.

And for severe service they would require 3 months.

I know that this is changing, but what was the rationale back then, and to some extent still now? Doesn't the OPs driving pattern fit those characteristics?

And isn't it true that a UOA doesn't tell us everything?

I am not questioning your findings, I am just curious as to why these recommendations exist, presumably originating from like minded scientific people.

No the OPs driving pattern doesn't "fit those characteristics".
Short trips are primarily a concern in sub-freezing conditions where condensation can build-up shortening the oil's life.
That's not so much case in Florida.

You're right a UOA doesn't tell everything but what it will tell you is whether an oil is still serviceable or not assuming you've ordered a TBN.

Try a 4 month oci. That would give you 1 less oil change per year. I doubt the numbers would change,much. Good job on the silicon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back