2006 Accord 2.4 - PU 5w20 Honda A01 - 3000 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This run was with PU 5w20 and a Honda A01 oil filter, was in use for 3000 miles. First 1000 miles was mostly highway on a trip to Central Florida, last 2000 miles was city trips 5 miles or less for the most part. This does not have any of my most recent 1 mile trips due to my new job. Anyway there it is, glad to see some of the wear metals drop. Oh, and the previous UOA was with Castrol Syntec 5w20 and Napa Pro-Select, when the oil used to be changed at the shop.

06%20ACCORD-071813.pdf.jpg

Last edited:
That's a lot of Phos' for a 5W-20, more than allowed, not that I'm complaining!

The 5% KV loss is nothing.

I see you didn't request TBN but you could easily double if not triple your OCI.

No I didnt see a need to get TBN because Im not looking to extend my OCI, ill do a UOA on a sample that sees the 1 mile driving I do now, if that comes back with results like these, then I will consider extending.

c'mon greg...does that oil really have 3k on it? especially if it was mostly short trips, you were asking what oil/filter you should use at the beginning of this month. The "tick" does not seem to be causing any extra wear. Now quit wasting good oil! lol

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
c'mon greg...does that oil really have 3k on it? especially if it was mostly short trips, you were asking what oil/filter you should use at the beginning of this month. The "tick" does not seem to be causing any extra wear. Now quit wasting gotipod oil! lol

Yep, right at 3000 miles, the first 1000 miles was ran up quickly as i was on vacation

Nice UOA but like others said you could easily extend it. Honda's severe service recommendation for this vehicle is 5000 miles, normal 10,000.

Last edited:
Gee... That almost looks like a VOA like Falken stated. You may want to consider donating that new.. erm... used oil. lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Errtt
Looks good.
I thought PU didn't have Titanium... I'd have to check.

Last I knew it didn't either. Will be curious if they are using titanium now.

According to an Ultra PDS from May 2012, new ultra 5w-20 has a viscosity of 8.40cSt @100C. The MSDS for castrol edge with syntec technology (is that what you used?) shows a viscosity of 8.9cSt @ 100C. So based off those values, it looks like the castrol sheared down quite a bit for a mere 2,217mi oci, but the ultra sheared less with a longer oci. I wouldn't like a 1cSt drop over 2,217mi, but I'd be ok with the ultra dropping roughly .4cSt over 3k.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Looks good.
I thought PU didn't have Titanium... I'd have to check.
No PU doesnt use any large amount of Titanium...probably just a little leftover from the last (very short) run of Castrol FST w/ Titanium.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Looks like a VOA
smile.gif

How dark, may I ask, was the oil at 3000km on the dipstick?

Was it light honey brown still?

On the dipstick it was a light golden amber, but when I drained it was a darker brown, but not dark dark brown or black, still had a slight transparency to it. I think these two runs of PU at 3000 mile OCI should clean up whatever gunk is in the engine, if any. Is it normal for oil to come out brown after 3000 miles?

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
There is no Ti in PU. I think he used Edge FST for a very short OCI. if I remember correctly it didn't stop the "tick"

The Edge FST and Fram Ultra seemed to be a bad combo on my car...that ticking noise happened more frequently and piston slap seemed to be louder. The winning combo so far is an OEM filter and Pennzoil Ultra, gonna use Honda A02 filter and Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 next OC and see how it likes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back