2005 Yukon Differential Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to change the differential fluid in my wife's 2005 Yukon XL. It looks like the crossmember and sway bar are in the way of taking the cover off. It looks like it might clear if the rear of vehicle is raised. Does anybody know if the cover can be removed and replaced without unbolting, moving or removing the crossmember/sway bar ???

My old '88 GMC Suburban is a lot easier to work on than this new Yukon.

Also what is a good mileage for the first differential fluid change ? I have heard that an early change to get out any metal debris etc will extend the life of the differential considerably.

Also what is a good fluid to use ?

Might be able to get a mag-hytec or similar cover that has a fill and drain hole, to make it easier down the line. Summit racing may have one too.

In my ZR2, the GM guidance from the manual was to change the fluid at 7500 miles. This was for my ZR2, which has a locking rear. NOT for the 2wd or standard 4wd, where there was no guidance on fluid change.

I like M1 in diffs. Redline has a good following. Ive heard tha amsoil is really good, and my father had good results in MPG improvement using RP.

You cant go wrong with a good syn.

JMH

FWIW I did an early diff. fluid change on my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 at 8,000 miles and the oil looked like new and there was very little on the magnet inside the housing. I changed the wife's diff oil in her Durango at 21,000 miles and it looked good also but more stuff on the magnet. The Durango has limited slip and the truck does not. I would go by GMs recommendation and use Synthetic oil. If the book doesn't specify an interval, I would change every 30,000 miles and do the first change @ 20,000-25,000.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back