2005 WV Golf - Castrol SLX 5w30 505.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
oilanalysis1.png

My first oil analysis. The sample was taken with a sample pump at ~98,100 miles, with about 8100 miles on the oil. I always change the oil sometime around the 10,000 mile mark.

I've used mostly Castrol 505.01 (TXT and SLX), Motul 505.01 for one interval, and Castrol 507 for one interval. The oil used for this sample is Castrol SLX 5w30.

Can anyone give any feedback about the Nitration results? What can I do about it? I tried doing a search for a few hours about what I can do about it, or what causes, but didn't have any luck. Is that level bad?

The only reason I changed the oil at 8100 miles is because I bought and installed a DieselGeek bypass filter and switched to Mobil1 TDT.

The oil analysis process was definitely easy enough. I'll be sure to do this regularly.
banana2.gif

With TBN at 5, it's probally working pretty well. Wear is low in general, with Pb being completely in check.

Is this the oil????

SLXpro.jpg

Could be similar to Edge.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
With TBN at 5, it's probally working pretty well. Wear is low in general, with Pb being completely in check.

Is this the oil????

Could be similar to Edge.

Yeah, that's the oil. It's generally the VW 505.01 oil supplied at dealers.

If you look at the VOA posted of Castrol Edge, you'll see that the oils are nothing alike.

Is nitration of 25 really that atypical? I recently got a report back from Wearcheck where according to them a typical nitration value is 30. But that was on a gasoline engine - not sure if that makes a difference.

I don't know if it is atypical.

I'll just watch it to make sure. Gives me more of a reason to continue taking samples.

If you want a explanation of the severity level get on the phone and ask them. I have heard that numbers can run higher than 25 and be expected. IIRC its relative to oxidation so call them and ask them why it was flagged what does it mean and what should you look for in the future. Thats why you pay them and they will be happy to tell you. For a oil with a vis less than 12 the numbers look ok to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back