2005 VW Jetta alarm keeps going off on car that I've stored 8 years.

No it's not haunted. I put a battery in it to start it every few months and the alarm keeps going off every few minutes. I can turn the alarm off by hitting the remote unlock button, but 2 minutes later it starts up again. Also, does the siren have a backup battery and could it cause this? After 16 years it must be pretty wasted. When I disconnect the 12 volt battery it still sounds off faintly. And where would it be located so I can unplug it before bringing it home and not annoy the neighbors?

Will do when I get it home. Until then is there a fuse that can be removed to at least disable the siren? Or is it accessible under the hood to unplug it?

On the Volvo I have, the alarm has a backup battery and it can cause the alarm to trigger randomly as that battery get bad. I don't know about the Jetta, though.

Most factory alarms are reset by closing everything up then locking and unlocking the driver's door with the mechanical key-- not the remote.

Most factory alarms are reset by closing everything up then locking and unlocking the driver's door with the mechanical key-- not the remote.
Umm no. This isn't the 90's anymore. Who locks or unlocks their car door with the mechanical key anymore? Many newer cars don't even have a readily accessible key slot. You have to pry off a trim panel to get to it.

Umm no. This isn't the 90's anymore. Who locks or unlocks their car door with the mechanical key anymore? Many newer cars don't even have a readily accessible key slot. You have to pry off a trim panel to get to it.
I do all the time. No remotes for two of mine.

then again I don’t lock them too often. Am hoping I might get lucky and someone will steal them…

I thought my comment implied a car that has RKE. Why keep insurance on old beaters?
I keep wanting to drop collision, but it’s only a few hundred a year on the ‘11 to have. I keep telling myself “next insurance payment“ but the wife just pays the bill and that’s that for another year.

Back