2005 Toyota Prius, Mobil 1 0w40 SN, first UOA, 7k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wix Analysis. My first analysis ever. Finally got around to posting it now, was on my fridge for a month.

1 quart Napa Synthetic SN 5w20 added at time of original fill (did not have enough 0w40 to fill sump). Ratio of Mobil 1 to Napa was 2.5:1. One cautionary flag due to me not notifying Wix about the 5w20. It was a viscocity flag. I did not disclose this to Wix so this is why they flagged the viscocity. Tell me what yous thinks.

Code:

2005 Toyota Prius

Date : Feb 22, 2013

Time On Unit : 156,632 Mi

Oil Sampled At : 7,150 Mi

Time on Oil : 3 months

Metals (ppm)

Iron - (13)

Chromium - (
Lead - (
Copper - (
Tin - (2)

Aluminum - (10)

Nickel - (
Silver - (
Titanium - (
Vanadium - (

Contaminants (ppm)

Silcon (18)

Sodium (60)

Potassium (10)

Water (%) (
Coolant (None)

Additives (ppm)

Magnesium (18)

Calcium (2411)

Barium (
Phosphorous (786)

Zinc (995)

Molybdenum (65)

Boron (78)

Physical Tests

Viscocity (cSt 100C) 10.3

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 3.8

Comments :

All wear rates are normal.

Abrasive and other contaminant levels are acceptable.

Viscocity low, indicating possible addition

of lighter grade oil.

Recommended Action : Please confirm type

and grade of oil used in this component.

Resample next service interval to monitor

and establish wear trend.

I was worried about my PCV valve for the longest time. I still may change it since I bought the part but all of the condensation is gone after a super long trip to southern Iowa. It hasn't come back.

No coolant so the sodium shouldnt worry you.

Si is a bit high look at the intake tubes and filtration system just to be sure.

The sodium came from the NAPA synthetic.
Everything looks good.
You could run M1 0W-40 out to 10K, based upon the results seen here.
TBN remains strong.
Why did you want to run such a high HTHS oil in the Prius?

Why 0w40 in a Prius? Use the factory recommended weight, which is probably 5w30. If you need 0w something, use 0w30, not 0w40.

For all the people yelling about "wrong" viscosity, it WAS in the 30 range, look at the viscosity number, LOL!

I agree about 10k doable with quality synthetic. This is what toyota says about the newer models.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Why 0w40 in a Prius? Use the factory recommended weight, which is probably 5w30

There is no harm stepping-up one grade, and in many regions like Australia or South America, the xW-40 grade is recommended in the manual.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Originally Posted By: Brons2
Why 0w40 in a Prius? Use the factory recommended weight, which is probably 5w30

There is no harm stepping-up one grade, and in many regions like Australia or South America, the xW-40 grade is recommended in the manual.

Probably no harm but the hybrid does have it's lubrication issues.
Toyota went to the trouble of developing the TGMO 0W-20 specifically for the Prius, and yes it has been back spec'd for the 2005 MY.

Yes and Honda developed 0W-16 oil for its cars, but that doesn't mean it's as protective as the previous 0w-20 or 0w-30 oil. It means the automakers are sacrificing engine life (say 50,000 miles less) in order to pass U.S. MPG minimums. (Also the same reason they are pushing EVs that barely sell.) In countries/regions where Toyota/Honda don't have to meet MPG targets, they recommend they thicker oil because they know it's better.

Yes and Honda developed 0W-16 oil for its cars, but that doesn't mean it's as protective as the previous 0w-20 or 0w-30 oil. It means the automakers are sacrificing engine life (say 50,000 miles less) in order to pass U.S. MPG minimums. (Also the same reason they are pushing EVs that barely sell.) In countries/regions where Toyota/Honda don't have to meet MPG targets, they recommend they thicker oil because they know it's better.

"Sacrificing engine life".
28.gif
09.gif

Last edited:

It doesn't mean that all and the OEMs of course will tell that.
But I suspect you don't believe them.
This is a tired groundless argument that was posited ad nauseam on the switch to 5W-20 from 5W-30.
If a OEM spec's an oil today, the built in safety margins are larger than they have ever been.
An as far as other countries are concerned, the new Toyota GT86, Subie BRZ sportscar is spec'd for 0W-20 everywhere in the world, including Europe and even Australia.
So give it a rest.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
If a OEM spec's an oil today, the built in safety margins are larger than they have ever been.

CATERHAM, facts and data please...the OEMs admit that they are relying more on boundary and mixed lubrication regimes, the new API testing chose engines that run boundary to better reflect oils and operating conditions.

They are chosing lower viscosities than ever before, and higher percentages of boundary and mixed lubrication.

Please demonstrate that this is providing larger safety margins than ever before..

Please, as always, I ask you to demonstrate it with facts and data...even a link to something other than a PDS would be nice

Your "science" never has any science backing it

So give it a rest.

agreed...or for once start to ante up with some actual data...please...data, not supposition and "feeling"...

As Shannow said, please provide ONE outside source for proof of this. Even if it's true in one case, generalizing to all cases is beyond reckless.

Quote:
An as far as other countries are concerned, the new Toyota GT86, Subie BRZ sportscar is spec'd for 0W-20 everywhere in the world, including Europe and even Australia.

And right on cue we have you over generalizing. Just because the FA20 in a 2013 BRZ has sufficient safety margin doesn't mean another engine does. Not to mention the 0w20 recommendation in the manual is very explicitly for fuel economy:
Originally Posted By: BRZ Manaul
SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather...
The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

So give it a rest.

Good advice, please take it.

20 weight, 30 weight, 40 weight, whateva. The engine will outlast the car 9/10. In this case the OP ran a 30 weight.

Good report, is Al typically double digits for the prius?

Silicon appears elevated and likely causing Fe and Al to be higher.
What is the history on the air filter?

In countries/regions where Toyota/Honda don't have to meet MPG targets, they recommend the thicker oil because they know it's better.

It doesn't mean that all and the OEMs of course will tell that.
But I suspect you don't believe them.

Are there any cars in Australia that recommend xW-20 (and nothing else)? Maybe one or two models, but for the most part: No. Since that country doesn't have MPG minimums that carmakers have to meet, the manuals typically recommend the best grade for the temperature (i.e. 5w-30 or 10w-40). Even the Australian Prius is specced for 5w-30

BTW this mini-debate started because someone said running 0w40 is bad for the Prius.
No.
It isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back