2005 Toyota Landcruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
05 Landcruiser with 60k miles on it. Just purchased from first owner.

Looking to do 10k oil changes with a good quality synthetic. Can do ~7500 if 10k is extreme. Not a daily driver, mix of long and short trips.

5w30 is what manual calls for.

Any recommendations?

Speaking from personal experience, one of the drawbacks (maybe the only drawback) of a car this age with low miles is the possible deterioration of engine seals caused by infrequent use.

To rejuvenate seal pliability and prevent leaks you may want to consider one of the really fine HM oils available: Mobil1 HM or Valvoline MaxLife (in either blend or full synthetic). And if there's any question about prior maintenance, HM oils are generally good at cleaning things up.

Is the Mobil 1 HM a true synthetic like the EP? I remember for a while Mobil 1 synthetic wasn't really full synthetic, etc.

What change interval would you recommend with the HM?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TKNY
Is the Mobil 1 HM a true synthetic like the EP? I remember for a while Mobil 1 synthetic wasn't really full synthetic, etc.

What change interval would you recommend with the HM?

Neither are 100% PAO if that's what you mean.

Pick a name brand synthetic and do 7,500 mile or annual (whichever comes first) oil changes. Get a UOA if you want to go longer.

Im using PUP in my Montero and I am happy with it. The Montero is not a daily driver so its garage kept. I've learned that the synthetics can stay in a motor for a year or more. Its always a personal preference.

I've learned alot on these forums.........good luck

Originally Posted By: Pajero
I've learned that the synthetics can stay in a motor for a year or more.

Some member have UOA of 3 years on regular dino oil, I don't think motor oil knows time.

I'd be concerned about the other fluids, too. Change the diff's, the transfer case, start doing drain and refills on the tranny and flush out the brake fluid. Oh, and don't forget the P/S fluid. This vehicle has the ability to live a long time with a bit of care.

For a 9-10 yo vehicle that'll see ocassional use, why are you even concerned about doing 10K OCIs?
If the thing isn't driven more than 7.5K a year, just do a yearly change with any decent oil and leave it at that.
You could likely go longer, but why even worry about it?
The Land Crusher is a well designed and well made vehicle that will last for many years and miles given reasonable care.
How did the po use it to have only 60K after all these years?
Back and forth to his mailbox?

Congrats on the purchase of one of the world's most bulletproof marques. I've had two Cruisers, but none since 1993. Since it is so low in mileage and you bought it from the original owner, what OC routine did he use? If it never used full synthetics, I'd lean towards a quality high mileage blend with 5K intervals and a quality filter like Wix, Baldwin or Hastings.

As for any engine oil leaks, that occurrence would surprise me at your truck's age and mileage. Good luck with the new ride.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I'd be concerned about the other fluids, too. Change the diff's, the transfer case, start doing drain and refills on the tranny and flush out the brake fluid. Oh, and don't forget the P/S fluid. This vehicle has the ability to live a long time with a bit of care.

Ya I plan on doing the 60k mile service along with all fluids. Also a fuel service and maf, tb cleaning. Not sure what else I would need to do for now.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
For a 9-10 yo vehicle that'll see ocassional use, why are you even concerned about doing 10K OCIs?
If the thing isn't driven more than 7.5K a year, just do a yearly change with any decent oil and leave it at that.
You could likely go longer, but why even worry about it?
The Land Crusher is a well designed and well made vehicle that will last for many years and miles given reasonable care.
How did the po use it to have only 60K after all these years?
Back and forth to his mailbox?

Lol ya I don't know what the guy did but outside of a little bit of rust, which is normal for the NE, this truck is very clean. I really lucked out.

I will probably do 5-7k miles a year, if that, so I guess I will do Mobil 1 HM 1x a year and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Congrats on the purchase of one of the world's most bulletproof marques. I've had two Cruisers, but none since 1993. Since it is so low in mileage and you bought it from the original owner, what OC routine did he use? If it never used full synthetics, I'd lean towards a quality high mileage blend with 5K intervals and a quality filter like Wix, Baldwin or Hastings.

As for any engine oil leaks, that occurrence would surprise me at your truck's age and mileage. Good luck with the new ride.

He traded it in at a dealer so I was unable to find out maintenance info. Carfax was clean though and showed maintenance but only like 10k, 20k, 30k, etc.

I'll go with all the mobil 1 hm suggestions, but probably 1x a year instead of every 5k miles. I doubt I will go more than 7k a year.

Do you think those oil filters are better than Toyota OEM? I heard the OEM are very good.

If this vehicle was used on a regular basis at 6k per year, the seals are fine.

No need at all for a HM oil.

Is the motor clean and dry ?

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
If this vehicle was used on a regular basis at 6k per year, the seals are fine.

No need at all for a HM oil.

Is the motor clean and dry ?

Engine looks clean so far.

If I don't go HM do you think EP would be the best choice?

I would use a 5W30 syn and a good filter like the Ultra... I would not at this time go for a HM oil unless you have leaks. Try PP or even QSUD for an oci of 7500 miles. By the way, I drive a 2006 Lexus LS 430 with 82K miles and that is what I do with my car...

Last question for you guys.

I am going to go with Mobil 1 EP. Manual states 5w30, and the 100 series Land cruisers were not back specced to 0w20.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to run 0w30? Any negatives?

You have to ask yourself which is more important to you, the ultimate in cold-weather performance and fuel economy or extended drains with an oil with a stronger add pack? There's your answer.

FTR, M1 calls the EP line their flagship product and flow in temperatures lower than you would dare expose your bare skin to.

Originally Posted By: TKNY
Last question for you guys.

I am going to go with Mobil 1 EP. Manual states 5w30, and the 100 series Land cruisers were not back specced to 0w20.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to run 0w30? Any negatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back