2005 Toyo Prius w/ M1 OCI recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
EK,
I never really thought abou the thermos too much, other than it was a cool idea. However, you are clearly right, the engine will still cool down. I guess the thermos just helps the engine warm up a bit quicker.

Winston:

As you can imagine, I've been busily doing my Prius "new guy" homework, while getting 46 mph doing 75-80 on the highway, and 43-44 mpg in the city in New Orleans. And while it's no rocket, it's not sluggish either; it's like an I-4 Camry. I love this car!

Anyway, here's a blurb I just found about the "thermos" in an "unofficial" Prius owner's guide generously posted and available on the web by a Priuschat member:
quote:

Whirring Sound
There is a small electric-pump that pumps 3 liters of coolant into a thermal container (to keep it hot) every time you turn the hybrid system power OFF. When the power is turned back ON, the coolant is pump back into the engine. This process reduces emissions, by achieving warm-up much faster than with an engine that would normally have to heat itself up. This process also helps to reduce wear & tear on the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back