2005 Subaru EZ30D w/ 96,000 miles valvetrain pics

Just a photo to show what 15 years and 95,000 miles of Pennzoil yellow bottle and Federated Auto Parts oil filters looks like. She's minty fresh.

PXL_20200926_145927331.jpg

Strictly PYB? That's impressive.
Yup. Changed at a local shop every 3-5k. Lot of short trips up the driveway and back to get the mail/etc. Pretty surprised honestly, considering the PCV looked awful.

Why is the engine out though? It's not one of those 2.5 with bad head gaskets, this actually is the good one, AFAIK... Would love to know the story behind engine out situation.

Why is the engine out though? It's not one of those 2.5 with bad head gaskets, this actually is the good one, AFAIK... Would love to know the story behind engine out situation.

Working on any Subaru is an engine-out service. Spark plugs, valve cover gaskets require you to remove the engine, especially on a DOHC

Wide engines in narrow cars have no room.

May as well change the head gaskets seeing it's out already. Save yourself the headache in a few thousand miles........ :devilish:

I'm sure this guy would have a few things to say about your statement there...

Sheesh, am I now going to have to post links to WRX Subaru head gasket changes on relatively low mileage Subaru's? Should I ask if the OP pulled his own engine seeing as he used a shop for his oil changes? Kinda seemed strange. Is this the 95K mile vehicle in his signature? Perfuming a pig makeover to aid in sale to the unwary? I would expect to see some residual oil in the engine. Those heads look hot tanked to me which seems odd if you are only changing valve cover gaskets and a rear main seal. Many questions I didn't contemplate prior to being called out on my post. Enlighten me oh subaru guru.....

Those intake cam lobes are tiny and looks like there is a much smaller profile larger lobe in between - what is the trickery here? Is this like a Honda-esque VTEC like system?

May as well change the head gaskets seeing it's out already. Save yourself the headache in a few thousand miles........ :devilish:
Sheesh, am I now going to have to post links to WRX Subaru head gasket changes on relatively low mileage Subaru's? Should I ask if the OP pulled his own engine seeing as he used a shop for his oil changes? Kinda seemed strange. Is this the 95K mile vehicle in his signature? Perfuming a pig makeover to aid in sale to the unwary? I would expect to see some residual oil in the engine. Those heads look hot tanked to me which seems odd if you are only changing valve cover gaskets and a rear main seal. Many questions I didn't contemplate prior to being called out on my post. Enlighten me oh subaru guru.....

It's my grandmother-in-laws Outback. Calm down man. They're not hot tanked. These heads don't hold oil when you take the valve cover off. Subaru is nice enough to let the residual drain all over the exhaust if you try to do them in the car :).

Those intake cam lobes are tiny and looks like there is a much smaller profile larger lobe in between - what is the trickery here? Is this like a Honda-esque VTEC like system?
Yep. Subaru calls it AVCS. Still a very silly looking cam.

Working on any Subaru is an engine-out service. Spark plugs, valve cover gaskets require you to remove the engine, especially on a DOHC

Wide engines in narrow cars have no room.

You're not wrong! Spark plugs and valve cover gaskets can both be done in the car but it is the antithesis of fun and/or easy. You have Hondas at one end of the scale and Subarus and F-body GM cars with V8s at the other end.

Sheesh, am I now going to have to post links to WRX Subaru head gasket changes on relatively low mileage Subaru's? Enlighten me oh subaru guru.....

WRXs don't have EZ30s in them, unless someone has performed a very strange retrofit.

Did the EZ30 have HG trouble like the one series of EJ25? I hadn't heard of that, but It's been several years since I sold my last Subaru.

Chill bud. No one is calling you out. But as mentioned above - only the 4-banger 2.5L (EJ25?) had the head gasket issues. EZ30 is a 6 cylinder, very reliable, and fuel thirsty engine. It does not have defective head gaskets. Its head gaskets only blow if someone overheated it, which kinda happens to any internal combustion engine regardless of cylinder layout or manufacturer.

Which Federated Auto store do you go to here in Va ??

That motor does look very, very impressive.

Back