2005 Subaru EZ30D w/ 96,000 miles valvetrain pics

WRXs don't have EZ30s in them, unless someone has performed a very strange retrofit.

Did the EZ30 have HG trouble like the one series of EJ25? I hadn't heard of that, but It's been several years since I sold my last Subaru.
Nope. Ez30 thankfully doesn't have the head gasket issues.

WRXs don't have EZ30s in them, unless someone has performed a very strange retrofit.

Did the EZ30 have HG trouble like the one series of EJ25? I hadn't heard of that, but It's been several years since I sold my last Subaru.

EZ30 had zero head gasket issues.

EJ25, does not matter which refresh it was, EJ251 EJ252 or EJ253.. are the reason people say check the head gasket when you say Subaru. They should say 90s Nissan for that..

The EZ30 specifically the EZ30D is probably the best engine Subaru has ever made. The SVX had a 3.3L I believe EG33. The EJ25 is the workhorse.

YouTube for videos of an EZ30 with a Turbo put on. :devilish::devilish: These engines were found in the Legacy.. no idea about Imprezas.

I was teasing initially about the head gaskets on this engine. I have looked under the valve covers of hundreds of OHC engines that utilize aluminum/alloy/iron in their head construction. I have yet to come across any of them with 96k miles that did not show staining of their respective surfaces by the motor oil. The camshafts between the lobes in your picture show staining but the head surfaces only have a faint indication on the bottom in one galley. I have never seen anything like it before. Is that a Subaru thing? Just curious.

I was teasing initially about the head gaskets on this engine. I have looked under the valve covers of hundreds of OHC engines that utilize aluminum/alloy/iron in their head construction. I have yet to come across any of them with 96k miles that did not show staining of their respective surfaces by the motor oil. The camshafts between the lobes in your picture show staining but the head surfaces only have a faint indication on the bottom in one galley. I have never seen anything like it before. Is that a Subaru thing? Just curious.

I think part of the reason these heads look so fresh is that oil doesn't have anywhere it can pool in the head. When you take the valve cover off there's only a few tablespoons that runs out. What looks like staining in the bottom is actually just oil sitting in the waffle texture of the casting. The whole thing looks even better in person - my phone makes the camshafts and stuff look more yellow than they really were.

The EZ30 is definitely better than the EJ25, but two things I don't particularly care for is the chain driven water pump and the timing cover that is held on with a bunch of itty bitty torx fasteners. Wonder how many of those I'd wring off.

Personally, I think Subaru is living off of an almost cult-like brand loyalty. The EJ25 motor and the myriad of problems it had coupled with Subaru's responses to those problems should have been enough to scare off repeat and/or potential customers.

Looks great but the service intervals would be relevant here. And what is up with those intake cam lobes?

Looks great but the service intervals would be relevant here. And what is up with those intake cam lobes?

Intake cam = Subaru's version of VTEC (AVCS). Pretty weird looking. Oil was changed every 3-5k.

EZ30 had zero head gasket issues.

EJ25, does not matter which refresh it was, EJ251 EJ252 or EJ253.. are the reason people say check the head gasket when you say Subaru.

I’ve not seen or heard of an EJ255 with bad HGs unless someone was running non-factory boost or tuning. Surely there are _some_, since at least _some_ of every engine series ever made will experience a leak. They’re a solid engine, though. Nothing like the non-turbo EJ25.

Back