2005 Silverado/2014 Accord Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! First post here and glad to be a part of the community! I'm looking for some recommendations for both of our vehicles in both oil and oil filters.

With my Silverado, I bought the truck used with 32k miles on it in 2009 the previous owner meticulously changed the oil with Mobil1 5/30 and an ACDelco filter every 3k miles. When I purchased the truck I followed suit but used a K&N oil filter because it seemed better constructed than the OEM variant. While I knew it had an OLM I chose to change every 3k for no other reason than over maintaining the truck. Recently I decided to try to extend my interval and I got my first UOA with 5300 miles on that OCI, which took a lot for me to let it go that long. Even though I was using Mobil1 EP! So fast forward to now. I'm wondering what would be the best option, I have done countless house of research about Mobil1 and Amsoil. I'm not wanting to go any longer than the OLM dictates, and may even fall back into the 3k OCI. I'm wanting to use synthetic, without question. I have no issue with spending more money on oil frequently as I plan to keep my truck for a very very long time, it only as 116k on it.

Now onto our 2014 Accord V6, this is our first brand new vehicle and I like the idea of letting the dealer take care of it. Though I am sure they use a synthetic blend 0w20 which I'm not fond of. I have every intention of following the OLM on the Honda. I'm wondering if I should bring in some Mobil1 for the dealer to instal versus the bulk they have, and would the OEM filter be ideal for this application?

So what would you recommend? Go with Mobil1 since I will not be taking advantage of extended oci's? Mobil1 for me has the advantage as its a lot easier to get and I don't have to jump through hoops and wait for shipping to get a good price on Amsoil.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Wills05
Hello! First post here and glad to be a part of the community! I'm looking for some recommendations for both of our vehicles in both oil and oil filters.

With my Silverado, I bought the truck used with 32k miles on it in 2009 the previous owner meticulously changed the oil with Mobil1 5/30 and an ACDelco filter every 3k miles. When I purchased the truck I followed suit but used a K&N oil filter because it seemed better constructed than the OEM variant. While I knew it had an OLM I chose to change every 3k for no other reason than over maintaining the truck. Recently I decided to try to extend my interval and I got my first UOA with 5300 miles on that OCI, which took a lot for me to let it go that long. Even though I was using Mobil1 EP! So fast forward to now. I'm wondering what would be the best option, I have done countless house of research about Mobil1 and Amsoil. I'm not wanting to go any longer than the OLM dictates, and may even fall back into the 3k OCI. I'm wanting to use synthetic, without question. I have no issue with spending more money on oil frequently as I plan to keep my truck for a very very long time, it only as 116k on it.

Now onto our 2014 Accord V6, this is our first brand new vehicle and I like the idea of letting the dealer take care of it. Though I am sure they use a synthetic blend 0w20 which I'm not fond of. I have every intention of following the OLM on the Honda. I'm wondering if I should bring in some Mobil1 for the dealer to instal versus the bulk they have, and would the OEM filter be ideal for this application?

So what would you recommend? Go with Mobil1 since I will not be taking advantage of extended oci's? Mobil1 for me has the advantage as its a lot easier to get and I don't have to jump through hoops and wait for shipping to get a good price on Amsoil.

Thanks!

If you are going to use synthetic with no exception and expect to change every 3k (overkill!), please use the very cheapest synthetic you can find. Same with oil filters... such short intervals, unless you're doing some severe service driving, are completely unnecessary, and do little besides lighten your wallet. If you're planning on using the OLM, any synthetic will provide plenty of life, likely well in excess of the computer's determination. You definitely don't need any extended life oils or filters.

I used to go back and forth with OCI, brands, et cetera. People will tell you to extend your intervals responsibly (with a trend derived from UOAs), but I'll tell you this: do whatever you're comfortable with.

We run Silverados in a fleet. Use the OLM and a decent synthetic, get virtually unlimited engine life with the V8's. Just sold a truck with half a million miles with no smoke, no knocks, no usage. Service the trans every 30k miles as well. Rear end change every 100k miles unless you tow or dunk it in deep water. PSF, brake fluid every 30k miles.

We do not touch the cooling system until a component fails, usually beyond 150k miles. Use only Dexcool.

The Honda if equipped with VCM is another story...

In regards to the oil filter for my Silverado what's recommended? I know the AC's have switched design? In the case of following my OLM Mobil1 would be more ideal?

The Honda does have VCM.

Watch your costs with M1 (or any synthetic) and short OCIs. That's all I'll say about that. As far as the Honda goes, does Honda not have a genuine synthetic that you can request? I would assume they charge a premium for that, but if it's not obscene, it would be better than bringing your own oil.

If it were me & I lived in CA:

Both vehicles: M1 & WIX filters, 5K OCI, serviced at home in my garage bay #1.

But I live in the midwest, so....:

Both vehicles, sale brand dino oil & WIX filters, 5K OCI, serviced at home....

Rust where I live will get them long before the engines wear out....and screw dealer service for oil changes. What represents maintaining a large financial expense for me is another loss job for them....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stevejones

Rust where I live will get them long before the engines wear out....and screw dealer service for oil changes. What represents maintaining a large financial expense for me is another loss job for them....

That's about what the OLM in the truck nets me. The OLM in the Accord nets about 7k. The dealer is appealing since the car is still under warranty

If it were me - Extend the oil changes with Mobil 1 and either a Mobil 1 filter or Fram Ultra filter to 6,000 miles and spend the $$$ elsewhere keeping the transmission/brake fluid/power steering fluid/differential oil//coolant all up to date

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If it were me - Extend the oil changes with Mobil 1 and either a Mobil 1 filter or Fram Ultra filter to 6,000 miles and spend the $$$ elsewhere keeping the transmission/brake fluid/power steering fluid/differential oil//coolant all up to date

Thanks for the advice. I will look into a mobil1 filter for the truck. Are there any disadvantages to OEM filter for the Honda? I'll see if the dealer will use the oil I provide versus the bulk they have.

What other filters should I be looking at?

It also seems to me that Amsoil would not be ideal in this case.

Last edited:
I could not have said it any better. I used to do 3,000 OCI on my old '78 Chevy C10 305 V8 with a carb that not only diluted the oil with what smelt like a lot of gas, it made it dirty looking after 1500 miles. It still runs pretty good today even though off the road with 337k.

My '00 Silverado 5.3 does 5k OCI and the oil still looks good after that with 252k on the truck. 3k OCI on todays engines are way too easy.
Originally Posted By: stevejones

Silverado : M1 0w-30 AFE, Fram Ultra filter - for OLM distance (go to 0%)

or

M1 5w-30 EP, Fram Ultra filter, OLM x 2 , go to 25% remaining or 15K, whichever is less.

Accord: M1 0w-20 EP, Fram ultra filter. Make an appointment at 5% on OLM. (by then the blinking will drive you crazy)

M1 AFE is about $23, M1 EP $28 at Walmart

The Silverado could even use dino upto the OLM! So could the Accord, if dino 0w20 existed.

However, synthetic often goes on sale and/or rebates, so just use the cheapest syn on sale.

Therefore, my choice would be PP for both cars, since there is a $10 rebate, and you're allowed two rebates.

If you've already maxed out on the Pennzoil rebates, or if you just don't like the big jug and prefer quart bottles, then use Napa Synthetic, which is on sale for $3.79/qt. It's rebranded Synpower.

For the filter, I'd take Purolator Synthetic, Fram Ultra, or a Wix product.

My rule is, when there's an OLM, use the cheapest syn up to the computer's suggestion. Without an OLM, I run an ACEA A/B syn to 10k.

OP - A little late here however here are my 2 cents. I own a 2013 Acura TL (3.5L) and 2012 Honda Accord (2.4L) both use the same oil filter as your Honda. For 60K miles we have used the Honda filter on the Accord and filtration, power and longevity of the filter have met our needs (70 mile daily commute). Our dealer uses Valvoline Synthetic and when I bought new the car included lifetime oil changes so I am there every 5K miles for new oil and new Honda filter
smile.gif
. VERY important, there is an oil drain bolt 'washer' that needs to be changed at every OCI and dealers can skip this to save a few cents and WILL cause oil leaks if not changed, be certain and clear you want this changed at each oil change! Our Accord runs fantastic with this oil and filter combo.

Our TL which has 15K miles included 3 free oil changes so I went that route, now I have switched to Mobil 1 0W20 with a Mobile 1 filter. The car hasn't driven any differently with changing and if the dealer was doing the changes for life on this car complimentary I'd prefer this route since since there would be no cost to me!

Last edited:
I own a 2000 Silverado 5.3 w/ 61k miles. Synthetics since new.

OCI's consisted of 1 year or the OLM + 1k miles, whichever comes first.

If not performing extended oil drain intervals, I would skip the Amsoil. AC Delco, Fram Tough Guard (grey), Fram Ultra (gold), NAPA Gold/Wix filters are all excellent filters for the application.

If not in warranty or extended warranty, I would buy a programmer/tuner and immediately turn off the Cylinder Deactivation (AFM active fuel management) system. Google 5.3 AFM problems or 5.3 AFM/lifter failure

.... I couldnt finish the earlier post,

The 5.3 is not particularly hard on oil.

My wife drives a 2013 Honda Pilot with the same 3.5 V6 as your Accord. It was purchased new. I changed out the factory fill early at around 2500 miles and reset the MM. I used M1 0w-20 and M1 filter.

The past 2 OCI's (following the MM)I have used NAPA Full Synthetic 0w-20 (made by Ashland/Valvoline) and Napa Gold Filter. I have enough for one more OCI of the NAPA combo.

I just stocked up on 3 OCI's worth of Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 from Auto Zone's recent sale ($1-$3/qt).

Honda's are also relatively easy on oil.

The OEM filter is adequate. Supposedly there are 2 part numbers (the one made by Filtec is allegedly better). I would DIY and use over the counter M1 0w-20 and FRAM Tough Guard or Ultra (NOT ORANGE) filters.

Here is a list of 0w-20 Dexos approved oils. type "0w-20" in the search bar.

Click this link... Dexos 0w20

Castrol Edge, Mobil 1, NAPA, Penzoil Platinum, QSUD, Valvoline Synpower, are all listed and easy to find. I would trust any of these in my Pilot for normal OCI's according the the MM.

For the warranty, I save my receipts, and tear off the top of the oil filter box and write the date, milage and type of oil and stick it in the Honda's Service History Book and fill out the appropriate page in the book checking off the service preformed and inspections made.

Good luck and welcome to BITOG.

This forum is an excellent resource for all things lubrication related, general automotive info, repairs, etc!

Last edited:
Wills05, if you are interested in the Honda Care Extended Warranty, I bought mine from College Hills Honda. I got quotes from about 10 dealers and they beat every one.

You can buy one from any Honda dealer, not just the one you purchased your Accord from. Also, they will give you the new car price if the vehicle is under 6 months and 6k miles old. If past that date/miles, the price slightly goes up.

I got the 8 year/ 120k mile warranty with $0 deductible for a great price.

( I have no connection to this dealer, only recommending on past experience with them)

Originally Posted By: Wills05

Thanks!

You do know that as a filter traps particulate it actually gets more efficient,which translates to cleaning that particulate better. So changing the filter often allows larger,more damaging particles to pass and will contribute to more wear vs a more loaded filter that's trapping more efficiently.
I've go tough guards on right now. 20000 mile intervals on my known clean engines. When I dissect them there is so little agglomerated particulate I could run them even longer than 20000 miles.
The fram ultra is guaranteed for 15000 miles. In my known clean engines I would double that interval.
Cobtrary to popular believe more oil and filter changes do not make an engine last any longer than running extended intervals as long as appropriate products are used. The cheap insurance absurdity makes me laugh.
Let's dump serviceable oil and throw away the still serviceable filter for new serviceable oil and a serviceable filter. How does that make sense.
My vehicles last for amost ever,and I've never worn out an engine using my method. Never.
So do what you want but don't fool yourself into believing your in any way making your engine last longer by increasing the oil change frequency.
The only thing your doing is wasting time,money,and resources. But your free to do what you like. Just don't try and sell that absurd I want my stuff to last bull,because unless you grossly extend the interval you aren't gaining anything.
I run 10000 mile intervals on whatever syn was on sale. My engines are spotless inside. And I get astronomical mileages from my engines.
This includes lots of idle during the winter and in the summer beating the tar out if it once hot.
Some engines are sludge prone and they are the exception and absolutely require shorter intervals but that Chevy sure isn't. In fact the ls engines are better than the predecessor for longevity.
Holler at Stevesrt. He's got a fleet of wirk vans with 10000 pounds on the wheels and the engines run all day to power the equipment. He changes his oil according to the oil life monitor and his vans get insane high mikes prior to selling them.
So try to keep up with today's thinking. 3000 mile intervals are from the Jurassic period and unless severe duty is how your engine us run you are just wasting your time.
I think it's funny that you believe you know better than the oil life monitor in a vehicle that historically is unkillable when you just follow the on board computers advice.
HILLARIOUS.

If you want to do an overkill program: Silverado- 6K miles Mobil 1 with Fram Ultra, Mobil 1 or K&N filter. Honda, let the dealer do the change, run for a hundred miles and drain, fill with Mobil 1 and run to OLM zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back