2005 Ram CTD........

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother in law just got a brand spakin new one...... I wish it was mine......

What oil reccomendation you think? I told him to consider Amsoil 15w40 Syn, for a Synthetic. I told him Delo 400 for dino......

Those are good choices. Also consider Redline 15w-40 synthetic, Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic, and Rotella T synthetic. Amsoil's S3000 is good stuff, too.

Also, the Cummins 5.9 engine is so overbuilt for a pickup that you may could run olive oil and still get away with it.

Unless he is going to do some extreamly heavy towing, or is planning to "bomb" it, I would run Delo 400 or Rotella T in 15/40.

Buy it in the case loads at Costco or Sams club and save.

Valvoline Premium Blue was developed especially for the Cummins by Valvoline and Cummins. Rotella T is also an excellent oil. I personally run Premium Blue dino in the summer and synthetic in the winter in my Cummins.

Yeah, I heard not to run syn. b4 20k miles. I'm thinking maybe Rotella T or Delo until 20k... Don't know much about Valv. Prem Blue, any UOA's?

dont waste your money on synthetic in a dodge cummins. my buddy runs 12,000 mile oci's with rotella t dino and has had no problems.

My dealer is pushing for 5k OCI's even though the severe service schedule is 7500. Since I don't even really fall under severe service except during the winter months, I don't see the need to do anything beyond the 7500 interval to maintain warranty coverage and will probably extend it after warranty (100k). As stated, it's a pretty bulletproof engine if reasonably maintained. An oil related engine failure is likely the last thing I should worry about in my 05 3500 CTD. My dealer used 15/40 Pennzoil and a Mopar (Fleetguard) filter. He specifically warned me not to use a Fram filter if I changed it myself.

Good point bought up by W170W31 about the oil filters. These engines are very easy on oil but brutal on oil filter elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back