2005 Powerstroke 6.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought an F250 with the 6.0L. Has 90k miles. Was curious how many miles these engines are good for? I know, that's a loaded question. I'm aware they had an injecter issue in 03 and they shear oil. Any worthwhile additive for the fuel to help prevent injector issues?

I just ordered Amsoil AME...

Thanks,
Doug

Originally Posted By: Doug
Just bought an F250 with the 6.0L. Has 90k miles. Was curious how many miles these engines are good for? I know, that's a loaded question. I'm aware they had an injecter issue in 03 and they shear oil. Any worthwhile additive for the fuel to help prevent injector issues?

I just ordered Amsoil AME...

Thanks,
Doug

There are plenty of 300,000 mile + 6.0l PSD out there. I read in one Ford Truck forum that one has over 550,000 miles on the original injectors, head gaskets, etc. It was in the shop for an EGR Cooler failure.

Your already using the correct oil (synthetic) for the injectors. Get an oil analysis done to see how far your oil change intervals can be.

Use Stanadyne Performance Formula (diesel injector/pump shops should carry it) for the injectors. TCW3 2 cycle outboard oil works well too! 1 oz per gallon of fuel.

A coolant filter from the dieselsite.com is cheap insurance against Oil cooler/EGR Cooler failure.

Get a fuel pressure gauge to monitor fuel pressure. Low fuel pressure = failed injectors!

Drive it HARD for a brief period of time every few days to keep the cobs blown out of it.

There's more, but these are the basics.

I have a 2006 F-250 6.0l PSD Crew Cab, 4X4 with 53,200 flawless miles. (Knocking on wood)

When my warranty is up, the evil EGR system will go bye bye.

Originally Posted By: 1OilLover
Get a fuel pressure gauge to monitor fuel pressure. Low fuel pressure = failed injectors!

Exactly.

Do that, and follow Ford's severe service schedule for all maintenance intervals and odds are you'll be one (of the few) happy 6.0L owners.

You must maintain factory spec base fuel pressure spec on these engines, without it you get rapid injector wear and ultimately failure. Use only Motorcraft fuel filters, as they have the proper length to avoid the filter lift within the housing under pressure, not all of the aftermarket fuel filters do.

Quote:
Drive it HARD for a brief period of time every few days to keep the cobs blown out of it.

Good advice for any diesel.

Fuel pressure is important, but not nearly as much in HEUI injectors as in other types of injection systems. The failures of the HEUI injectors in the 6.0 PSD was mostly a programming issue and partially a materails issue. These were corrected in late 03 early 04 and it is not longer an issue. The 05's did not have the issue.

The 6.0 and/or VT365 are a pretty solid engine despite their reputation. Properly maintained they'll easily go 300k miles. We have some that are near 400k in the fleet now.

What I recommend for a privately own vehicle is a set of head studs and complete EGR delete. These two items will prevent any kind of blown head gasket issues and geartly prolong turbo life.

Not really any "best" oil, but any of the common 5w40's will do well. RTS, Delo, Valvoline are decent oils. The important thing is to change it often. You could save money by running 15w40 as the OCI's aren't generally long enough on HEUI engines to get your money out of synthetic oils. I'd probably keep the OCI down to around 4-5k miles and 5-6500 miles if mostly highway.

Originally Posted By: 1040 WreckerMan

What I recommend for a privately own vehicle is a set of head studs and complete EGR delete. These two items will prevent any kind of blown head gasket issues and geartly prolong turbo life.

I fully agree, but you'd better wait until your factory warranty is up before doing the complete EGR delete. That will for sure void any warranty you've got left. I"d love to get headstuds on mine done under warranty, but I'm not having any issues. I've been recommended one that's not too far away from me (in MS) but again, I don't think they would be done without having any problems.

Last edited:
Some dealers are friendly toward mod'd trucks and some not. I have a dealer in town I deal with and they have been good about head gaskets with me. I've brought them all sorts of trucks and they warranty the head gaskets and I bring them studs. I usually give the mechanic working on the truck 100 bucks and tell him exactly how I want them installed. Never had any issues.

I agree, wait until the Ford warranty is expired and then do the EGR delete. Between it and the head studs it's spendy if you have it done, but it's a small price to pay for 300k+ miles of trouble free service.

At work I put head studs in, but I can't do the EGR delete. When the EGR valves stick it causes the coolant to be superheated and is a real source of problems and the cause of many blown head gaskets. A side benefit of no EGR is the turbo (and the rest of the intake) doesn't get a ton of soot in places it doesn't belong.

Some dealers are friendly toward mod'd trucks and some not. I have a dealer in town I deal with and they have been good about head gaskets with me. I've brought them all sorts of trucks and they warranty the head gaskets and I bring them studs. I usually give the mechanic working on the truck 100 bucks and tell him exactly how I want them installed. Never had any issues.

I agree, wait until the Ford warranty is expired and then do the EGR delete. Between it and the head studs it's spendy if you have it done, but it's a small price to pay for 300k+ miles of trouble free service.

At work I put head studs in, but I can't do the EGR delete. When the EGR valves stick it causes the coolant to be superheated and is a real source of problems and the cause of many blown head gaskets. A side benefit of no EGR is the turbo (and the rest of the intake) doesn't get a ton of soot in places it doesn't belong.

Wreckerman, do you run a programmer or a chip on yours?

Fuel pressure is important, but not nearly as much in HEUI injectors as in other types of injection systems. The failures of the HEUI injectors in the 6.0 PSD was mostly a programming issue and partially a materails issue. These were corrected in late 03 early 04 and it is not longer an issue. The 05's did not have the issue.

Fuel pressure is even more important in the 6.0L (can't lump all HEUIs together) than almost anything else! Without sufficient fuel pressure, the PCM commands more IRP and injector pulse width, and without sufficient fuel pressure the plunger/seat in the injector sees metal on metal contact. It's a double whammy effect, injector needs fuel pressure to operate properly, and without fuel pressure the injectors are cycled more. Have you ever seen the clearance specs for a 6.0L injector?

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Fuel pressure is even more important in the 6.0L (can't lump all HEUIs together) than almost anything else! Without sufficient fuel pressure, the PCM commands more IRP and injector pulse width, and without sufficient fuel pressure the plunger/seat in the injector sees metal on metal contact. It's a double whammy effect, injector needs fuel pressure to operate properly, and without fuel pressure the injectors are cycled more. Have you ever seen the clearance specs for a 6.0L injector?

Yes I have, on both the Navistar and CAT versions as we run fleets of both brand engines and both Gen I and II injectors. All HEUI injectors operate on the same principal. All you need if enough fuel pressure to refil the injector in a HEUI system, that is enough to prevent injector damage. You can run 4k lbs of ICP as long as you want, the injectors were designed to do that.

Have YOU ever personally had a HEUI injector apart and/or rebuilt them? Have you seen the clearance specs on a gen I HEUI injector? Explain to me the differences between the two generations of HEUI injector.

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
Wreckerman, do you run a programmer or a chip on yours?

Yes, I run a chip on my 7.3, and a programmer on both my 6.0 and 6.4. I have since sold my 6.0 and bought a 6.4. The 6.0 was nothing real fancy, mod'd VGT turbo, stage "1" injectors, custom tunes in an SCT, EGR delete and head studs. Ran about 425hp for 218k miles with no engine trouble other than normal wear items.

My 7.3 is my "work" truck, and it's been at 400hp for the last 7 years with no trouble with it.

The 6.4 I have not had long enough to see how well it will hold up, but it's nearing 500hp so far trouble free. We'll see how well it holds up.

I've run Delo in all of those and run it in my two 6BTTA Cummins as well. Usually with LuberFiner or Wix filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back