2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8l -- Synthetic oil grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello good people, I live in a moderate climate, high desert Arizona I would like to know what would be the best grade oil (synthetic). I want to use 0w20 but just not sure If it would be safe. I drive 2005 gasoline Nissan Sentra 1.8l 4 cylinder engine.

Thanks for your help!

If it calls for it, it's safe. The water cooling keeps the engine oil temp in check within +/- 10 degrees.

High desert arizona doesn't even usually see 100 degrees. Typically 90 in the summer. 5w30 is what I'd use.

Originally Posted By: crb3
I want to use 0w20.

Why? It calls for 5w30. I don't know about the 1.8 but the V6 engines seem to prefer thicker oil. I would use spec oil in it.
I cant see any benefit whatsoever in running a 0w20 in your climate.

Originally Posted By: crb3
Hello good people, I live in a moderate climate, high desert Arizona I would like to know what would be the best grade oil (synthetic). I want to use 0w20 but just not sure If it would be safe. I drive 2005 gasoline Nissan Sentra 1.8l 4 cylinder engine.

Thanks for your help!
Exactly why do you want to use a 20 wt??

After reading the information regarding startup wear and operating repair viscosity, I came out seeing that 0w20 , and 5w20 give the most protection at startup and operating temperature.

I have a smaller than normal crankcase at 3.49 qts factory fill from 12 hyundai accent though 3 qts of PUP 5w30 and around 200ml of liquimoly additive tops it off. Another reason is 5w30 meets many more specs and acea ratings plus Noack is generally lower.

Thanks to all for the replies. Just researching and putting thought into what I put in on my next oil change. The article regarding oil 101 was very informative and I just want to put the best blood I can into my engine.

Last edited:
2.9qts for that car and Amsoil even imples that a 10w30 or 10w40 full synthetic will work above 0 fahrenheit. So, I would use either 5w30 or 10w30 and move on.

I have a rear main seal leak and liquimoly motor oil saver keeps it from leaking. I have used the mos2 as I deliver medical supplies and sometimes have 500lbs extra to haul down I 70 and it helps with engine load.

I have an 05 Sentra 1.8 and have been running synthetic for about 70k now. For 90% of that ive ran Mobil 1 0w40 or 5w30 high mileage. Car runs great on both oils, no difference between the two. I personally wouldnt run a 20 wt in it.

2005 Sentra Sentra Owners Manual:

RECOMMENDED SAE VISCOSITY NUMBER

SAE 5W-30 viscosity oil is preferred for all
temperatures. SAE 10W-30 or SAE
10W-40 viscosity oils may be used if the
ambient temperature is above 0°F (-18°C).

Engine oil *7

Drain and Refill

With oil filter change
QG18DE 2–7/8 qt 2–3/8 qt 2.7L
QR25DE 4–1/4 qt 3–1/2 qt 4.0L

Without oil filter change
QG18DE 2–5/8 qt 2–1/4 qt 2.5L
QR25DE 4 qt 3–3/8 qt 3.8L

• API Certification Mark *2 *3
• API grade SG/SH, Energy Conserving I & II or API grade SJ or SL, Energy Conserving *2 *3
• ILSAC grade GF-I, GF-II, or GF-III*2 *3
----------------------------------------------

This is what your owners manual has as recommended lubricants.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back