2005 Mustang GT 5 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m considering a mid-life crisis car purchase if I can find one at a decent price that hasn’t been abused hopefully, a 2005 (or newer, depending on price) Mustang GT 5- speed. All the reviews I’ve read have been very positive, it’s supposedly a very well balanced combination of performance characteristics at a very reasonable price, and the Consumer Reports repair history looks surprisingly good overall for a performance car. Thoughts? Thanks.

Those Ford 4.6 liter V8`s are indestructable! DEFINITELY get the standard tranny! It`ll be a fun car!!!!!!!!

but, yeah, the 2005 MGT is a heckuva good all-around toy. If I were you I would wait for the 2011 5.0L GT (yowza).

Tell yer wife you gonna pick you up a '05 GT and come home with a sweet new 5.0!

K

I guess you should pay attention for problems with the drivetrain. I imagine someone with bad shifting habits and who liked to race may have beat up the synchros or driveline by shockloading the thing every shift.

Depending on the price, you may be able to spend a little more, and get an '11 V6 -- which will probably be nearly as fast, and make 31 MPG. But, I've always liked the V8 Mustangs. I understand the appeal. There's nothing like the torque of a V8.

Had one. Fairly fun...very powerful. Fast in a straight line. Not really very nimble. Heavy feeling. Best part was merging onto a major on ramp and being able to pick and choose where I wanted to merge.
Ever consider an MX5 Mazda Miata? I had one of those and enjoyed it far more than my Mustang. The latest models are exceptional and make the Mustang seem like a clod....fast, but a clod.

Well I really like straight line power, much more than handling, I have a 2007 Nissan Spec V and it’s a great handling car with good power, but I’ve always wanted to try a rear wheel drive V-8 for the unbeatable torque and sound, and from what I’ve read the redesigned 2005 Mustang was supposed to finally be a very good handling car to augment its undeniable power, completely unlike the ancient Fox platform it replaced so I figured a good used 2005 or newer ‘Stang would be a good choice.

You could look a the V6 Mustang. The convertibles are really nice, and you can get a ton of power out of the V6 with a common supercharger and exhaust kit. Easily decimate a GT.

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt....the Mustang is a great choice if you like V-8 torque, rumble, and seat of that pants power. It will smoke many cars out there if you so choose. My point is more about balance, smoothness in curves, and refinery. The 4.6 is a great engine....one of the best. But as for the Mustang being a great back road, curve-loving ride? Not at all. The MX5 ate that up and was pure pleasure and tons of fun. The Mustang is indeed fun, but in a different way. If you ever wanted to make a real monster out of that 4.6, many bolt-ons are out there.

I bought one for my "mid-life crisis car" a new 2008 Mustang Convertible "pony package." Started out looking at used ones (06-07's) and even went looking at several in Indiana and Illinois and the only nice one I could find (an 06 standard model w/ 20K ) asking was 21.9K and the best I could do was 20K. I just bit the bullet and went new for 4K more. Would recommend staying away from the 2005's( 1st year/several problems.) My wife and I still love this car--even a year and a half later strangers will still come up and complement the car and want to talk about it.

get a c5 z06 instead.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
You could look a the V6 Mustang. The convertibles are really nice, and you can get a ton of power out of the V6 with a common supercharger and exhaust kit. Easily decimate a GT.

nothing more awesome than a car that requires more maintenance, less return $ on investment, probably worse mpg, and the v8 will still be bone stock, running 87 octane. What a great idea!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: matt922
get a c5 z06 instead.

nothing more awesome than a car that requires more maintenance, less return $ on investment, probably worse mpg, and the v8 will still be bone stock, running 87 octane. What a great idea!

If someone did this, they probably wouldn't be doing it for practicality. I think it would be fun to beat the stuffing out of a V8 owner with a V6.

Then you do the same mods to the GT. The V8 is always going to have the potential to be faster.

And it sounds WAY better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back