2005 Mustang GT 137K on it...recomend a dino oil..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just aquired a 05 GT from a female at work. she always had oild changed at quick change shop and I am pretty sure she did it regular but I am sure she also used dino oil...and the sticker on the window says something to that effect..

I always used synthetic in my cars but because of the miles I am thinking I am going to have to run regular oil

so what is recomended on a 4.6L with that kind of miles ? I dont think it has any leaks but I just got the car yesterday.

If you were going to use any synthetic, I would recommend Valvoline Synpower with Maxlife. It has extra anti-wear additives and friction modifiers. It uses an ester as an ashless AW/FM as well. It also has a lot of seal conditioners.

Those engine go hundreds of thousands of miles in taxi's using cheap bulk fill. I wouldn't bother with high mileage oil until it's actually needed.
5W20 works great in that engine anywhere in the USA. Use what you want, it wont matter.

I can't answer that. I just don't know.

But, if she has done regular oil changes you would probably be ok with a "full" synthetic. If it were me, yeah, I'd switch over.

You can use synthetic, regardless of mileage, with no problems
smile.gif

But for a quality low-cost oil, Kmart often has Smitty's on sale for about $8 for a 5qt jug

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Those engine go hundreds of thousands of miles in taxi's using cheap bulk fill. I wouldn't bother with high mileage oil until it's actually needed.
5W20 works great in that engine anywhere in the USA. Use what you want, it wont matter.

Years ago the Crown Vic taxies here would use MC syn-blend 5w20. Not only for oil changes but for topping off. Some would need 4-5 qts. after a 12 hour shift. They were previously HWY patrol cars.

Any oil from the majors that meets the specs will give that engine the longest possible life, syn or conventional . Blends are super.

I agree with the others above that Synthetic is unlikely to do any harm if it was serviced regularly. I've run Synthetic in my 1987 4Runner that has 333,455 miles on it, guess what happened? Nothing. For blends or conventional Max Life Valvoline is a great blend in a HM oil. But honestly these engines are NOT at all picky, it will die for other reasons, rot away or be totaled before an oil related failure using any of the Walmart house brand Super Tech series of oils, take your pick they make a 5w20 in a conventional a high mileage blend and full Synthetic.

Any house-brand dino will do just fine. ST, AAP, OR, or my personal fav of Rural King.

The 4.6L engine is a VERY long lived motor, and will survive quite well on any decent oil. It needs nothing special whatsoever. The one issue that occasionally will come up is the cam-chain tensioner guides, but that's because the plastic rails eventually fail (crack and chip) from many thousands of heat cycles. Oil selection does not stop this failure mode.

Change the PCV regularly, and motor on!

Personally, I'd run Supertech 5W20 conventional or synthetic if so inclined. Enjoy the car.

5W-20 is the spec for that car. My fiance owns a 2007 Mustang GT and she runs 5W-20 Motorcraft with a Motorcraft filter. You don't have to stick to a conventional oil in that car even if that is what the previous owner used. Just run anything the meets the spec for that engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back