2005 Lotus Elise

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine wants to buy one of these. He's found one with 69K miles for $25k. Seems high to me, but I don't know these cars very well. Any insight or advice?

we just had one in the shop with an ac leak we could not access.they ran the hoses through the sides of the car then they basically glue the exterier panels on. no access to them. the car must be lifted using 4 pre marked spots but was too tail heavy to be lifted.

i hope your friend has deep pockets!

Those cars have an odd sized front tire with very little choices to choose from.

The Sport model came with street legal race tires with a tread wear rating of 60!
What's worse is that there is only like one available front tire for the Standard model Elise.

This reminds me of Ford using the odd "TRX" size on a few Mustangs in the 80's. Google TRX tires for shocking prices.

They're pure sports car. Which is great of you don't need them every day, and if you have both the resources and the mechanic to properly maintain and service them. Otherwise, look else where, they are Saturday afternoon toys for those with other cars and deep pockets.

Tell your friend to buy a Miata
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Noey
They're pure sports car. Which is great of you don't need them every day, and if you have both the resources and the mechanic to properly maintain and service them. Otherwise, look else where, they are Saturday afternoon toys for those with other cars and deep pockets.

+1. I autocross with a fellow with a 2007 SC one and it's his street legal race car. Super fun on a track, but for street use and even autocross, a miata is pretty much as good, just not as fast.

I called about the car, but there was already a deposit on it. Thanks for the tips, though!

Isn't it just basically a re-badged Toyota Celica? I'll take a Celica any day over one of those. You can also buy a base stripped down manual tranny V8 Mustang for around that much (I saw a few that had a window sticker between $25-$28K).

Not a Celica! A real bonded frame Lotus, just uses a Toyota engine.

Not a good daily but an excellent track car. Known to be problematic, but not at all like the Lotii that created that reputation...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Isn't it just basically a re-badged Toyota Celica? I'll take a Celica any day over one of those. You can also buy a base stripped down manual tranny V8 Mustang for around that much (I saw a few that had a window sticker between $25-$28K).

If you get a chance at a show and shine, have a close look at one, the details and construction are interesting. Half race car and half street car, and stuff like silver foil and foam heat shielding, machined aluminum door hinges, CF muffler, etc...
Even the SC one isn't that impressive in a straight line, but they do have near go kart handling which you can't really get in many(any?) other street cars.

This!

Lotus has used engines from other carmakers for some time. Some have/had the Toyota 1.8L engine. Others have a Rover 1.8L engine.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Not a good daily but an excellent track car. Known to be problematic, but not at all like the Lotii that created that reputation...

A used 3 series BMW would be a better car for the long run.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

A used 3 series BMW would be a better car for the long run.

For bombing around on the street sure, but for a track toy, you would have to do a lot of work to get a 3 series to give the same experience an Elise.
The guy I know bought his new, so there were options available that will go around a track faster, but he wanted a lightweight/responsive car and didn't feel the need to go exceedingly fast with 4-500hp+

I occasionally see a few Lotus Elise's around here. We have a racetrack close by.

Very attractive little cars in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back