2005 Liberty CRD - 10k mi - Lucas Magnum 15W-40

I'm generally not a fan of Lucas products, but I came across a clearance case of 4 gallons of this Magnum 15W-40 that they market for pre 2007 diesels, and it was too cheap to pass up! I've owned this Jeep since new and just crossed 100k mi on it so I though I'd do an analysis. Never seen one here for this oil so I thought I'd post it. Previous analyses in the sheet below were mostly CI-4+ Rotella T6.

I don't drive it much because I have work vehicles, so this oil was in the engine for 2 full years and 10,000 mi. Here is the link to Lucas's web page on it. One point that was interesting to me was that the zinc content found in the analysis was right in line with what they spec, for those who care about that. This engine is a 16V 2.8L 4 cyl, DOHC with roller rockers and balance shafts in the sump, geared to the crank. Mild power tune and EGR deleted.
Capture.PNG

I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than to say that I owned a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD from new in December 2005 to some time in 2009. I absolutely loved the drivetrain and driving dynamics but quite literally hated just about everything else about it. It got nothing but Rotella T6 5w40 and Wix filters from the first time I changed the oil. It is the one vehicle I wish I never bought because I had so many issues with it and frankly it had the worst seats and most awkward driving position of any vehicle that I have ever been in. The engine, transmission, 4wd system, suspension, and steering were top notch for the price range of the vehicle but I 💩 you not everything else about it just angers me just thinking about it to this day.

Hi.
That is a common engine here in uk. Somewhat suprised you choose a 15w living in cold Colorado but you can't argue with the test results.
Thank you for posting.

Back