2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited brakes advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my parents vehicle. They drive usually very short distances but do take long trips occasionally. The vehicle is 2005 and only has about 63k miles on it. My dad wants to replace all the brakes....front and rear rotor and front and rear pads. The front pads have been replaced. Everything else is factory. I told him he might be able to save money and not replace the rotors but he wants them all new. So I was looking here http://www.bestbrakes.com/c/car-items/13109. I have my own ideas but I would like to hear yours. I would like to get stop tech pads but I do not see them for this Jeep. Thanks in advance!

I have been having good luck with these guys...
http://www.primechoiceautoparts.com/
Very high quality stuff so far at some of the best prices around.

Otherwise, I often look it up on rockauto and then just find the best prices on ebay or amazon for the EXACT stuff I want, including shipping in all my decisions for an apples to apples comparison.

02 tj in my sig.my original rotors warped @6000 miles. i had them turned.warped again @11000 miles.

replaced pads and rotors with azone gold. those pads and the rotors lasted 90000miles!

Dont cheap out, replace the rotors, I would also round up a e-brake shoe and spring kit, sometimes the pad material delaminated from the shoes., also may want to clean up the backing paltes and paint with some Eastwoods while he has it apart.

I bought some Raybestos Pro rotors from Summit for all my cars, the rotors were about 45$ normal and clearanced for 12.50$ a pop so was all over that deal.

Oh and I use ceramic pads, keeps the wheels cleaner.

Try rockauto. Good prices with a good selection. You can do new front rotors and front/rear brake pads for $113. All Centric brand

Rotors: Pepboys platinum, Autozone gold, Centric cryo or highcarbon. Use solid blanks.

Hawk or EBC for truck/suv pads.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
This is my parents vehicle. They drive usually very short distances but do take long trips occasionally. The vehicle is 2005 and only has about 63k miles on it. My dad wants to replace all the brakes....front and rear rotor and front and rear pads. The front pads have been replaced. Everything else is factory. I told him he might be able to save money and not replace the rotors but he wants them all new. So I was looking here http://www.bestbrakes.com/c/car-items/13109. I have my own ideas but I would like to hear yours. I would like to get stop tech pads but I do not see them for this Jeep. Thanks in advance!

If you do not mind waiting a few days for mail order

Choices:
1st - Akebono (probably was the factory caliper and brake pad)
2nd - Wagner TQ

Given those two are both excellent pads for normal (non racing) vehicles I see no reason to look any further.

Remember places like Autozone can change suppliers whenever.

Rockauto should have the pads.

Mail order rotors from Amazon if you can get free shipping.
Rotors from Rockauto cost too much in shipping.

For most vehicles, spend your money on high quality pads and then get decent rotors.

Last edited:
Normally I would say use rockauto, but I have purchased rotors (from other retailers)that weren't stacked properly and came warped in the box. It is for that reason I would say buy the rotors and pads from somewhere local (Oreilly's, Autozone, Pep Boys etc.) so you can return them ASAP or get them turned if needed. I would also recommend going with a premium brake component manufacturer...dont cheap out on brake parts!

On newer Mopars, I have had better luck with Carquest Blue rotors & pads than the factory "OEM" or "Valueline" stuff.

There are still a bunch of Canadian made rotors for newer Mopars out there if the CQ parts guy is your buddy.

The CQ Blue pads are usually high quality Akebono units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back