2005 Jeep Wrangler and chipped key?

Hi and thank you. My dads 05 Wranglers ignition switch apparently is going bad. I am finding out information that says it will need a new and everything due to the key coming with a chip? Just does not seem like something this old technology vehicle would have. Can anyone verify this? And how hard is it to replace the ignition with thhis type of set up? Thank you!

IIRC and from refreshing online, if you have black keys, not chipped. Gray keys = chipped, and came with some packages.

Once the new lock cylinder is installed, start it....it will keep running if you don't need orogramming, or die if you do.

my 2002 Wrangler was a simple Sport model and had the chip. I forget when they started chipping the Jeeps, either 2000 or 2001 IIRC.

They do have a chip for 2005. It was 2001 or 2002 that the chip came along. I have an old key for a 2006 model and it does have a chip it also has the key fob built into the key. I believe the 2005 has the same style key as that one if not then it has the grey oval shaped key which has a chip.

Thank you everyone! From what I can see Kuato is correct. They have a key that was made at Ace hardware that has been working for years and it was never programmed so I think it is safe to say they do not have a chipped key. I got just the ignition switch....not the tumbler so I will see tomorrow if it will work or not.

Thank you everyone......no rekeying was necessary. New ignition switch worked.

Back