2005 Jeep GC electrical issues

So my son just called me at work saying he is driving home from school and all the dash lights came on and went back off. The vehicle continued to run... As he was talking to me on the phone he said it happened again. The Jeep has a battery that is about 2 years old. Any thoughts on what I should look at first? Vehicle in question is a 2005 Jeep GC with the 3.7L engine.

Thanks in advance!

I'd check the alternator. When mine when out on my truck the gauges would jump around randomly and the lights flashed.

The truck ran fine otherwise until I got home. When I checked it I found the battery almost dead and the alternator output highly unstable. Voltage was jumping from 4 volts to 16v randomly.

Yeah I can't complain too bad. We bought this Jeep used in early 2011 with ~80K miles on it. It was my DD for a long time until I bought my Ram. It has been driven by 2 teenagers and still keeps going. It has been relatively maintenance free aside from wear items like brakes, shocks, batteries etc. It has ~175K on it now so I think I got my monies worth. Just hoping it will last a couple more years until they are done college and can stand on their own feet.

Thanks for the tips. I will try to report back what I find.

I had an 08. It did similar things to me even when it was only a couple of years old. I never quite figured out why. I would definitely check every ground, check and clean alternator terminals, battery clamps, and anything that carries power or ground.

once it stalled when I changed a setting on the instrument cluster, and a restart got it going again. Several times I had the light show, but it kept going without a burp.

I would also consider disconnecting the battery for half an hour in case a bit got stuck somewhere in a computer routine. I’m obviously grasping at straws here...

that said, the driveline was excellent, ergonomics were great, driving experience was very very good. We liked it a lot.

Well folks I promised to report back on what I found...

The good news and bad news is that the Jeep has not misbehaved again since this original complaint. I am leery to tear into a vehicle of this age since who knows how it ends and where it stops...

Thanks for the advise and if the issue reappears I will reference the suggestions here.

Back