2005 Hyundai Elantra ticking ,which oil for summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would try using a Hyundai branded filter. If it works for you, try buying a case of them on the internet to save money. It is common practice here for (I believe) your generation Elantra for the car dealership mechanics to replace the aftermarket filter with a Hyundai filter if the engine ticks.

Lots of good oil suggestions. You have much thicker options than what we have in the US.

Oem filter was cheaper than aftermarket actually so i will always use oem from now on.
Yeah seems like people in US run thinner oils, colder climate or emission/mileage requirements maybe.

Originally Posted By: HotelMike
Thanks for your suggestions,actually today i was about to buy the oil but mobil 1 5w-40 catched my eye(super 3000 x1 acea a3/b4), i looked at the specs and its viscosity is higher compared to 5w-30 i was using.
How would that work i wonder.

A synthetic 5W-40 that is A3/B4 sounds like a fine oil.

It's probably not Mobil 1 but Mobil Super 3000. So I don't know too much about.
It looks like this stuff
http://www.mobil.co.uk/uk-english-lcw/carengineoils_products_mobil-super-3000-x1-5w40.aspx

Yes, nice oil. Lots of good manufacturer specs.

HM,

Nothing wrong with sticking with your original Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic and trying a OEM filter.

Your call
- New filter (OEM from Bosch)
- New oil (I'm thinking thicker as the ticking starts late in your OCI, not straight away)
- Both new oil and new filter.

At the end of the day you are just trying to find a combination that works for you. I'm doing the same thing myself right now.

Im back with update;
Bought the Mobil 5w-40 and did the oil change this weekend, left it to drain whole overnight.Filled the filter(oem) and engine but sadly ticking is still there, damage is done probably.

HM,

Sorry to hear you still have an engine tick.

You would think with a new OEM filter and a new synthetic oil, things might improve. But, give it some time, like 1500KM, for the new oil & filter to settle into the car.

Previously my car was serviced at a local garage, with a no-name filter and a semi-synthetic 10W-40 oil. It had a minor tick on start-up, that quickly went away as the car warmed up. No Problem.

I decided to do the next oil change myself. I got a better filter, and a full synthetic name brand 5W-40 oil. Now I have a big tick that lasts a long time.
mad.gif

How could I improve everything and yet go backwards?

So I'm determined to work my way through this. I will keep the filter the same for the next few oil change intervals (OCI), but try two different oils. First a 15W-40 mineral oil, following the logic that if 5W-40 is worse (starting at 10W-40), then maybe 15W-40 will be better. I have no cold start issues where I live.

If that doesn't work, then 5W-30 synthetic is next on the list to try.
If that doesn't work, then a new filter brand.

I have about 4000 KM on my present oil, and I was planning to run it longer, but I might change it soon. I will consider it a short OCI cleaning cycle, and yes this synthetic has cleaned up the engine nicely (looking through the oil fill hole). Plus given how much a garage charges to do an oil change, I have still saved money.

So HM, give your new oil a chance, and if you still don't like it after some time, go back to the M1 5W-30 but with the new OEM filters.

BTW, I'm pretty sure it's an oil issue for me, because the tick changes with the oil grade and filter. However if your tick is always there and doesn't change with oil & filter, then maybe you have another issue, like an exhaust gasket.

Good luck to you !!

Hi Sr5, unfortunetly i couldnt give a chance to new oil and ticking is my least worries now bad stuff happened.
Even though i checked for potential leaks for 2 days, 3rd day while mom was driving lots of oil spilled and car started smoke(oil on exhaust i suppose)
I go and check and see bunch of oil underside of engine and in engine bay.It clearly spilled with pressure so when i check the oil filter , small part of gasket moved out from its cavity.I removed and installed again and when you are installing it it seems fine but when it starts to tighten it kinda squeeze itself from its place.Thanks to my luck.
I bought some oil(mobil 10-40) and new bosch filter will drain what left in the engine(no dipstick reading) and fill it up with new filter and try to start it tomorrow.
Hope not much damage has made.
I suppose filling it with oil and starting the car cant do anymore harm or should i call tow truck?
Her drive was 1 or 2 km and it started to smoke while she was parking so thats when the leak was started im guessing.
fingers crossed.

HM,

Sorry to hear the bad news, if the smoking started just as she was parking the car at the end of the drive, then I think you should be OK.

Yes, get a new filter, replace the oil and keep going.

Good Luck !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back