2005 Honda Odyssey 5w-20 Schaeffer's 7000 - 3,941

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first analysis on this car. Driving consists of 70% highway, 30% city. The oil life monitor read 50% at the time of the change. I was curious to see how accurate it was.

Blackstone Labs

Oil Brand/Weight: Schaeffers 7000 5w-20
Type Equipment : 2005 Honda Odyssey 3.5 litre V-6
Miles on oil : 3,941
Total miles on vehicle : 9,836

Results ppm/%
Aluminum 4
Chromium 1
Iron 11
Copper 38
Lead 1
Tin 0
Moly 136
Nickel 0
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 13
Silicon 17
Sodium 7
Calcium 1411
Magnesium 6
Phosphorus 483
Zinc 606
Barium 0

Viscosity @ 210 47.8 (Normal 53-62)
Flashpoint 365
Fuel >0.5
Antifreeze 0.0
Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.3
TBN 3.1

Blackstone Lab comments:
We think 50% oil life left might have been a little optimistic on the part of your monitor, but it was not too far off. This oil was run 3,941 and wear is close to averages (based on 5,450 mile runs) but the engine is still new, so you're getting some break-in metals still. Once wear-in is completely past, (perhaps as eraly as the next sample), your oil life monitor should be more accurate. No moisture, fuel, or collant found here.

My obvious concern here is that the oil sheared back to .....what, a 10w? I would appreciate any comments and insights you might have. Thank you.

I think this is a good checkup.
1- The engine is extremely young so the UOA is not a good indication of the oil performance /endurance The numbers will improve as the engine ages
2- There are no mechanial issues indicated
3- Wear and oil depletion is not linear.
4- If it were mine I would combine factors 1-3 and try to go to OLM indicated change and retest.

AndyH - Thanks for reminding me of Bob's chart. I wonder why Blackstone's figures show it to be so low?

Bryanccfshr - Thanks for the sound advice.

Flashpoint low, fuel high - may be contributing to low viscosity. With mostly highway, something's wrong. And under warranty - time for a free visit to the dealer.
smile.gif

Honda 3.5L engines often will have fuel dilution issues. Parse through the umpteen other Honda 3.5L UOA's here and you'll find that many suffer this same fate.

Given the text comments in the original report of no fuel, and knowing how blackstone sends back the report, I can virtually guarantee there was just a typo and it was really "fuel < 0.5".

But, that is just my guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back