2005 honda crv oil leak

Hey guys

my 2005 honda crv has a slow oil leak on the passenger side. Ive read on honda forums the vtc solenoid is a common culprit. I purchased an OEM O-ring and it still leaked. I purchased a $20 Ultra power solenoid from rock auto and it seems to be working.

I cleaned the side of the engine as best I could with rags and brake cleaner( a lot). As far has I can tell it seems like the crankshaft oil seal. There is oil on the rack and pinion, under the hood on the insulation.

The oil starts to drip a few minutes after turning off the engine. Im assuming when the engine is on thats when pully or belt tosses the oil around the engine? Could it be the oil pan gasket?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20201025_181846.jpg
    20201025_181846.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 476
  • 20201025_181849.jpg
    20201025_181849.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 472
Check the timing chain tensioner cover. If it looks like it’s higher than that look down from the front/backside of the engine from the top. The oil pan gasket is hondabond , no actual gasket. From that picture the timing chain tensioner cover is soaked

You need to clean that all off then use a dye in the oil so you can see the exact spot. Prepare for LCA bushings on that car, yours are showing cracks.

Check the timing chain tensioner cover. If it looks like it’s higher than that look down from the front/backside of the engine from the top. The oil pan gasket is hondabond , no actual gasket. From that picture the timing chain tensioner cover is soaked

Forgive my noobness, does the timing chain tensioner cover have a gasket between it and the engine? Or are you referring to the crank seal is leaking behind the cover?

I've done a bunch of these. Every one had a hard, brittle crank seal in the timing cover.

Thank you I've ordered a timken seal from rockauto. Should be here friday. My honda dealership needs to order it in and they quoted me a week. I want to fix this asap. Although do you recommend an honda seal? How many hours did it take you to replace?

Another minor leak can be at the oil pressure senor. The crank seal do fail quite often.

Thanks! I believe the oring has been replaced. I have a copy of the previous owners maintenance log and was replaced last year.

You need to clean that all off then use a dye in the oil so you can see the exact spot. Prepare for LCA bushings on that car, yours are showing cracks.

I will have to try this! Thanks for the link! If its not the crank shaft seal I will definitely use this.

Thank you I've ordered a timken seal from rockauto. Should be here friday. My honda dealership needs to order it in and they quoted me a week. I want to fix this asap. Although do you recommend an honda seal? How many hours did it take you to replace?

It takes me about 30 minutes to swap these out on jack stands but I have all of the proper tools, and I have done many. That crank bolt can be a bear if you don't have a professional grade impact with a weighted crank socket. There is also a tool to lock the crank pulley off of the large hex, but I have still snapped breaker bars trying to loosen the crank bolt with that method. Plan a few hours if you need to locate tools or struggle with the bolt. The torque spec on the crank pulley bolt for reassembly is 181 ft/lbs if I remember correctly.

It takes me about 30 minutes to swap these out on jack stands but I have all of the proper tools, and I have done many. That crank bolt can be a bear if you don't have a professional grade impact with a weighted crank socket. There is also a tool to lock the crank pulley off of the large hex, but I have still snapped breaker bars trying to loosen the crank bolt with that method. Plan a few hours if you need to locate tools or struggle with the bolt. The torque spec on the crank pulley bolt for reassembly is 181 ft/lbs if I remember correctly.

Thank you! I have a friend that will be assisting me (bringing the proper tools) Also I got the timken seal already, fast shipping with fedex!

The one I purchased is the Timken 710608 crankshaftseal. Im not sure if I got the right one.

edit: this is the oem part? #5 in the diagram?

Last edited:
I do not have any experience with the Timken seal for this application. Alot of their stuff for imports is repackaged from other OEMs, so I'm not sure of the quality, though it should be good given their reputation. #5 in the diagram is the OEM seal, and made by NOK. They are typically excellent. I have seen two seal types used, one brown, and one black. The brown ones I have seen typically fail brittle and hard with some cracking. The NOK units I have received through official Honda channels in Honda bags have been black NOK seals.

Update:

Got her done with a help of a friend. Actually he did all the work, I was just there to hand him tools and clean up lol.

A guess the previous owner had the seal replaced, the old seal was put in crooked and squashed. I did get the black NOK seal from honda. Im hoping this was the problem. Thanks everyone for your support. I actually got more replies here than the hondatech and crv owners club combined.

Lol those are my favorite jobs…being the tool boy assistant!

Out of curiosity, what was used to get the crank pulley bolt off?

Lol those are my favorite jobs…being the tool boy assistant!

Out of curiosity, what was used to get the crank pulley bolt off?

He was prepared, he borrowed a honda tool from his friend. I held it in place and he used his gun to remove the bolt.

S6M2E00A14674317531KDAD01.PNG

Back