2005 Honda Civic and 7,000 mile drain intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm running my wife's Civic 7500 miles between oil changes. I think the manual says 7500 miles is the service limit on their dino oil, so I assume 7,000 miles is more than okay with a good synthetic. Right now I have M1 5W-20 w/ a fram extra guard filter.

Any suggestions?

I think thats fine.

I have 2 neons, both 2.0l 4 bangers.
Both run on Mobil 1 5w-30 with OCI at 6 months or 12,000kms (7500 miles). Usually the mileage is hitting that right at the 6-month point.
I use a K&N (oversize, and overpriced...lol) HP-2004 filter on both.
The 98 is my 5-speed toy...at 178000kms it pulls like a horny steed and sees frequent redlining. I really bash it around. Had emission test last May and passed easily. Burns about 1 liter of oil between changes.
The 2001 is the wifes grocery getter. At 75000 kms it was e-tested last year and freaked out the technician with 0's across the chart. He re-tested it and it showed marginal readings.

quote:

w/ a fram extra guard filter.

That makes baby Jebus weep.

Isn't the XG the good one ??(no cardboard). Think its marketed in Canada as "Synthetic" filter or something?
..also its the same as Valvoline "Maxlife" filter?

^^^ooops no...Valvoline "Maxlife" filter is a repainted Purolator Pureone I think.

The Fram Extra Guard is one that is nasty.
Fram Extended Guard is ok, its the synthetic one I was thinking of.

Why is life like this
pat.gif

If you must buy a Fram (Heaven forbid), buy either the Tough Guard or the Extended Guard.

There have been posts here of cheap Frams taking engines 300K & beyond. But most of the members here will not support a company that produces/sells low quality filters for the same price as higher quality filters.

Makes too much sense to me.... give your "same money" to a better filter company.

I'd switch to a PureONE filter, just for a little extra precaution. That or a Wix.

We have a 2005 Accord and the manual states 10k mile OCI for "normal" driving. I thought the Civics stated 10 also.

Either way, I think you will be fine on 7,000 miles. I am doing that on the 2005 Accord with M1 5W20.

My owners manual (2004 Honda Civic) indicates 10,000 miles OCI's and every other oil change to change the OIL filter (20,000 miles) NORMAL interval. Check your manual or the Honda web site to verify. This is of course with conventional oil!!!! So using M1 (synthetic) going the recommended (and also for warranty purposes) to me is almost a total no brainer

I also used the M1 (0w20) and will use the 5w20 when the 0w20 stash runs out in 80,000 miles.

Fram also makes the Honda oem filter. (to Honda's specifications of course)

I normally buy on price, so indeed FRAM filters (#7317) do cost more than the WM SuperTech 7317 so I buy them at 2.07 per.

There are at least two OEM Honda oil filters, a Fram-manufactured one and the better quality Filtech-manufactured one. I purchased 6 of the latter from an online Honda parts store, not sure if all Honda dealers have them or not.

thooks: I believe you are correct. Just for the record, the Filtech part number is 15400-PLM-A01. I think the 15400-PLM-A02 oil filter is the one made by Fram.

I'm using the Tough Guard on the Honda, $5. With dino I'd use the $2 Supertech filter at about 5k miles.

Use of a fram filter is a high risk item. Just my opinion however,no frams of any shape,form,or fashion on my vehicles. The only filters I will use are Wix and Purolator Pureone period.

I'm doing 10K for oil change( Mobile1 5w-20) and 20K for filter (Wix) for my 04 Civic.

All the new 06 Civics now have a oil life monitor read out.

I would agree, I was almost mildly confuse when I looked at some of the catalogs for MANY #'d filters can and do fit. Again the truth is ANY of those Honda approved filters will fulfill any warranty concerns. Actually even NON Honda approved filters will fulfill warranty concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back