Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy with this UOA. TBN is 3.94
83kUOA.jpg

Same oil but at 5025 miles:
78kUOA.jpg

and a 25 mile baseline:
baseline73kUOApost.jpg

It looks like your TDI really likes the ELF 5W30...I'd stick with it at a 10,000 mile interval. You could probably stretch it out a little more, but it looks good at 10k. :2cents: BTW how much is that ELF oil/gallon?

Last edited:
I realize that the LLX is a 504/507 lubricant but I can't help but feel that your iron readings are high. TDI engines, whether PD, VE, and most likely to be on the CR designs, should return Fe readings in the 30 - 50 ppm range over 10,000 miles.

I just don't feel that lower HT/HS, lower viscosity oils provide the elastohydrodynamic protection required. I'd look for a xW-40, 505.01 rated oil to at least sample and compare results with. I have not been impressed with Elf's Excellium DID 5W-40 though.

Of course this is splitting hairs. You'll wear the seats out before you wear the cylinders out.

Did you see my other UOA's?
The first line is a 25 mile baseline of 507. With my past results, I am pretty happy with my wear. This is the first batch of 507 I ran through my motor, the next should be better now that the additives are working within the motor.

Look at the drop the AL took. Copper, Chrome, lead, pretty much everything has dropped significantly.

baseline73kUOApost.jpg

OK, I follow the sequence now. I was under the impression that those incredibly high iron numbers were also with the LLX.

I guess a few cycles are in order to get a reasonably accurate depiction of how the 507 is going to work.

Man I wish that oil weren't so expensive. I personally feel that the VW 504/507 is in a league by itself with regard to setting the standards. I'd switch my entire automotive fleet over to this specification if it weren't so expensive.

I know a guy with a PD powered Jetta. His use of Mobil 1 TDT results in iron numbers in the teens. What do you think is the difference?

Chris

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I know a guy with a PD powered Jetta. His use of Mobil 1 TDT results in iron numbers in the teens. What do you think is the difference?

Chris

I've seen some good results from that, but I think much of the wear on these motors has to do with the route they are being driven and how hard/gentle they are being pushed.

I think my commute is pretty tough, I drive fast on top of that so the motor is wrapped out more.

I am not sure anyone drives harder than me. In fact, my friends say I am relentless when it comes to automotive abuse! My Jetta is not babied in any way. Without saying too much, suffice it to say that all the power it can produce, it does!

Chris

That is how much of my driving is. I will drive 2-3 hours straight with the motor basically pulling almost 100% the entire way. There will be some downhill stretches where it does not pull but going from Denver to Vail, at 85-90 the entire way is quite the load.

Milehigh, nobody is harder on their PD than me, I am a courier, the car gets idled, redlined, WOT constantly, city driving, maniac chicago city driving, etc.

My iron rates have been as low as 17ppm of iron in 10,200 miles... usually between 20-26. Last was 27ppm in 13,464 miles with 24k on the oil filter.

The secret? Mobil 1 TDT. Far superior to 507, which caused high iron for me too. 58 aint that great. Why waste your money on 11 dollar a liter oil that is designed with diesel particulate filters in mind, and not wear protection?

I have a 2006 Jetta PD TDi and I too run TDT Mobil 1. I have only 18K miles on my car but I have yet to hear anything bad about this oil. In fact, it seems to be superior to the 505.01 oil that I can get at the dealer. The only oil easily available out here is the Castrol SLX 5w30 and its the same price as the TDT Mobil 1.

I personally feel that the 505.01 rating is way outdated. It was done back in 2004.. an eternity in oil technology.

VW has closed application for the 505.01 rating for a number of years now. Its obvious that many oils have easily exceeding this rating for some time now.

If you had a car that was made in 1984 and it said use only SF rated oil.. Would you say you couldn't run today's oil because they are rated at SM? Of course not.

I just want to pop in and thank you guys for posting your results and thoughts. Keep up the good work! Coming across this thread has been a confirmation to stay the course with the Delvac One 5w40, etc.

On an 03 TDI (ALH) I have been running Delvac One 5w40 (aka Mobil One Truck & SUV 5w40, and probably the new Mobil One 5w40 TDT) for 114,000 miles, (since the oem fill change @ 5,000 miles)

On a 09 TDI I am running the oem fill (507.00 presumably) and will switch out @ 10,000 miles to Total Quartz INEO 5w30 VW 507.00.

I actually would rather be running the Delvac One/Mobil One products, but obviously they do not carry the VW 507 "rating", for the 09 VW TDI, except for the Mobil One 5w30 ESP VW 507.00, which is hard to find (AV Lube). After shipping it is easily 10.50 per L/qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back