2005 Ford PSD with hard shifts when cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, looking for some input on a recent issue I've been noticing with my 2005 Ford F350 P/U with the 6.0 DSL and 5R110 trans. Recently, when cold I've noticed harsh, delayed shifts. There is no tuner or other mods done to this truck and it only has 129,000 miles on it.

Last year I did a drain and fill with fresh fluid and new filters and up until very recent it has shifted flawlessly. Once the truck is up to operating temp it shifts perfectly normal with no issues. Keep in mind my definition of "cold" isn't really cold here in Central Florida.... 38-45 degrees is the norm.

Any idea where I should be looking? I don't want this to escalate to anything serious, I love this truck and plan to keep it for a very long time. I've always heard the 5R110 trans in these trucks was very reliable and long lasting.

In my experience, when shifting improves as temperature increases, the culprit is often low fluid. Have you checked the ATF level?

Also , does the ATF have any " bad " smell or color ?

Did you , per chance use the wrong type of ATF ?

Check for coolant in the ATF & ATF in the coolant .

Any codes ?

Fluid level is spot on, it doesn't lose a drop.

Fluid is still bright red and looks like new, no signs of discoloration or burning and no signs of coolant mix.

If I recall I've seen many members of a 6.0 group have issues from using the wrong atf, what did you use? I won't be a tremendous help mines got the ZF6 but this could be a start

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Hi guys, looking for some input on a recent issue I've been noticing with my 2005 Ford F350 P/U with the 6.0 DSL and 5R110 trans. Recently, when cold I've noticed harsh, delayed shifts. There is no tuner or other mods done to this truck and it only has 129,000 miles on it.

Last year I did a drain and fill with fresh fluid and new filters and up until very recent it has shifted flawlessly. Once the truck is up to operating temp it shifts perfectly normal with no issues. Keep in mind my definition of "cold" isn't really cold here in Central Florida.... 38-45 degrees is the norm.

Any idea where I should be looking? I don't want this to escalate to anything serious, I love this truck and plan to keep it for a very long time. I've always heard the 5R110 trans in these trucks was very reliable and long lasting.

What fluid was used for the change?
5r110 uses Mercon SP, if you used MaxLife (that so many recommend), I think that could cause it. 5r110 is very reliable. I never had any different shifts in winter vs. summer with mine. My winters are way colder than yours.

Last edited:
I did use MaxLife as I always have and never had a single issue. I also find it odd, if the fluid caused this that it would've occurred before now being I changed it over a year ago and have put 5-7 thousand hard towing miles on it since?

Just a thought... Have you verified your coolant temp is being reported properly? Higher line pressure and delayed shifts are a fairly normal thing during warm up, and if the truck thinks it's suddenly colder than it is it could cause the behavior you describe.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Just a thought... Have you verified your coolant temp is being reported properly? Higher line pressure and delayed shifts are a fairly normal thing during warm up, and if the truck thinks it's suddenly colder than it is it could cause the behavior you describe.

Temps and all other critical parameters are monitored constantly via an UltraGauge as this is a necessary evil of owning a 6.0 PSD! lol~ All temps are 100% normal, I monitor trans temp, oil temp and coolant temp.

Temps and all other critical parameters are monitored constantly via an UltraGauge as this is a necessary evil of owning a 6.0 PSD! lol~ All temps are 100% normal, I monitor trans temp, oil temp and coolant temp.

Good man. Got to love a smart 6.0 owner!

Do you have any way of monitoring trans PID's? I don't know how much the 5r110 will report, but specifically something like desired line pressure vs. actual?

Also, I'm not sure if this applies but check out this short thread: https://www.powerstrokenation.com/f...7-5r-shifting-late-hard-when-cold-2.html

The OP is describing almost the same thing as you are, could you perhaps have a fueling issue you aren't aware of yet?

Good man. Got to love a smart 6.0 owner!

Do you have any way of monitoring trans PID's? I don't know how much the 5r110 will report, but specifically something like desired line pressure vs. actual?

Also, I'm not sure if this applies but check out this short thread: https://www.powerstrokenation.com/f...7-5r-shifting-late-hard-when-cold-2.html

The OP is describing almost the same thing as you are, could you perhaps have a fueling issue you aren't aware of yet?

Great read, thanks for the info and the link 14Accent!

I don't know of any way to monitor the specific trans PID's but that would be nice, I'll have to check ForScan, I haven't used it in quite awhile but I know it offers a ton of data.I'm thinking line pressure vs commanded pressure will be a good start. If they match up I'll chase an engien problem but it seems to run 100% when hot or cold.

The ECM doesn't know what actual line pressure is, It simply operates the Pressure Control Solenoid on a 0-100% Duty Cycle based on a calculated load from MAP/TP/MAF inputs.
The delayed shifts are interesting.....This normally indicates that the engine is NOT producing the power it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back