2005 Dodge Neon spit plug out of cylinder head took threads with it.

So my 2005 Neon about a year ago spit out the left or very right spark plug if you're facing the engine. I was on my way to work when It happened. I was able to pull over in a parking lot. I re-threaded it back in, with no problem. It happened again a couple months ago, same result. Three days ago out of the blue it does it again. This time after threading the plug back in and starting my car it blew it out of the hole taking all of the threads with it. Now I was looking at heli-coil, which I've never done before. There is also another competing product or products. One is called a Time-Cert, which is supposedly a more permanent option. The other is the "Fail proof " C-Sert, which according to information online it's a better anchor. Now how many of you done this with useable results? Anything to look for when Either Heli-coil or Time-Certing new threads to hold a spark plug. My dad thinks that the original owner, who only commuted 2-3 miles to work, and exclusively garaged it, and maintained it by the book had someone cross thread the plug just enough where they could get it back in. After doing some digging, it looks like this is a common problem on some of the Neon forums. All help/ suggestions appreciated.

Use a Time Sert. The aluminum head and the aluminum insert have the same expansion rate and have no tang (they have coils with no tang also but you would have to find them) that has to be broken off and may drop down the cylinder and do serious damage. Use the kit and when you no longer need it sell it here or on ebay and get some of your money back.

Pretty sure he uses a time-sert in this video. Might help put your mind at ease about the process.

--Edit--

Nope, heli-coil, but probably very similar, no tang on them.

Last edited:
I've done Heli-coil in aluminum many times, but for plugs only twice.
A good tip is to pack you tap with grease so you don't loose chips into the cylinder.
Clean the threads well with brake parts cleaner or acetone to make sure the thread-locker has good adhesion.
Good luck with it.

I've never heard of a Chrysler 2.0 doing this....someone butchered those threads at some point.

I've never heard of a Chrysler 2.0 doing this....someone butchered those threads at some point.
That's my guess as It always had the same plug that would come out. I did find alot of the same problems posted on a Neon forum

Only 120k miles. I'm very irritated as my Geo went 2y4k before it went belly up.

I have two 2001 2 valve modulars. I know this is in my future some day.
When it happens buy the Time Sert kit either new or used (make sure it is complete) and keep it till they are gone then sell it on fleabay and get some of the money back, it will sell quick.

When it happens buy the Time Sert kit either new or used (make sure it is complete) and keep it till they are gone then sell it on fleabay and get some of the money back, it will sell quick.

*IF* I ever do the passenger side head gasket on the 5.4 it'll get the cal-van inserts. I do need to carry something in both just in case.

I watched the entire video that ctechbob posted. It was very interesting and looks like a fairly easy job if you have the help-coil tools. I have never had a spark plug blow-out. I dodged the bullet somehow with my old 05 Ford F-150 3 valve 5.4 engine.

I watched the entire video that ctechbob posted. It was very interesting and looks like a fairly easy job if you have the help-coil tools. I have never had a spark plug blow-out. I dodged the bullet somehow with my old 05 Ford F-150 3 valve 5.4 engine.
In ‘05, the tendency was for two-piece plugs to break when the attempt was made to take them out.

Back