2005 CR-V trans issue, 274k

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no harm now in an additive. Lotsa good feedback on lubegard.... there are several flavors and you need to find the right one, but it might add some gentleness to what's left in 1st gear. Can you manually start it in 2nd then transition to drive?

Originally Posted by meep
There's no harm now in an additive. Lotsa good feedback on lubegard.... there are several flavors and you need to find the right one, but it might add some gentleness to what's left in 1st gear. Can you manually start it in 2nd then transition to drive?

Yeah, there's 5oz of Lubeguard Red in there now. I plan on changing the ATF again in 5K and re-doing another dose of something..........provided it lasts that long.
I did actually think of starting in 2nd and will try that out........should be fine as it's only 1st that's beginning to die.

I limped an Accord with a failing trans for well over an additional 100,000 miles (to 386k). I would put half a bottle of Lucas in it, I ran that in mine, it definitely did not hurt the trans. I stuck to 25k drain and fills with Maxlife.

Also, on the CRV I believe you can start out in 2nd instead of first if you select it. I would be manually shifting it when possible to avoid first.

Audible whine in Park/Neutral is what happened to my wife's 2000 Accord. It limped along for a while, but got bad quickly and I had it rebuilt. I forget which bearing my trans guy said let loose, but it ended up trashing everything to the point he couldn't use the case. The car still drove, but it sounded terrible and was doing a horrible 1/2 shift.

Luckily I'm not far from an excellent Honda Trans guy and $1300 later it was back on the road.

I agree with lots of the comments here, if the rest of the car is in good shape and you can repair/replace the trans for decent money, its best to keep the devil you know as opposed to potentially buying someone else's problem.

$4k does seem awfully steep though.

ok - so lucas and an external inline filter to catch debris before it causes secondary damage. that's my vote!

I think that the 2005 CR-Vs come from the factory with an external in-line transmission filter, I know for a fact that my 2011 does. If it hasn't already been replaced, replace it now. Stick with Lubegard Red for an additive, for it to do any good you need to add more than 5oz though, 10 to 12 oz would be appropriate for your transmission.
Gasbuggy is correct, if you put the transmission lever in 2, it starts out from a stop in 2nd gear.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Things wear out, at 274k with drain and fill every 30k, you've done all you could.

It is not just the clutch pack, the solenoid can also wear out (clearance). I would try a thicker fluid to see if it helps, maybe the Castrol Import Multi Vehicle, it is thicker than DW-1 and Valvoline Maxlife. Thicker fluid in theory will work better when the clearance is worse (i.e. solenoid clearance).

Does the CRV has sentimental value? 274k is a very good run and it doesn't owe you anything. You don't want to drop a used tranny in there and then the head gasket blew or an insurance total it for less than the tranny swap price.

I agree 274K miles the vehicle does not owe you a thing. It's time to replace the vehicle or transmission.

I would rather save the Thousands you'll spend and just manually shift it down to 2nd as much as possible

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
The beloved CR-V now finally has what I can only describe as a first-gear, starting from a stop, "shudder/clicking" and you can feel it slightly as well. Shifts normally otherwise.

Background:

I'm the only person who has ever changed the ATF on this vehicle. Every 30k from new until 265k. When I changed it then, I noticed how abnormally dark the fluid was, and the magnet had a bunch of very fine black magnetic powder attached to it. **This was the first time I've seen these aspects.**
The shudder started about 3 weeks ago. Now at 274k, with an upcoming trip to Buffalo, I figured I better change it again. Took about 15 minutes, put in 5oz of Lubegard Red and 4 quarts of DW-1, and while it does run a little better, the shudder/noise is still there. **The fluid, and magnet, looked the same as they did at 265k, after only an additional 9K.**

I'm assuming the clutch packs are finally wearing out after 14 years and this mileage. The question is, can I potentially get to 300k averaging 9k a year with fluid changes at 5k?
If anyone has had one of these replaced or rebuilt, any cost ideas? The rest of the vehicle is sound minus normal wear and tear (well, the alternator should be replaced but it still charges. It makes things flicker sometimes.)

Have you ever changed the filter that attaches to the cooler line? Our 08 CRV had one.

Originally Posted by ARB1977

Have you ever changed the filter that attaches to the cooler line? Our 08 CRV had one.

Nope. It's really hard to get at. I can see it, but barely, from above.

Originally Posted by ARB1977

Nope. It's really hard to get at. I can see it, but barely, from above.
On my CR-V it is easier to replace the filter from below (after the plastic shield is removed). If the filter is plugged it could cause a problem like you are describing.

UPDATE: Changed the filter, same issue. Happy I did it, I'll baby it along till it fails completely.

Try the Lucas trans fix

I honestly think if you start it off in second, you'll manage to get some more time out of it. 274k is a good run but when you take things that far you want to get to 300k...and 26k more will be real interesting with that tranny problem.

I managed to get my 1999 Honda Accord to 289k before I sold it (I just couldn't do my 80 mile commute anymore in a car with that many miles...was worried I'd get stranded on the side of the highway), but I wish I had. Tranny pump started making noise at 90,000 miles, but it never became much of an issue. I always drain and filled the fluid every 20,000 miles, I believe that really helped.

2nd gear it the rest of the way...avoid the shudder.

Originally Posted by MarkM66
UPDATE: Changed the filter, same issue. Happy I did it, I'll baby it along till it fails completely.

Try the Lucas trans fix

Yes and maybe try using the entire bottle of Lubegard Red. It says to dose at 1 oz. per ounce of fluid capacity. So just 4 ounces is kind of under doing it. Plus maybe try their Dr. Shudder fix along with the preceding. Prob worth a few bucks to try.

fyi, kind of an old thread but just came across it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back