2005 Cobalt coupe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Chevy dealer just got some of these in and I have to admit I found myself staring at a silver model. I really like the coupe's lines (much better than the sedan) and the round tail lamps. Very sweet for a $15K car. If I didn't like having a truck so much I think I'd get a silver one with a manual tranny.

buying a car is a gamble on getting a good car or a not so good car,I would not put my money on a G.M.product. Chevrolet the heartbreak of America.Their slogan says it all.

That is a pretty good looking small car, and GM sure is pricing things low these days with all the incentives, etc. You might use some of the discount to buy an Extended Warranty from GM just in case
smile.gif
. If you go that route, negotiate the warranty as hard as you would the purchase price of the car and ONLY accept the actual GM extended warranty, not one of the third party warranties so many dealers push.

According to JD Power, Chevrolet has the second highest customer retention rate of any brand, second only to Toyota/Lexus:

http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/powerfacts/IndustryPowerFacts.jsp

" Toyota has the highest number of owners who purchase another model in the Toyota brand when they purchase a new vehicle. Toyota is followed in the ranking by Lexus, which retains 59.5% of its owners, and Chevrolet, with a customer retention rate of 58.9%."
John

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
buying a car is a gamble on getting a good car or a not so good car,I would not put my money on a G.M.product. Chevrolet the heartbreak of America.Their slogan says it all.

We have owned 3 Cavaliers and they have been good cars. The Cobalt shares some of the mechanics of the last generation Cavalier, including the excellent 2.2 Ecotec engine.

funny, I like the sedan a lot, and dont really like the round lights on the coupe. All in all though, I like the car, and look forward to getting one as a rental - as Im not in the market and thats where Ill get a chance to drive one.

I was always happy with the cavaliers I drove, and I know a number of folks who use them as commuter cars. No issues to note, just PM and they hit 100k miles.

I guess the MT variant can do 34 MPG highway. Thats not too bad!

JMH

I too have been satisfied with GM products. Have owned 3 Cavaliers and 2 S-10s over the past 20 years without any major issues at all except for a power steering rack going bad on the 1984 model. Replaced that myself with a manual rack from the junkyard for 50 bucks. The original rack made it to over 100,000 miles so I figure that's not too bad. Had I known about Lucas P/S treatment I possibly could have saved the original rack, but I let it run out of fluid and it trashed itself. Parts for GM are dirt cheap and seems like every parts store carries them.
cheers.gif

Id say get an '05 cavalier if you can find one. I bought one for $7995 in 11-2004. I actually paid less than that due to my GM card rebates. A LOT less. Its got the Ecotec and the 5 speed Getrag, same as a newer, more expensive Cobalt.

As far as 1st year issues, most of the parts on this car have been used before in Cavaliers and Ions. I wouldnt worry about that factor.

I also like the Cobalt (sedan) and I would get an additional $1000 off with my GM card. I still don't know if I would buy one over a comparably priced Corolla but I have been very happy with my 02' Buick.
offtopic.gif
In an effort to buy American I would also consider a Focus. What are some opinions on the drive train of a (base model engine) Focus vs. the Ecotec in the Cobalt. Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:
I also like the Cobalt (sedan) and I would get an additional $1000 off with my GM card. I still don't know if I would buy one over a comparably priced Corolla but I have been very happy with my 02' Buick.
offtopic.gif
In an effort to buy American I would also consider a Focus. What are some opinions on the drive train of a (base model engine) Focus vs. the Ecotec in the Cobalt. Thanks

I can't speak to the Focus, but we LOVE our Ecotec! Lots of get-up-and-go, easy oil filter change, very smooth, good gas mileage, sounds good when you put your foot into it, and according to my last 2 UOA's it should last a LONG time. I think both cars now offer an extended warranty on the powertrain.
cheers.gif

Mikemc: Glad to hear you like your Eco-tec. I think I'll rent one (Cobalt) this summer to test it out. Do you (or anyone else) know the history of the Eco-tec? ie: is it designed by GM Europe (Opel)or is it an American design etc... Good Luck

quote:

Mikemc: Glad to hear you like your Eco-tec. I think I'll rent one (Cobalt) this summer to test it out. Do you (or anyone else) know the history of the Eco-tec? ie: is it designed by GM Europe (Opel)or is it an American design etc... Good Luck

My brother got a Cavalier 2 years ago that has the Ecotec. He did a lot of research on it and what he found is that it was a Euro engine. He also told me he read where some think it'll be the next small block V-8, as far as reliability and longevity are concerned. Time will tell, but like many others have said, he loves that engine as well.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Originally posted by cousincletus:
[qb] Kinda makes me wish I had the Ecotec instead of the OHV in my Cavalier.
cheers.gif
Don't worry about the old 2.2, it's a very durable and reliable engine, just low on power. Probably just short of the old Iron Duke. And if you know my opinion of the Iron Duke, you'd see that as a huge compliment.

I too am a fan of the 2.2 OHV for its durability. I've known of several to go over 200k with only average maintenance. They are, however, a very thrashy, loud and 'agricultural' sounding engine.

quote:

I too am a fan of the 2.2 OHV for its durability. I've known of several to go over 200k with only average maintenance. They are, however, a very thrashy, loud and 'agricultural' sounding engine.

Again like the Iron Duke.
wink.gif

-T

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
My local Chevy dealer just got some of these in and I have to admit I found myself staring at a silver model. I really like the coupe's lines (much better than the sedan) and the round tail lamps. Very sweet for a $15K car. If I didn't like having a truck so much I think I'd get a silver one with a manual tranny.

I leased an '05 cobolt sedan in Jan '05. It's an OK car. I really like the mileage, and it handles well in the snow with the tires that came on it. Mine has a 5 speed manual, and I can get over 35mpg if I work at it.

It does have a lot of road noise, a really bad blind spot around the driver's side passenger door, and the side window defrosters are useless. While it has four cup holders, you can't use them for anything other than a soda can - coffee cups don't fit.

One other thing I noticed is that while the engine warms up very quickly, it's hard to get the interior warmed up. I have a 35 mile commute to work which takes about 45 minutes, and my feet were cold everyday last winter. Something else I find odd is that I cannot manually unlock the doors using the key without the alarm going off, and there is apparently no trunk release inside the vehicle. If my key fob ever bites the dust I'm in trouble.

None of the things I mentioned above bother me enough to give them a second thought, but I can see where they could be an issue for some. As long as it starts everyday and gets me to and from work without incident, I'm happy.

quote:

Originally posted by Evil Ron:
I wouldn't buy the first year's model, regardless of who the manufacturer is.

Ron, the Cobalt is the sister car to the Saturn ION which has been in production since the 03 model year. This "Delta" platform the car rides on is quite stable on achieves great crash test scores. Neither of these are "great" cars, but both are leaps and bounds better than the old Cavy and Saturn sedan series cars.

If you can deal with the boxiness of the ION, you get polymer panels that don't dent and still look brand new 10 years after you purchased it.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
Kinda makes me wish I had the Ecotec instead of the OHV in my Cavalier.
cheers.gif

Don't worry about the old 2.2, it's a very durable and reliable engine, just low on power. Probably just short of the old Iron Duke. And if you know my opinion of the Iron Duke, you'd see that as a huge compliment.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back