Not open for further replies.
Car: 2005 Cadillac CTS
Engine: 3.6L V6 VVT
quantity oil in engine: 5.7L
miles on unit: 111 459 miles
mles on oil: 7747 miles (3 months)
80%highway 10%city 10%idle
type of oil: PP 5w30
oil life monitor: 23% oil life left (changed the oil when it was at 88%)
make-up oil: 2 qts.

The first column is from Mobil 1 5w30 supersyn with 10k miles on the OCI with 92,5k miles on the odometer.

Al- 4 - 2
Pb- 9 - 3
Cu- 3 - 1
Fe- 40 - 16
cr- 1 - none
ni- 1 - ?
Mo- 91 - 60
mg- 15 - 12
B- 62 - 37
Na- 8 - none
Ca- 2410 - 3094
P- 712 - 757
Mn- 2 - 1
Zn- 820 - 868
K- 5 - none

Soot: 0% - 0
Water: cSt at 40 deg C: 52.81 - 57.70
cSt at 100 deg C: 9.41 - 10.10
TBN: 5.18 - 6.31
dilution (volatile): 0% - 0.50%
Viscosity Index: 158.00 - 164.00

When I first did my oil change, I put M1 10w30 because I couldn't find anywhere M1 5w30. Since the 10w30 is 4718m spec, I said it was the same thing but my car didn't like it. It drank 1 qt per 800 miles or so. So after 2k miles, I switched to PP 5w30. The oil consumption reduced a lot. I didn't run the oil life monitor to 0% because I'm going for a business trip any day soon and I couldn't wait to see the results. Now, the M1 5w30 is back in the crankcase.

Feel free for comments.

btw, the oil filter is the OEM cartridge from the dealer.

I put 10% of idling but it can be a lot more since I can't tell hw many times a day does the car idle. Approx 45-60 minutes/5 days a week a day since I do all the paperwork in my car with the air conditionning working.

Last edited:
Which column is PP? I'm guessing the last column on the right looking at those calcium numbers. I'd stick with PP if my assumption is right. Great report.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

This will bring out the Mobil = high iron posters :)

And the folks who say UOA isn't a good determinant of wear, and the iron is simply stuck in the sludge that Mobil 1 cleaned out, and yadda yadda yadda.

Given these 2 reports, you'd have to REALLY be a Mobil 1 fanatic to use it over Pennzoil Platinum in this application!

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: hate2work

And the folks who say UOA isn't a good determinant of wear, and the iron is simply stuck in the sludge that Mobil 1 cleaned out, and yadda yadda yadda.

Given these 2 reports, you'd have to REALLY be a Mobil 1 fanatic to use it over Pennzoil Platinum in this application!

LOL.gif

I like you.

As a user/fan of M1, it's clear the PP did better here. There were 2,200 more miles on the M1 though if you want to get picky about it. Also 24 ppm more Fe. LOL. How much oil was used as makeup for M1? Did it always consume this amount of oil? Not unusual for a Cadillac.

the car consume a little bit more oil with PP 5w30 than M1 5w30.
I'm running a consumption test (personnal test) of my own with oil brand, mileage, driving habits etc. When I first bought the car, it was consuming about 1 qt per 6k miles and now I'm like 1 qt per 3,5k miles (with PP). I'll check later with M1 5w30.

Also, the analysis from M1 was during winter driving and a lot of very cold starts etc compared with PP with summer time and a lot more of highway driving.

DREW99GT, I am not a fan of any kinda oil and I bought Mobil 1 again because I didn't know what was the results of PP. What I will do though, is on my next oil change, I'll put back PP 5w30 in it so it will be winter time and I'll run the OLM until it tells me to change the oil.

Buster, with M1 5w30, when the oil is new in the crankcase, the first 3k miles, it used about .5 qts. After that 1 qt per 4-5k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
hate2work said:

LOL.gif

2 qts of top off oil certainly helped the PP. Also a 25% shorter OCI as well. Some of these Caddys are oil burners, and if this one of them no wonder UOAs are going to be odd.
Also the M1 may have cleaned up stuff in the engine before the M1 was used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

2 qts of top off oil certainly helped the PP. Also a 25% shorter OCI as well. Some of these Caddys are oil burners, and if this one of them no wonder UOAs are going to be odd.

More excuses!

Even everything else out with wear/mileage and top off, and PP still blew Mobil 1 away.

But UOA doesn't tell us anything about anything....

crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

More excuses!

Even everything else out with wear/mileage and top off, and PP still blew Mobil 1 away.

But UOA doesn't tell us anything about anything....

crackmeup2.gif

PP is a very good oil, but in this case it burned off nearly twice as fast as M1, so much more top off oil than M1. Even with all said both reports are good for a Caddy.

Originally Posted By: Spykem4e
the car consume a little bit more oil with PP 5w30 than M1 5w30.
I'm running a consumption test (personnal test) of my own with oil brand, mileage, driving habits etc. When I first bought the car, it was consuming about 1 qt per 6k miles and now I'm like 1 qt per 3,5k miles (with PP). I'll check later with M1 5w30.

Also, the analysis from M1 was during winter driving and a lot of very cold starts etc compared with PP with summer time and a lot more of highway driving.

DREW99GT, I am not a fan of any kinda oil and I bought Mobil 1 again because I didn't know what was the results of PP. What I will do though, is on my next oil change, I'll put back PP 5w30 in it so it will be winter time and I'll run the OLM until it tells me to change the oil.

Buster, with M1 5w30, when the oil is new in the crankcase, the first 3k miles, it used about .5 qts. After that 1 qt per 4-5k miles.

Even your car likes PP more than M1! Listen to your car man, and keep feeding it PP!

Sometimes I wonder if the new forum members think we are all a bit off. I mean who on earth would feed their car PP? Thats just gross....

:p

Wow those TBN numbers are high. The make up oil and Hwy miles must have helped. Looks like a 10,000 mile oil for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back