2005 6.0 powerstroke Chevron DELO 5w-40 CJ4 5k mil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 175k miles on my 2005 Ford F-250 6.0L Powerstroke. I've been using the Chevron DELO 5w-40 synthetic for about 100k miles at 5k intervals. This was my last change with 5k on the oil with Archoil additive.

Looks very good! Do a few more; see what your trends and averages are. You can probably extend your OCIs out to improve ROI.

Curious about other maintenance done, such as the EGR, oil cooler, etc?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Looks very good! Do a few more; see what your trends and averages are. You can probably extend your OCIs out to improve ROI.

Curious about other maintenance done, such as the EGR, oil cooler, etc?

I thought about going to 7500, I'm just wondering how much shear I can get away with. As you know, the HEUI system is very needy of oil in tip top shape. I'm still on the stock injectors, HPOP, and lift pump. The truck runs new and starts immediately. Most cannot say that for a 6.0 with 175k miles. I dose my fuel with Optilube XL as well.

I actually had a small leak in the head gaskets during this OCI which I assume the extra Sodium came from. I'm assuming the Potassium in the Archoil masked the true Potassium levels from the blown head gasket. Truck would eat coolant when pushed hard. I've had head studs since around 90k miles on the truck, but they were incorrectly installed. We were able to take the nuts off the studs with a 3/8 air ratchet with no effort. We just installed new O-ringed heads from UCF with upgraded valve train since I knew the gaskets were done. The original heads looked extremely clean as if they were new along with the injectors. Cylinder bores looked almost new as well. I am extremely anal when it comes to maintenance on this truck. I overhauled the entire cooling system at 150k miles with hoses, thermostat, billet water pump, manual fan clutch, and radiator. I've also run a coolant bypass filter since 50k miles and CAT EC-1 ELC coolant along with an EGR delete. My coolant/oil temp deltas are less than 5 degrees and I have been running the same oil cooler since 60k miles.

Pay attention to the wear metals; that's telling you how the lube is performing.
Pay attention to the contamination; that's going to indicate to you a POTENTIAL SHIFT in wear.
Pay attention to vis not at all; it has historically shown no correlation to wear data.

Don't worry about the vis. The HEUI seems to thrive on 30 grade lube. You either feed it a 30 grade oil, or it will take a 40 grade and shear it down to a 30 grade for you. There are LOTs of UOAs here where 40 grades sheared down, and yet the wear rates go unaffected. Or, folks like RR1 who choose a 10w-30 don't have the shearing, but still get great wear results.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Pay attention to the wear metals; that's telling you how the lube is performing.
Pay attention to the contamination; that's going to indicate to you a POTENTIAL SHIFT in wear.
Pay attention to vis not at all; it has historically shown no correlation to wear data.

Don't worry about the vis. The HEUI seems to thrive on 30 grade lube. You either feed it a 30 grade oil, or it will take a 40 grade and shear it down to a 30 grade for you. There are LOTs of UOAs here where 40 grades sheared down, and yet the wear rates go unaffected. Or, folks like RR1 who choose a 10w-30 don't have the shearing, but still get great wear results.

At what level of wear and contamination is acceptable for a 6.0 powerstroke, and do you have a source for the info? What is RR1?

I am RR1, and I ran 2 different 6.0's over 400,000 mi. using mostly 10w-30, with UOA's posted on this site.

As dnewton3 already mentioned don't worry about a drop in viscosity, its the nature of the beast and the 6.0 will shear all makes down in short order. Which is the main reason I switched to 10w-30 and never looked back.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I am RR1, and I ran 2 different 6.0's over 400,000 mi. using mostly 10w-30, with UOA's posted on this site.

As dnewton3 already mentioned don't worry about a drop in viscosity, its the nature of the beast and the 6.0 will shear all makes down in short order. Which is the main reason I switched to 10w-30 and never looked back.

How did your injectors and HPOP fair on each truck? What year/model trucks?

First was an '04 and the second an '07, never an injector issue with either. I did have to have the updated standpipe(?) installed on both, also I fried the FICM on the '07 in extreme cold but it was covered under warranty. I had been running a fuel pump on my 100 gal transfer tank without starting the truck. Low voltage and the FICM module do not go hand in hand.

Excluding my current '15 SuperDuty the '07 had been the most trouble-free truck I had owned, the '04 never experienced the horror stories that the 6.0 is known for. There was a wiring harness issue with chafing and solenoids needed replaced in the transmission, but were all covered under warranty, so there was no out of pocket expense in repairs.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
First was an '04 and the second an '07, never an injector issue with either. I did have to have the updated standpipe(?) installed on both, also I fried the FICM on the '07 in extreme cold but it was covered under warranty. I had been running a fuel pump on my 100 gal transfer tank without starting the truck. Low voltage and the FICM module do not go hand in hand.

Excluding my current '15 SuperDuty the '07 had been the most trouble-free truck I had owned, the '04 never experienced the horror stories that the 6.0 is known for. There was a wiring harness issue with chafing and solenoids needed replaced in the transmission, but were all covered under warranty, so there was no out of pocket expense in repairs.

How many miles did you have on each truck?

Nice to see another good running 6.0.

Similar wear numbers @ 5k, on my 2007 6.0 with 115k miles. Still running the Delo 400 LE 5w30 CJ-4. The negative highs and over night temps in twin cities MN put the old 6.0 to the test but Still starts flawlessly.

I dropped the Archoil 9100, did not seem to do much to justify an extra $40 on top of oil purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back