2004 Toyota Sequoia V8 - Oil Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of weekends ago I changed the oil on my 2004 Toyota Sequoia V8 for the first time since I purchased it. It has about 76,000 miles on it currently. I opted for Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 because I believe it to be a quality oil that I can purchase at Walmart for a reasonable price and it seemed to work well in my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3. The same day I also put Maxlife 5w-30 Blend in my 89 Toyota 4Runner and it really seems to smooth out the engine, both sound and feel. I previously ran some PP in the 4Runner and my seat-o-the-pants-o-meter tells me that the Maxlife is the better choice for the application. After this last change in the Sequoia I didn't get the good "feel" that I did in the Mazdaspeed with PP and am strongly considering give Maxlife a change on the next change. Today I priced the Maxlife Synthetic and found it to be about the same as PP. Here are the options that I'm considering:

(1) Stay with PP 5w-30 and run 6-7.5k OCI
(2) Switch to Maxlife Synthetic and run 6-7.5k OCI
(3) Switch to Maxlife Blend and run 5-6k OCI

The biggest advantage with option 3 is that it would allow me to purchase the same oil for both rigs and use the 5 quart jugs at Walmart.

Any thoughts?

I know that the "feel" of an oil doesn't really mean anything, but I also know that I can run just about anything in the Toyota V8 so sound/feel is as good a reason as any.

I'd run the PP for at least 2 intervals before you make your final decision. I'd venture to say it's the first synthetic oil ever in the engine, but i don't know for sure. Sometimes the first synthetic change can get ugly. Mainly the extra cleaning that's going on and stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
I'd run the PP for at least 2 intervals before you make your final decision. I'd venture to say it's the first synthetic oil ever in the engine, but i don't know for sure. Sometimes the first synthetic change can get ugly. Mainly the extra cleaning that's going on and stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

+1 and do a UOA at 6000 but after 3 runs of PP. I have run PP in 3 Toyotas and the first fill or two the engine made more mechanical noise then quieted out. Don't ask me why.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas

Just my 2 cents.

+1 and do a UOA at 6000 but after 3 runs of PP. I have run PP in 3 Toyotas and the first fill or two the engine made more mechanical noise then quieted out. Don't ask me why.
21.gif

I don't need to ask, you got used to hearing the noise.
27.gif

The 2uz doesnt care if you put olive oil in it..it will run and run forever. Do what is in the best interest of your wallet.

Originally Posted By: casper
The 2uz doesnt care if you put olive oil in it..it will run and run forever. Do what is in the best interest of your wallet.

+1

i am getting ready for a run of Delvac1 in the tundra just because i am switching the FX to it. if the tundra shows any less wear, it will be getting newer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back