2004 Subaru Impreza 2.0L 4 Cylinder Motor Oil Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just acquired a 2004 Subaru Impreza 2.0L 4 cylinder mutiport injection (EJ20) boxer flat four engine and manual transmission with 402K miles on it. This Subaru runs excellent like our 2004 Toyota Camry Le 2.4L four cylinder despite the mileage and the manual transmission shifts great as well. Looking for any Subaru guys or anyone that can give us a motor oil recommendation and oil filter recommendation?? The information I was able to get out of the previous owner how said he is a Subaru enthusiast said he had been using Amsoil 5W30 synthetic OE and XL motor oil with a Amsoil EA oil filter or a K&N oil filter every oil change. He said OCI's were kept between 3K-4K miles as he said he was given this information from a Subaru engineer. Motor oil Recommendations from previous other than keep using Amsoil synthetic motor oil were don't use any Pennzoil products on this vehicle. Opinions on what motor oil and oil filter to use to make this Subaru last??

I've used Pennzoil on every Subaru I've EVER owned for over 400k combined miles without a single problem. Napa Gold 7055 or Fram Ultra 7317 are great filters, use Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum in 5W30, or literally ANY 5W30. It's not picky on oils... that engine family was designed back around API SL days so any oil today far exceeds the original requirements of the Subaru EJ engines.

I've owned a few Subaru cars over the years, and I'm pretty sure you're mistaken about that engine. As far as I know, the US never saw the 2.0L EJ20 engine in 2004. You more than likely have a 2.5L EJ251 or EJ253 engine in that car, assuming its the stock motor that came with the USDM Impreza. They are often known to have external headgasket failure.

In any case, the main thing I would advise against is using Mobil1. In Florida, I'd advise to use any name-brand 10w30 Dino oil you can find for a decent price. I'm partial to Castrol GTX, as I've run it in my 1999 Impreza RS for years with no concerns.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by italsupra10

In any case, the main thing I would advise against is using Mobil1.

Why is that?
coffee2.gif

Use a Subaru OEM filter ideally on these. Wix and Puro do make the correct spec filter for bypass pressure as well. Unless you're running boost, that EJ20 will be happy on any good brand name oil. I like Pennzoil conventional or Chevron Supreme for anything that doesn't need/require synthetic. However, in Europe and Japan, Subaru says 5W-40/0W-40 can be used and people love Rotella T6 5W-40 in WRXs. I'd wager Castrol Edge Euro formula or M1 0W-40 FS would be a fine pick as well.

Now the FB25, that oil drinking SOB... I've had luck with PP and Idemitsu in cutting down oil consumption.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Patman

Why is that?
coffee2.gif

BRO buys a Subaru Impreza. BRO finds how easy all of the go-fast goodies bolt up. BRO does his first oil change and uses Mobil1. BRO uses all of the bolt-on goodies with no supporting modifications and blows his EJ25 sky high.

It's Mobil1's fault

I've owned a few Subaru cars over the years, and I'm pretty sure you're mistaken about that engine. As far as I know, the US never saw the 2.0L EJ20 engine in 2004. You more than likely have a 2.5L EJ251 or EJ253 engine in that car, assuming its the stock motor that came with the USDM Impreza. They are often known to have external headgasket failure.

In any case, the main thing I would advise against is using Mobil1. In Florida, I'd advise to use any name-brand 10w30 Dino oil you can find for a decent price. I'm partial to Castrol GTX, as I've run it in my 1999 Impreza RS for years with no concerns.

It is possible it was a EJ25 that was replaced with an EJ20. Seems to be somewhat popular on the years that had more than just headgasket problems.

Originally Posted by Miller88
BRO buys a Subaru Impreza. BRO finds how easy all of the go-fast goodies bolt up. BRO does his first oil change and uses Mobil1. BRO uses all of the bolt-on goodies with no supporting modifications and blows his EJ25 sky high.

It's Mobil1's fault

Plus when he drained the oil it was black and flowed like water.

Odd how he slept for the past six years but woke up to bring us that word of wisdom.

A good high moly assembly lube ... for when you rebuild the engine on a 400 k Subaru ... !

In Florida, I would just use any cheap 15w40 'til it dies.

This was a rare find this 2004 Subaru Impreza 2.0L four cylinder is an authentic Japan Spec Impreza model that was clearly indicated on the vin tag and on the tag plate on the engine (EJ20). The original owner showed us this vehicle on his lift and is clearly authentic. Also again you can't Subaru's reliability and dependability same as Toyota. When the engine if and when does fail I have a complete engine rebuild planed for it. I have seen these engines go 400K-500K miles before needing a rebuild. I have owned a WRX and STI before they are excellent vehicles Subaru. The original owner said that the Subaru engineer he spoke to said to do 3,750 mile oil change every time for the longevity of the engine. Also I am still thinking about what motor oil and oil filter to use and am open to recommendations? I was never a Pennzoil fan and I will never use their products on any of my vehicles no offenses to those how are.

I have not heard of any reports of blown head gaskets on their vehicles. I did a thorough inspection and I did not observe any leaks and everything appears to be sound on this vehicle no evidence of any blown head gasket. The original owner said that everything is original as well. I plan to keep using what Subaru highly recommends using a 5W30 weight motor oil. Even through Amsoil is superior and has been proven to be a excellent quality motor oil to use in your vehicle in the oil analysis I have seen I am going to be using Eneos 5W30 full synthetic motor oil or Liqui Moly 5W30 full synthetic motor oil. As for oil filter choice we will never use a Fram oil filter on any vehicle we own. I am going to be using K&N oil filters or Mobil 1 oil filters on this vehicle. Great recommendation on the NAPA Gold oil filters and Purolator Pure One oil filters they work very well.

Last edited:
I had an 88 GL and 99 Impreza and used Castrol at manual spec. I'm not sure if I'd do the same thing today but Castrol always seemed to hold up.

Originally Posted by Nissanfan845
I have not heard of any reports of blown head gaskets on their vehicles. I did a thorough inspection and I did not observe any leaks and everything appears to be sound on this vehicle no evidence of any blown head gasket. The original owner said that everything is original as well. I plan to keep using what Subaru highly recommends using a 5W30 weight motor oil. Even through Amsoil is superior and has been proven to be a excellent quality motor oil to use in your vehicle in the oil analysis I have seen I am going to be using Eneos 5W30 full synthetic motor oil or Liqui Moly 5W30 full synthetic motor oil. As for oil filter choice we will never use a Fram oil filter on any vehicle we own. I am going to be using K&N oil filters or Mobil 1 oil filters on this vehicle. Great recommendation on the NAPA Gold oil filters and Purolator Pure One oil filters they work very well.

My bad. I thought you had asked for recommendations. You obviously already had a plan in mind. Carry on!
12.gif

Originally Posted by Patman

Why is that?
coffee2.gif

I can't speak for why that poster said it but I've seen a lot of ignorant posts on various Subaru forums claiming Mobil1 is bad for Subarus. In almost all cases it seems to be based on some mythical wives tale. My guess is that -maybe- some variant of M1 didn't fare well in -some- Subaru engines and that morphed into ALL M1 oils being unsuitable for ANY Subaru. A favorite was a thread where someone was asking about using M1 Euro and a responder warned against it because "that oil can't withstand the heat and will shear down like water" (lol) - apparently ignorant of what HTHS means. (Not to mention how stringent MB, Porsche, and BMW requirements are). I've decided to just go with a single oil for both my cars - a 2008 Outback and 1999 E39 (0w40 fs).

Using synthetic for less than 7,500 miles is a waste IMO. This engine will be fine running conventional every 7,500 miles. I had very good results running Pennzoil Conventional High Mileage in a ‘00 Impreza RS and a 99 Outback, both EJ 2.5's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back