2004 Sienna - Water pump post mortem pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

210K KM's 2004 Sienna. The water pump was leaking and rattling at idle, and I knew it needed imminent replacement. Before I could order parts the belt tore and stranded a family member on side of hwy. My guess is that the worn pump bearing allowed the tbelt to walk on to the lip of the pulley and shred it.

The bearing was severely worn and had excessive play, and I was surprised to see a loose bearing technology (vs a sealed found in idler / tensioner). I only found 2 bearings, but there could have been more.

And here's tbelt aftermath:

Thanks for the pictures and info. Our 2005 is coming up on the mileage(142k kms) when it will need a timing belt and I've been waffling on whether or not to change the pump while the belt is being done. I'll have the belt, pullies and pump done at the same time.

did your family member serviced the T-belt before? if so, did they do the water pump + idler tensioner pulley (or bearing) replaced also?

Fact is, I know far too well/too many shops would take the risk of advising customers no need to replace water pumps and/or idler tensioner bearings when doing T-belt job, only to realise that a few months down the road, murphy's law strikes.

Q.

p.s. for Toy, always insist in going with Aisin replacement pump (or OE). GMB is the absolutely minimum I'd use in t-belt replacement job. Anything less would be a huge gamble.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
That pump would have gave you plenty of warning of its imminent demise...

I'm not the primary driver and so didn't notice the sounds right away, but it only gave us 3 wks notice before failure.

Wait a minute, did you cut a section out of the water pump for the pictures? It looks like one of those cut-away parts for educational purposes.

Originally Posted By: Quest
did your family member serviced the T-belt before? if so, did they do the water pump + idler tensioner pulley (or bearing) replaced also?

We bought the van with ~161K KM's, and there was a Mitsuboshi sticker claiming the belt was done at 155K. I'm certain nothing else was replaced, and the belt had no Mitsuboshi label anyway.

p.s. for Toy, always insist in going with Aisin replacement pump (or OE).

Agreed, I installed Aisin TKT026 kit via Rockauto:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3290562

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Wait a minute, did you cut a section out of the water pump for the pictures? It looks like one of those cut-away parts for educational purposes.

I was wondering when that question would arise ... ha. No, that's 16,000 lbs on a press.

EDIT: As a note of safety, never apply that much force on a press without a shield or cover. I had a 2" thick block of alum between me and pump brg.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NJC

We bought the van with ~161K KM's, and there was a Mitsuboshi sticker claiming the belt was done at 155K. I'm certain nothing else was replaced, and the belt had no Mitsuboshi label anyway.

Seen that happened to many local indy shops before: simply put on a sticker, grab the T-belt service money and then parted ways.

Then they play ignorance/blame game when something happened and the customer lost his/her engine...

Q.

Seen that happened to many local indy shops before: simply put on a sticker, grab the T-belt service money and then parted ways.

Then they play ignorance/blame game when something happened and the customer lost his/her engine...

Interesting ... I hadn't seen this before. I wasn't sure if it was a shady seller (distinct possibility), mechanic or both. I'm fortunate but there wasn't engine damage.

well OP, I have encountered shady, incompetent indy mech that would do just about anything to make a quick buck.

Things like charging for T-belt service w/o actually doing one (since most joes don't care/know enough even about where the T-belt is, and behind the t-belt cover, etc.)

also: help cheating emissions control so as to get an otherwise emissions failed automobile to pass testing.

Stealing a thermostat just to make a car run "cold" (still couldn't figure out the motion behind that)...

ditto with used-car salesman: motor hunny trick on an oil burning vehicle, pinch one of the vacuum line trying to get it to pass emissions testings, adding methyl hydrate in an older (OBD-I) EFI automobile so as to get it to pass emissions test borderline, etc.

Q.

So glad I have a shop I trust. I guess if I had to go to another, I'd pull in, remove the cover and cut the belt. But then could/would they figure out the timing or try to tell me engine damage was done.

Again, so glad I have a trustworthy shop I use.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
That pump would have gave you plenty of warning of its imminent demise...

I'm not the primary driver and so didn't notice the sounds right away, but it only gave us 3 wks notice before failure.

Only three weeks notice???? LOL

Wow, that one is toast, but it could have been worse.
When I was a kid, my dad had a '59 Oldsmobile that had a water pump failure. The fan and pulley went forward and went through the radiator. I also had the same failure on an older Chevy C90 truck with the Detroit 6-71 diesel. The fan went through the radiator on that one and the replacement core on that radiator was over $1100 at a mom-and-pop radiator shop.
Thanks for posting the photos.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Interesting, that's not an interference engine? I thought it was.

It's definitely an interference engine - the 3.3L 3MZ-FE. I don't know why there was no engine damage. The belt was still intact and both cams were aligned to each other, but not to crank.

I was wondering when that question would arise ... ha. No, that's 16,000 lbs on a press.

OK - but in that first picture it looks like the water pump came in contact with a band saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back