2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 2.0t, AMSOIL OE 5W-30, 6136mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the results from my 2004 Saab 9-3 Linear 2.0t. The car has the 5 speed automatic transmission. There was about 116,000 miles on the car at the time of the analysis. I'm running AMSOIL OE 5w-30 with a Wix oil filter. I'm usually easy on the pedal but there are times when I get on it. Most of my driving is on the freeway with some city driving.

Originally Posted By: Blackstone Labs
Wear metals are looking great in this first sample from your Saab. Universal averages show typical
wear for the 9-3's 2.0L turbo engine after ~5,400 miles of oil use, and your wear metals are reading much
lower than average, despite a longer-than-average oil run. In fact, this may be one of the best-wearing
examples of the B207L engine we've tested so far! We certainly don't see any mechanical problems in the
works here. The viscosity was a little low for 5W/30 oil, but that wasn't caused by any harmful contaminants,
and it's clearly not hurting anything. Nice report!

ALUMINUM 3
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 7
COPPER 1
LEAD 0
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 56
NICKEL 2
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 2
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 81
SILICON 5
SODIUM 4
CALCIUM 1870
MAGNESIUM 16
PHOSPHORUS 725
ZINC 749
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F 52.2
cSt viscosity @ 100 C 7.95
Flashpoint 380F
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3

A couple questions I have, why is the viscosity a little low and does AMSOIL put titanium in their OE oil?

That's what I thought. This is the first oil change I did on this car. I have no idea what the PO or dealer used before.

2ppm it is probably within statistical noise.

The 9-3 is pretty easy on the oil. It is good for a 2-yr 10k+ OCI.

Not sure if run OE because it doesn't meet ACEA a3, but obviously you fared well.

Is that oil dexos 1?

The manual only specifies LL-A-025 as a requirement for the oil. AMSOIL OE meets Dexos1 which supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M.

Originally Posted By: Falcon21
The manual only specifies LL-A-025 as a requirement for the oil. AMSOIL OE meets Dexos1 which supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M.

Dexos 1 does officially supersede LL-A-025 but an oil that used to have LL-A-025, like Mobil 1 0w-40 is actually a much more robust oil than Dexos 1 specs.

If you ever get an itch for a different oil at reasonable price too, Mobil 1 0w-40 is the closest thing you get to original factory recommendation.

Nice analysis! Your engine is in good shape it seems.

Last edited:
Nice add-pack (Mo, Zn) and quite strong viscosity after 6000 miles in this oil abusing engine!
wink.gif

I have a B205 engine SAAB and I will be happy to buy this oil here!!!
Enjoy your luxury car!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zoli
Nice add-pack (Mo, Zn) and quite strong viscosity after 6000 miles in this oil abusing engine!
wink.gif

I have a B205 engine SAAB and I will be happy to buy this oil here!!!
Enjoy your luxury car!

Thanks. Looks like your 9-5 has plenty of life left at only 243k miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back