2004 RAV 4 oil consumption -- hello, Toyota owners!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend's 2004 Rav4 consumes 1/2 quart of M1 5W-30 over 4000 miles with just 20k on the odo. At 16k miles he switched the engine from dino to M1 5w30. Toyota recommends 5k oil changes with dino and suggests sticking to that even with synthetic oil.

Is that normal oil consumption for a RAV 4, and what about choice? Any suggestions?

That's a good reading for 1st time Mobil-1 users. I would stay with that oil & weight... just substitute one quart 5W-30 for one 5W-40 T & SUV for more additive benefits. Alot of folks here use 15W-50 for the substitute oil, but since the most Northern California is almost parallel to Ohio, I suggested the slightly thinner, better cold protection 5W oil.

quote:

That's a good reading for 1st time Mobil-1 users.

But is this consumption typical for a RAV 4? Do you have one?

quote:

since the most Northern California is almost parallel to Ohio

I guess I should expect a few feet of snow this winter.
wink.gif
By the way, my friend lives at the right coast.

quote:

My 2000 Nissan Frontier did that.

My Buick and Audi also had increased consumption with M1.

Are there any RAV 4 owners?

First 1/2 a quart of oil per 4000 miles is great by industry standards. It is also normal for synthetic to do this the first change or two upon switching from dino oil.

While their is nothing wrong with synthetic 5W30's in general M1 tends to be thiner then most dino 5W30's starting out. You friend would be much better served by TSUV 5W40. Even if he does not want to go to 5W40 he should at least stay with M1 5W30 or 10W30 for another oil change to see how it goes. The other gentleman that recomended putting one quart of 5W40 in with the 5W30 would also be a good idea!

Yes, JB, I know it's not bad consumption and I know how to reduce it, but my question was how this consumption compared to other RAV 4.

My 2000 Nissan Frontier did that. I switched over to M1 5w30 at 10k, by 4k-5k it consumed 1/2 qt. I didn't stick w/ M1 at the next oil change to see if it was a first time switchover. I switched back to dino and no more consumption. I still use dino 5w30 w/ no consumption. I think plenty of people have noticed that w/ m1 in 5w30 from my readings of this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back