2004 Polaris Sportsman 400

Just recently did some wheeling and dealing and ended up with a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 400. Got it off an older gentleman, single owner, he takes great care of his equipment, I know him well. He goes out once a year(1 weekend), and that's the only use this thing sees. It has 130 hrs on the clock.

I was going to take it out soon, but am thinking that I should do a complete fluid change, filter change,...( I noticed the filter was dated 2009, not sure if he maintained by the hours used or seasonally).

I discovered rather quickly that Polaris really insists that you use there own products and you pay a fair bit to do it as well. Looked around here and other forums, and am getting a lot of contradictory information as to what can and can't be substituted. Not trying to start a flame war, but just want to get some solid info on how to maintain this thing without taking out a second mortgage.

As of now, am planning on running 0w-40 Mobil 1. If anyone out there has other recommendations for oils(engine, differentials, everything else), filters(oil, fuel, air), or coolant, I would sincerely appreciate it.

I really look forward to using this thing, and want to keep it in the best shape I can. Thanks in advance!

I have owned 4 rzrs.. never owned any of their 4 wheelers but same principle.

First off its 16 years old.. so before you go off far from home i would..

1) inspect and possibly replace belt.
2) inspect and possibly replace brakes.
3) inspect and possibly replace battery.
4) inspect coolant and brake fluid.. possibly replace.
5) inspect air filter and possibly replace.

As far as Polaris Fluids and filters... no need on any of them except the front diff. Polaris Demand Drive Fluid.. there are alternatives but just not worth the effort to chase them.

Rear Diff- 75w90 (i run supertech).

Oil Filter- Wix 1356 or Fram Ultra 6607 is better than oem

Engine OIl- No real need to go with 0W40 unless you plan on riding it in extreme cold.. 5w40 Rotella should do you well... cheap and available. T4 15w40 would also be very happy in that engine.

Tires- if they are old just carry a plug kit and a good pump. Well even if you have new tires...still a great idea.

Back