2004 Nissan Sentra - Bad Wheel Bearing?

I decided to check the bearings on my 04 Nissan Sentra 1.8.
Loud road noise sound. I always thought it was a bad tire, but the tires were replaced and the sound remained.
First checked for play in bearings. All checked out O.K. Went to the back wheels and the passenger side wheel spun freely. The drivers side was tight. I wasn't sure if it was brakes or bearings. Took off drums on both sides. They both came off easy. Spun the hub on the drivers side and it spun O.K by hand. Did the same on the passenger side. They both spin about the same, but the driver's side makes a little more friction noise than the passenger side, sounded a little "dry". Put the hub back on and both sides spin with only slight resistance before installing the tire.
It is not until I put the wheels back on and tighten lug nuts that the wheel on the drivers side gets tight again. I think that is odd. Is it normal for a bearing to not feel tight until the wheel is installed and tightened?

I think that is odd. Is it normal for a bearing to not feel tight until the wheel is installed and tightened?
Yeah....that sounds strange to me. But if you suspect a bad bearing just get on the expressway and use a few on- ramps and off- ramps that require both left and right turns. See if it makes any loud whining noises when turning right vs left and vice versa. you probably wont feel any play or resistance when the bearing starts going bad just some noise

I wonder if something is warped and bolting the wheel on pulls it out of alignment. I would start by swapping wheels from side to side and see if the problem moves and if the drums come off easily I would swap them just to test.

I wonder if something is warped and bolting the wheel on pulls it out of alignment. I would start by swapping wheels from side to side and see if the problem moves and if the drums come off easily I would swap them just to test.
Good trouble shooting advice, I will try that, thanks

Back