2004 Neon SRT-4, Amsoil ASL 5w-30, 3200 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first UOA ever. Blackstone labs is awesome...I sent in the sample on friday and already got the results!

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4, 2.4l turbo

uoa1.jpg

uoa2.jpg

uoa3.jpg

Last edited:
This engine is known to be very easy on oil, why did you change it so soon?

Originally Posted By: buster
This engine is known to be very easy on oil, why did you change it so soon?

Well, it's weird. I was losing more oil than usual and I wasn't sure why. I thought gas was getting mixed with the oil, which is why I sent in a sample. I lost about 1.5 quarts in 2.5k miles, which seems a little excessive.

I'm currently running PP so I will get a UOA on that too after about 3 months.

Reconfigure your PCV system so that it can drain back to the engine (if you've got some catch can setup..or even if you don't). That should end your consumption issues.

Waste of oil. You could have drawn a sample, and left the oil in. Even in a turbo, this oil can easily do 10k miles.

It would be more entertaining to watch your money swirl down a toilet...or vanish in GM stock.

If your not running that oil at LEAST 6k miles you are throwing your money away, I also have an 04 SRT-4 and I would run that oil a minimum of 7.5k and pull a sample.

The reason I changed the oil is because I kept losing too much. I checked the level at 2.5k miles and it was below minimum. I topped it off, then I checked it again at 3.2k miles and it was at minimum again.

I'm not going to continue running an oil that mysteriously disappears, which is why I just completely changed the oil instead of taking a sample. In the past, I've used castrol, M1, PP, and RP, and I've never had an oil loss problem with any of those. I wasn't burning oil, I have a catch can that did not have excessive amounts of oil in it, and I had no oil in my intercooler or piping. I honestly have no idea where the oil is going when I use amsoil.

I have PP in my car now. It's been almost 500 miles and the level is still at MAX.

Ok yeah I wasted money, oh well. It's my money. I would rather waste money by changing an oil earlier than usual (however in this case I think it was best to get the amsoil out of there) than by buying a quart every week just to top it off.

Last edited:
I simply made an observation based on the info at hand. Since you clarified the situation I understand why you dumped the oil early. If the oil is not showing up in the catch can or the intercooler and you are not having the problem with other oils then it seems to me the oil must be getting into the combustion chamber and being burnt?

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
I simply made an observation based on the info at hand. Since you clarified the situation I understand why you dumped the oil early. If the oil is not showing up in the catch can or the intercooler and you are not having the problem with other oils then it seems to me the oil must be getting into the combustion chamber and being burnt?

I'm honestly not sure. I'm stumped. Never had a problem with any other oils.

I guess some cars just don't agree with certain oils; maybe my car just doesn't work well with amsoil even if other srt-4's do.

Yeah, it's really strange, maybe someone else will chime in with some thoughts, but if the oil is not showing up anywhere I would have to assume it's being burned off?
In my SRT-4 I am usually down 6-8 ounces in a 6k mile OCI, but it is always in my catch can and that is with any oil I've used?

Last edited:
If this is the first run, then no problem. I didn't read (challenged
grin2.gif
) that no consumption was ever noted before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back