2004 Mustang transmission service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to service the automatic overdrive transmission in Little Henry and I'm curious what type/brand ATF would be a solid choice in this vehicle?

Maxlife has the best combination of price and availability for a great full synthetic ATF. It is well-liked on here
smile.gif

Walmart's Supertech Synthetic LV ATF is also a good choice, but if you buy the Walmart brand, order it online for store pickup (about $15/gal) because it is much cheaper than just buying it in the store (over $20/gal). This stuff is made by WPP and is the same as any other synthetic LV multi-vehicle ATF they make, including Mag 1.

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get the Dorman pan that has one. It will make future ATF changes MUCH easier!

Probably specced for Mercon V. Several choices there from Ford Mercon V, and Ford Approved Mercon V's in SuperTech Merc V and Castrol Transmax Merc V. I'm not aware of others approved by Ford but there are plenty of others to choose from in MaxLife, Amsoil, RedLine, Amalie, etc. I used Amalie Mercon V for my last trans fluid change in my 2002 Ford AX4N.

Nowhere on the MaxLife bottle will it state it meets Mercon V specs. It's a low viscosity ATF, not a medium/multi-vehicle one. Stick with what Ford recommends, whatever brand you might choose. I'd have used the SuperTech Merc V at $4.25/qt but my local WM was out of it when it was time to do the change. Depending on your dealer, the Ford product can be inexpensive too. I'd get the filter from them just to be sure you get the right one, with the right seal so you don't waste any time...some non-OEM's don't fit as well as others.

Ford fluids by transmission type

I have been using M1 ATF in Fords since about the time their ATF came out. About 25 years ago. I have never had a trans fail. Or PS pump.

Ford Recommends a licensed Mercon v for the 4r70w. Preferably Motorcraft Mercon V (but SuperTech is actually licensed).
That being said there are many other brands that people report good success.

Maxlife is controversial because it has a lower starting viscosity, which is still technically in spec because it does not shear.

My choice would be Motorcraft, Maxlife or anything cheap with an actual license. I have used Napa dex/mercon in a couple of trannies with good results but haven't had the chance to use their mercon V.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
...Maxlife is controversial because it has a lower starting viscosity, which is still technically in spec because it does not shear.

I'd say more than "controversial" because MaxLife (5.9) is not even close to the starting spec of the Mercon V's (7.1-7.6). It might take 10K or 20K miles on the Mercon V to shear down to 5.9, assuming it ever gets there. Using Mercon V or a Mercon substitute might not be so great in a manual transmission where it could likely shear down to under 6.0 in under 10K miles. I saw a 2008? 6 speed Vette factory fluid UOA (Dex/Merc/GM MTL) that sheared down to 5.8 by 8,000 miles. Some track time on that car too. I would think shearing should be less on an automatic vs. a manual transmission.

You can always use a high quality, full synthetic Mercon V that won't shear near as much and hold up in the 6.5-7.5 range. The Mobil 1 ATF is probably in that league.

Go on the motorcraft site, put in your closest big city and distributors (not dealers) may come up. Many of these places are no-frills counters that sell to pros and may sell products to DIYers at a nice discount. Mercon V is around $5 bucks for me, getting close to supertech (and there is never enough in stock, not even worth to bother if there is a sale).

If you do 30K OCIs I think that is more than enough, unless you are doing racing or towing. Then consider synthetic ATFs (as mentioned by 69GTX) such as Mobil and Amsoil (not sure of its viscosity). Those are $10+qt, hard to say under normal use if it would matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back