2004 Mazda 3 - Under car damage

Yesterday, after lunch, a driver of a 2004 Mazda 3 2.3 originally pulled up on what was supposedly a radiator change. But when my boss showed me what he saw, it took out more than just a radiator.

When I examined the aftermath, not only the radiator was destroyed, the A/C condenser, engine oil pan, and oil filter assembly were obliterated. The cause of the damage was a lane divider lodged underneath the car, likely when the driver made a high-speed lane change too late before hitting one of the lane dividers.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever encountered so much damage from underneath the car before the repair even started? And believe me, it drove up to our parking lot, no tow truck whatsoever!

20210423_131036.jpg
20210423_131054.jpg

No way it was driven in. I've done many estimates like this its usually a R&R engine assembly. Looks like one of those customer states youtube videos. Never ceases to amaze me what people do to their cars. Job security.

Luckily it was an old car and the driver didn’t wreck or cause an accident.

It can be fixed. However it’s going to take more money than the car is worth. You might as well show the customer and explain it to them.

Reactions: JC1
a very high curbstone used to divide lanes, when the lanes will go different directions, or sometimes to divide lanes with opposing traffic (median)

No way that car was driven very far with that amount of damage.
Most likely happened extremely close to your shop if it was driven there.

problem is they drove it in.... if the engine dies after you "fixing" the damage they will blame you.

Time for another engine IMO, rebuilding this one will be much more expensive

I would contact owner with estimate
I would advise owner to contact insurance company, if insured
I would make owner sign waiver, and maybe even prepay

If they drove with no oil, then you'll be blamed for the inevitable engine failure
If they drove with no coolant, then you'll be blamed for the blown head gasket
If they drove with no ATF/refrigerant/fluxcapacitorfluid/mufflerbearinggrease, ditto

Back