2004-ish Vibe/Matrix questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Hello,

a. how much room is available, with seats folded down? Looking for length x width.

b. what are the general thoughts on these vehicles? Look so practical for someone who enjoys the outdoors. Don't care about performance, looking for dependability and practicality....

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Hello,

a. how much room is available, with seats folded down? Looking for length x width.

b. what are the general thoughts on these vehicles? Look so practical for someone who enjoys the outdoors. Don't care about performance, looking for dependability and practicality....

Thanks.

I have had a 2007 Vibe for over 3 years now. Bought it with 69K on it and now has 132K. One of the most reliable cars I have ever had.

Total repairs I have done:

Serpentine belt tensioner. Did it myself cost me 85 in parts.

Struts at 120,000 miles.

Front brakes, tires and a battery.

That is it.

I have never had one sensor that needed changed, not one check engine light, nothing. I just drive it and change the oil and that's it. Mine uses no oil, not a drop, ever. Gas mileage is about 27 city/34 highway in the warmer months.

The Aisin-Warner transmission is solid on these cars as is the 1ZZ-FE engine from the Corolla.

The size is actually bigger than it looks. One thing my wife and I love about it is the width. The car is wide and has a lot of room for passengers. It is actually very comfortable. Cargo area is good size for what it is. The seats fold down very flat and it has a built in hard backing on the seat that has tie downs in a track system you can use for stuff.

I am going to buy another Vibe/Matrix when this one ever goes.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
The front passenger seat also folds down, for even more room available.

The Matrix/Vibe is essentially a Corolla wagon, so you will get typical Toyota dependability.

However, early 5-speed manual transmissions did have bearing issues. Some time in 2004 they revised the synchros and fixed the problem.

The 6-speed transmissions on the Vibe GT/Matrix XRS are durable, but early 03-04's have weak clutches (same clutch as a Celica but in a car that weighs 400 lb more)

Automatics don't have any issues at all.

All in all, a 2004 Matrix/Vibe will be a good choice.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
The front passenger seat also folds down, for even more room available.

The Matrix/Vibe is essentially a Corolla wagon, so you will get typical Toyota dependability.

However, early 5-speed manual transmissions did have bearing issues. Some time in 2004 they revised the synchros and fixed the problem.

The 6-speed transmissions on the Vibe GT/Matrix XRS are durable, but early 03-04's have weak clutches (same clutch as a Celica but in a car that weighs 400 lb more)

Automatics don't have any issues at all.

All in all, a 2004 Matrix/Vibe will be a good choice.

Having the front seat go all the way flat is a great feature. I have used that tons of times to haul long wood pieces, put a pizza box on while eating/driving cross country, etc. Pretty handy little car. I even tow a small trailer with mine as it has factory hitch holes that work perfectly with a store bought receiver. I put it on myself in 20 minutes.

Last edited:
I had a 04 matrix. It was a great vehicle. I averaged 32 mpg mix of city and hwy. only reason I sold it was because I got a co car for work so I no longer needed another car. Matrix / vibe are good cars. I would buy another one for the right price.

Cargo area - I think 40" between wheel wells and 60" from the back of the hatch to the front seats. There are lots of people that use them for camping..so it will sleep two if needed.

I am in the same market as you...im deciding between the toyota matrix and honda fit.

From my research:
Matrix- 1.8 1ZZ-FE and auto trans- swiss watch. No real issues, just put gas in, change the oil and go. 30mpg overall is likely. Reviews lean towards practicality, and these vehicles are used in many fleets as courier cars.

Honda Fit- No real issues except for tire choices and alignments- and i think coil packs in earlier models. Reviews almost always lean towards "fun" "love my fit" "fun to drive"

My personal choice is a 2003-2004 Matrix XR. I think they look the best with the front grille. and can be had for $5K to $7K. The same platform was used for many years 2003 to 2008 so u cant go wrong with any of those years.

My daughter just got a 2005 Matrix. I did alot of research before she put her cash down. As previous posters have stated, it seems to be a bulletoroof, practical car. There does seem to be alot of vibration noises on the front pillars where the plastic meets.

Two distinctly different driving experiences Matrix vs Fit. Not sure if that matters but I will even go on to say an older Forester offers more driving experience vs a Matrix.

220k miles on my Vibe. Bought new. Not one issues yet, factory everything sitll. Knock wood.

I'd by a used one, but like most used cars they all seem to be poorly taken care of. Junked out by owners who don't take care of anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back