2004 Impreza WRX STI 3500 Miles Redline 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car is my STI. Changed from factory fill to Redline 5w30 at 1000 Miles. Unit has 4500 Miles when sample was taken. There was 0 make up oil. This car has 3 dyno pulls, and 12 1/4 mile passes and is driven briskly. Worst WRX report ever?

-

The advice from Blackstone sounds reasonable. None of the wear metals looks especially high for break-in except lead, and the lead may be a chemical reaction from the Redline.

Yeah, I'm not too awfully concerned. The car has been a rock so far and has some HARD Miles on it.
grin.gif
. I will stick with the redline over a few intervals to chart its progress...

It doesn't look too bad for a fresh engine. Personally I wouldn't be dino pulls and 1/4 mile passes on such a young motor.

John

Silcon, calcium, moly and the viscosity all look a tad high compared to normal.
dunno.gif
Otherwise, it's an ok report. Still breaking in I guess.

Does anyone think Pb in RL UOAs is something to be concerned about even if it never stabilizes? Fe and Viscosity always seem ok, but Pb bothers me.
dunno.gif

As has already been mentioned ... I think your car is still very new!

offtopic.gif

So how well did it dyno and how do you dyno an all wheel drive car ... disengage the rear drive shaft?

Thx ... JHH

I do not think that Subaru have any issue with Redline and bearing. I think the report looks great for a new motor being worked hard!

I agree with the others above about break-in.

But with the effects of Red Line's motor oil chemistry on bearing material still being something of a mystery, I don't see any point in using it ... especially in a car like the Soobie which shows very little wear with a lot of oils.

Mobil 1, Royal Purple and others (Chevron Supreme?) have all shown fantastic UOA results.

Anyone run Schaeffer S7K 10W30 in one of these beasts yet?
confused.gif
That'd be sumthin' to see.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

The elevated copper and lead is simply the initial reaction of the Redline chemistry with these softer metals. These levels with drop significantly after 1-2 more oil changes and are nothing to be concerned about. Levels of other wear metals look fine for a new engine. The low TBN is due to the rings and cylinder walls still wearing in and will improve as well. This blowby is also why you are seeing a total solids level of 0.5% after only 3500 miles....

I think Redline is an excellent fit to this application. I'd recommend sticking with it and I believe you'll like the results a lot more when you've accumulated 20,000 miles on this engine. Redline is very shear stable and it doesn't oxidize much at very high temps.

I have customers running 7500 mile change intervals in these turbo Sube WRX's with the regular Amsoil 5w-30/ASL. You should be able to run at least that long with Redline once the engine settles down ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by 2004_STI:
It made about 235 UNCORRECTED wheel horsepower up here in Denver about 5800FT.

It was on a dynojet AWD Dyno...

http://www.macautosport.com/More_info.html

Hey man, what did you run at the track? For future reference.....don't post here saying you ran the 1/4 12 times without posting some numbers.....and don't come down to TX with your STi or I will have to teach you a lesson.
grin.gif
patriot.gif

These Subaru engines seem to be very well designed and built. Are the rest of the cars well built too? Could one expect to get as many miles out of a Subaru as they would out of a similar Honda or Toyota? Or are they like a Dodge Cummins pickup, great engine surrounded by questionable truck?

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:

quote:

Originally posted by 2004_STI:
It made about 235 UNCORRECTED wheel horsepower up here in Denver about 5800FT.

It was on a dynojet AWD Dyno...

http://www.macautosport.com/More_info.html

Hey man, what did you run at the track? For future reference.....don't post here saying you ran the 1/4 12 times without posting some numbers.....and don't come down to TX with your STi or I will have to teach you a lesson.
grin.gif
patriot.gif

It's ran 13.70-13.90's...stock @5800 FT.

Only been to Texas once
wink.gif

Palut - I have a Japanese built Subaru Outback and the best vehicle owned yet (24th vehicle). Total quality in every aspect. Sube usually win the annual quality survey here. Honda I believe usually 2nd.

Subes in general seem to be pretty well put together.

If my boss (former turbine engineer) can keep one together for 300,000km after obtaining an MBA and learning the true value of maintenance (he switched to breakdown, rather than preventive), then they can really do anything.

Either they are very well put together, or the owner's kit includes a subliminal tape that they play all night "handles like it's on rails".."symetrical"...."boxer engine".

That's all these guys talk about.

Actually, I'd get one if they suited our plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back